September 2021 Agenda—Mayer, Minnesota
Begin at 9:00am
- To WiFi: MLHS Guest
- How to get to today’s agenda: https://tec21connect.com/, Workshops, Agendas, Mayer, MN, September (You can drag the TEC21 site into your toolbar for easy access)
- Remote learners will join Blackboard Collaborate at 8:45 a.m. https://us.bbcollab.com/guest/92748be050b8446694133510b193964c
- To each other – Grab a breakfast item! Meet your fellow TEC21 participants!
- Shortly we will do an ice breaker activity to begin to get to know one another!
Padlet Check In
- Note: It helps when working with Padlet (the tool we are going to use for this activity) to have a Padlet account. Then your name shows up with your post if you are signed in. If you don’t have an account, I encourage you to take a few minutes and sign up for free HERE. Note your students don’t have to have an account to fill in your created Padlet links.
- On the Padlet board below, click the “+” icon in the column. Create a post that has your name and your four items (see my example). Three of them should be things about you that you are true and that you feel comfortable sharing! One of them should be the fabrication! ?
- Once you have completed your list of four, go around and comment on other people’s posts and try to guess their fabrication! You can comment directly on their Padlet post. Let’s see how many we can guess correctly!
How to Create a Virtual Choir video using DaVinci Resolve 16 by Paul Soulek, Director of Parish and School Music, St. John, Seward, NE
Church & School Music Resources – YouTube Channel by Paul Soulek, St. John, Seward, NE
1. On site necessities: Water fountain (please bring a water bottle and mask) and Restrooms to the left before lobby
2. What does the timeline of a typical workshop day look like?
- Workshop Day Timeline
- 9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Connecting with Teachers
- Connecting with Wi-Fi & each other
- Ice Breaker with group (in September)
- Review–What have you done this past month?
- What new/reoccurring problems/needs are you seeing for yourself this year?
- 9:30 AM – 11:00 AM
- 11:00 AM – 11:30 PM
- Explore the list of Digital Tools and Resources
- 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM
- Further explore the list of Digital Tools and Resources
- Make it, take it, use it
- Go deeper into understanding (peer-to-peer coaching)
- One-on-one with facilitators
- Involve and help time (guide by the side)
- Get connected with one another here and in other cohorts around the country and the world. There are many ways this can be done, but one easy means of doing this is through our TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. You can post to the group any time to share or ask questions. You can even create a room to meet up with others to discuss a hot topic. Consider giving it a shot by starting or joining a discussion!
- Complete the REFLECTION at 1:50 PM
- 9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Connecting with Teachers
- Workshop Day Timeline
3. This series of workshops will provide you the opportunity to grow in a fun, safe and supportive environment. How and what you decide to implement into your classroom is up to you–personalized learning at its best!
- There are program-specific aspects–what we as Facilitators collectively deem as core components across the board.
- There are center-specific aspects–what individual Facilitators include which are practical and relevant to their teachers based on needs and interests.
- In the TEC21 Workshop Program, how are short- and long-term goals defined?
- SHORT-TERM – Some sort of technology integrating lesson or activity you want to do with your students THIS MONTH.
- LONG-TERM – A major change in the way you teach or manage your classroom. “I want to do less of THAT and more of THIS.” It could include a blog, a web site used for flipping your classroom, going paperless with Google Docs, using digital portfolios for student work, integrating project-based learning using a specific tool or tools. There are many possibilities. Think of something you’ve seen or heard about that makes you “spark” and think, “Yeah! I want to do more of THAT!”
4. On our final workshop day, we will gather together for what we have dubbed “Celebration Day”. This particular session’s format is unique among the others in that each of you will share some of the ways in which you implemented your ideas or projects to enhance your teaching and student learning. Think of this as a mini-conference where each of you will have 10-15 minutes to share with the group how your TEC21 experience has impacted your classroom. It’ll be among friends so there’s no need to get worked up about it. Here’s an outline to guide you in your planning – “Celebration Day”. You can share your learning with the group in any way you choose, but we’ll have you start a Google Slide today as an option. Then if you end up presenting in this way you can add to your slides throughout the school year and avoid the pressure of having to develop a presentation toward the end of the program! Again, remember this is a low-key, no pressure, fun day to share with each other our successes (and yes failures) as well as aspirations you might have for things you want to do the next school year! Below is a suggested outline to help you plan.
How to Obtain 3 Graduate-level Credits Through Your TEC21 Experience
Will you be needing to renew your teaching license soon? Are you thinking about pursuing a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction? If you answered “yes” to either of these questions, we encourage you to consider applying to Concordia University, Nebraska, to receive three graduate-level credits for your TEC21 experience. There is no additional work that is required of you and the process is simple. The online application opens February 15 and runs through May 15, 2022. Follow these four easy steps to apply:
On June 1, transcripts will be available upon request. If you ever have questions regarding how these three graduate-level credits could be applied to a master’s degree program now or in the coming years (they are good for 5 years), contact Anna Boriack, Director of Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Innovation Specialist. She will be happy to help you. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Concordia University, Nebraska is a ministry partner of TEC21, so they may email you from time to time to share opportunities of how these credits could be applied toward graduate-level programs they offer.
Please note: The opportunity detailed above is optional. Additionally, all TEC21 participants will receive a certificate on the final workshop day stating 35 professional development hours have been completed through the TEC21 Workshop Program. How state board of education departments and the 35 LCMS districts recognize these 35 hours of professional development vary from state to state and district to district. (For example, see how the Kansas District of the LCMS Licensure Renewal has a distinct process in place for the teachers serving in this district.) So, be sure to contact your respective state’s board of education department or your LCMS district office if you have any questions on how to renew your certificate or license using your TEC21 experience!
We look forward in Workshop #1 to begin getting to know each other and taking a high-level look at the TEC21 ministry.
1. Discover TEC21’s vision and mission – what we do, how we do it and most importantly why we do it.
2. Boost your professional learning network by beginning to connect with one another and the TEC21 community of educators.
3. Gain an understanding of the TEC21 road map for the school year culminating at the end of the school year with “Celebration Day”.
4. Explore, discover and reimagine the plethora of Google applications and ways in which they can be used for teaching and student learning. We’ll learn best practices from each other by sharing how we use some of these resourceful tools in our own classrooms.
The TEC21 Ministry
Throughout this program, we will be discovering how impactful it is to be connecting with other educators outside of our own school buildings. In fact, we believe it is mission-critical in Lutheran education today for our faithful and dedicated teachers to be equipped, encouraged and supported by one another because teachers are each other’s BEST resources! To help us to extend the supportive relationships, we have established a web-presence on a number of different social media platforms. We invite you to connect with us on any of them so that we can extend the learning and support to you outside of our monthly sessions. We also hope that the relationships we will be building this year will continue to be a blessing to your teaching ministry for many years to come! Know that as a team of facilitators, we will always be here to support you! #LutheranSchoolsThrive
Facebook Group: Engage with TEC21 Educators going all the way back to “Season 1” to ask questions and share ideas to support one another (We’ll be taking a much closer look at his one today as this is how we provide support to you outside of our face-to-face sessions!)
Facebook: Please help us get the word out to as many teachers as possible about the TEC21 Workshop Program by “Liking” us on the TEC21 Facebook Page!
Instagram: Follow TEC_21 so you can enjoy the fun pics taken at our workshop centers from year to year.
Expand Your Professional Learning Network
Check your email to request to join the TEC21 Educators Group!
We’ve created this group for TEC21 Teachers and TEC21 Facilitators. Why should you join this group? Because building your professional learning network is vital in teaching today to connect, share, inspire, grow, and support one another. This Facebook group affords us the ability to extend our learning and support beyond our face-to-face workshop sessions. It also enables us to connect all of our TEC21 educators in each of our innovation centers with one another as well as with past TEC21 Teachers. It’s an excellent way for us to remain connected and to support one another for many years to come. Check your email for a link to join. Brent and Helena are online ready to approve your request to get you in!
Theory and Standards that Ground Tech Integration
All Things Google
Google Folders: Create a Google Slides Presentation
The Google tools that I use most frequently are Google Drive, Folders, Slides, and Docs. This allows me to organize materials in online folders for easy access, collaboration, and posting. Today we will create a Google Slide presentation within this shared Google Folder so you can share ideas throughout the year AND you have a presentation ready for Celebration Day at the end of the year!
Your Task: Create a GoogleSlide Presentation in the folder linked above by making a copy of my sample presentation. 1. Include a cover slide with your name, Celebration Day, and a picture you like. Select a Theme for the presentation or use the Explore button to make each slide different! 2. Create a slide for September. You will add the ideas with links that you implement with your class this month before we meet in October. 3. You will create a slide each month with links to student projects and/or teacher products you create and noting the tool you use for each. Be sure links are shared so “anyone with the link can view.”
To practice using the Chrome Web Store, we will be checking out a couple of easy extensions you can add to your Chrome browser-“Tab Scissors” and “Tab Glue.” These extensions are easy to add and use, and help us as teachers organize how we work when we have a lot of Chrome tabs open at the same time. Also makes dragging and dropping easier.
Exploring Google Docs with a Partner
Click on the above Google Doc. Make a copy of the doc in your TEC21 Google Folder so you can edit. With a partner, work your way through the document to locate and use tools and features of Google Docs you may not have known about! If you try all the tools, insert options, highlighting and right clicking and are unable to complete a task, ask a friend. Have fun!
Collaborative Sharing of Chrome extensions, Google Workspace add-ons, and Early Childhood tech tools
Scroll down to find a Padlet for sharing favorite Chrome extensions and Google Workspace add-ons. Click on the + to add a tool you like, or if you are not using them yet, to get ideas from colleagues. Then go down to the Center-Specific Wakelet and go down to the Early Childhood tools and tips. Add a tool or project you use with students here. Please add at least one idea to at least one Padlet to learn how to use this amazing tool and to share ideas with TEC21 teachers across the globe! Padlet is a tool you can use with students of all ages because they don’t have to create an account, just click on the link you share. Young children can use Voice Typing on the Chromebook or iPad keyboard to complete. Always type Name on the first line so you can tell who is posting. Note they can include a picture, website, and more in addition to text. It is always listed as a top tool for learning and one with which you should be familiar.
Top Digital Tools & Resources on Google Workspace
Center- and Educator-specific Digital Tools & Resources
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
1. Digital: Explore further a tool or idea from today’s session. It can be student-centered, teacher-centered or both. Come ready to share your experience when we meet again in October!
2. Social: Consider following TEC21 on the social media platforms of your choice. Also, be sure to request to join the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. As a result, we will connect, share, inspire, grow, and support one another making our Lutheran schools thrive!
3. Spiritual: Again, with the words connect, share, inspire, grow, and support in mind, encourage a colleague and be a resource to them between now and October’s session.
To open the reflection in its own tab, select HERE.
My Contact Info
Please feel free to reach out if you ever need any help with technology integration or you have questions about something we covered in TEC21! I am always happy to help.
Cell: 402-641-5967 (call or text)
Dismiss at 2:00pm