September 2021 Agenda—Glen Burnie, Maryland
Begin at 9:00am
- To WiFi: MS Connect PW: Galatianstwo20
- How to get to today’s agenda: If you can read this, you’re already there.
- To each other – Grab a breakfast item! Meet your fellow TEC21 participants!
- Shortly we will make our guesses in our Three Truths and a Lie Padlet activity.
Activity #1: Social (Pre-Workshop)
- Click the above Hello! link to record a short Introduction video using Flipgrid. (Join Code, if needed: b28a48c2)
- Then meet the other teachers in our Southeastern District TEC21 cohort!
Activity #2: Spiritual
- Add to the Prayer Padlet any thoughts you’d like to share as we begin our school year and this TEC21 adventure.
Activity #3: Spiritual
When considering the question, “Who Am I?,” we can be tempted to answer in many earthly ways, with achievements or titles. Of course, the most beautiful, sincere, and uplifting answer comes through the eyes of our heavenly Creator and Redeemer. The truest answer lies in Christ Jesus.
- Together, we are going to explore some of the facets of this answer by building a collaborative Google Slides presentation.
- Please click the above Who Am I? link to access our activity.
Activity #4: Social
- Choose the fabrications! These are fun! … AND I think we can find some kinship in our GIF feelings as we start this school year!!
1. Water fountain? Restrooms?
2. What does the timeline of a typical workshop day look like?
- Workshop Day Timeline
- 9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Connecting with Teachers
- Connecting with Wi-Fi & each other
- Ice Breaker with group (in September)
- Review–What have you done this past month?
- What new/reoccurring problems/needs are you seeing for yourself this year?
- 9:30 AM – 11:00 AM
- 11:00 AM – 11:30 PM
- Explore the list of Digital Tools and Resources
- 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- LUNCH (group decision)
- 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM
- Further explore the list of Digital Tools and Resources
- Make it, take it, use it
- Go deeper into understanding (peer-to-peer coaching)
- One-on-one with teachers
- Involve and help time (guide by the side)
- Get connected with one another here and in other cohorts around the country and the world. There are many ways this can be done, but one easy means of doing this is through our TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. You can post to the group any time to share or ask questions. You can even create a room to meet up with others to discuss a hot topic. Consider giving it a shot by starting or joining a discussion!
- Complete the REFLECTION at 1:50 PM
- 9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Connecting with Teachers
- Workshop Day Timeline
3. This series of workshops will provide you the opportunity to grow in a fun, safe and supportive environment. How and what you decide to implement into your classroom is up to you–personalized learning at its best!
- There are program-specific aspects–what we as Facilitators collectively deem as core components across the board.
- There are center-specific aspects–what individual Facilitators include which are practical and relevant to their teachers based on needs and interests.
- In the TEC21 Workshop Program, how are short- and long-term goals defined?
- SHORT-TERM – Some sort of technology integrating lesson or activity you want to do with your students THIS MONTH.
- LONG-TERM – A major change in the way you teach or manage your classroom. “I want to do less of THAT and more of THIS.” It could include a blog, a web site used for flipping your classroom, going paperless with Google Docs, using digital portfolios for student work, integrating project-based learning using a specific tool or tools. There are many possibilities. Think of something you’ve seen or heard about that makes you “spark” and think, “Yeah! I want to do more of THAT!”
4. On our final workshop day, we will gather together for what we have dubbed “Celebration Day”. This particular session’s format is unique among the others in that each of you will share some of the ways in which you implemented your ideas or projects to enhance your teaching and student learning. Think of this as a mini-conference where each of you will have 10-15 minutes to share with the group how your TEC21 experience has impacted your classroom. It’ll be among friends so there’s no need to get worked up about it. Here’s an outline to guide you in your planning – “Celebration Day”. You can share your learning with the group in any way you choose, but we’ll have you start a Google Slide today just as an option. Then if you end up presenting in this way you can add to your slides throughout the school year and avoid the pressure of having to develop a presentation toward the end of the program! Again, remember this is a low-key, no pressure, fun day to share with each other our successes (and yes failures) as well as aspirations you might have for things you want to do the next school year! Below is a suggested outline to help you plan.
How to Obtain 3 Graduate-level Credits Through Your TEC21 Experience
On June 1, transcripts will be available upon request. If you ever have questions regarding how these three graduate-level credits could be applied to a master’s degree program now or in the coming years (they are good for 5 years), contact Anna Boriack, Director of Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Innovation Specialist. She will be happy to help you. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Concordia University, Nebraska is a ministry partner of TEC21, so they may email you from time to time to share opportunities of how these credits could be applied toward graduate-level programs they offer.
Please note: The opportunity detailed above is optional. Additionally, all TEC21 participants will receive a certificate on the final workshop day stating 35 professional development hours have been completed through the TEC21 Workshop Program. How state board of education departments and the 35 LCMS districts recognize these 35 hours of professional development vary from state to state and district to district. (For example, see how the Kansas District of the LCMS Licensure Renewal has a distinct process in place for the teachers serving in this district.) So, be sure to contact your respective state’s board of education department or your LCMS district office if you have any questions on how to renew your certificate or license using your TEC21 experience!
We look forward in Workshop #1 to begin getting to know each other and taking a high-level look at the TEC21 ministry.
1. Discover TEC21’s vision and mission – what we do, how we do it and most importantly why we do it.
2. Boost your professional learning network by beginning to connect with one another and the TEC21 community of educators.
3. Gain an understanding of the TEC21 road map for the school year culminating at the end of the school year with “Celebration Day”.
4. Explore, discover and reimagine the plethora of Google applications and ways in which they can be used for teaching and student learning. We’ll learn best practices from each other by sharing how we use some of these resourceful tools in our own classrooms.
The TEC21 Ministry
Throughout this program, we will be discovering how impactful it is to be connecting with other educators outside of our own school buildings. In fact, we believe it is mission-critical in Lutheran education today for our faithful and dedicated teachers to be equipped, encouraged and supported by one another because teachers are each other’s BEST resources! To help us to extend the supportive relationships, we have established a web-presence on a number of different social media platforms. We invite you to connect with us on any of them so that we can extend the learning and support to you outside of our monthly sessions. We also hope that the relationships we will be building this year will continue to be a blessing to your teaching ministry for many years to come! Know that as a team of facilitators, we will always be here to support you! #LutheranSchoolsThrive
Facebook Group: Engage with TEC21 Educators going all the way back to “Season 1” to ask questions and share ideas to support one another (We’ll be taking a much closer look at his one today as this is how we provide support to you outside of our face-to-face sessions!)
Facebook: Please help us get the word out to as many teachers as possible about the TEC21 Workshop Program by “Liking” us on the TEC21 Facebook Page!
Instagram: Follow TEC_21 so you can enjoy the fun pics taken at our workshop centers from year to year.
Expand Your Professional Learning Network
Check your email to request to join the TEC21 Educators Group!
We’ve created this group for TEC21 Teachers and TEC21 Facilitators. Why should you join this group? Because building your professional learning network is vital in teaching today to connect, share, inspire, grow, and support one another. This Facebook group affords us the ability to extend our learning and support beyond our face-to-face workshop sessions. It also enables us to connect all of our TEC21 educators in each of our innovation centers with one another as well as with past TEC21 Teachers. It’s an excellent way for us to remain connected and to support one another for many years to come. Check your email for a link to join. Brent and Helena are online ready to approve your request to get you in!
Theory and Standards that Ground Tech Integration
Top Digital Tools & Resources on Google Workspace
Using collaborative Google Docs, edit together as a group.
With your partner, sign up for a TEC21 Workshop day to provide simple breakfast items/ snacks for the group. Most people bring their own drinks, but having a few water bottles to go with your breakfast items may help anyone who forgot their drink that day.
PARTNERS: Leslie & Suzanne Monica & Jenifer Andrea & Kirsten Bea & Tracey
ABOUT THIS TOOL: Google Docs is a free Web-based application in which documents can be created, edited and stored online. Files can be accessed from any computer with an Internet connection and a full-featured Web browser. … Google Docs is compatible with most presentation software and word processor applications.
Activity #6: Digital … Partner
(#6) Explore Google’s Jamboard with your partner by working together to put the words of this Bible verse in order.
ABOUT THIS TOOL: Jamboard is a digital interactive whiteboard developed by Google to work with Google Workspace, formerly known as G Suite. It can be used for online collaboration using Google Workspace.
Activity #7: Digital … Individual
ABOUT THIS TOOL: With Google Forms, you can create a survey, quiz, or response tool with options including Multiple Choice, TF, Short Answer, Paragraph Responses, Drop Down List, Check Boxes, Linear Scale, and more. Responses automatically download in a spreadsheet.
Activity #8: Digital … Individual
Inside the linked folder, create a new Google Slides presentation to update monthly with tech-tools you try in your classorom. Drop notes or links to yourself in it during workshops, then as you try those ideas in your classroom, update the Google Slidedeck so you’ll be all set to present to the group on Celebration Day at the end of the school year! This can be further enhanced with examples that are produced – by you or by students.
ABOUT THIS TOOL: Google Slides lets you collaborate with others creating slides in real time. You can insert text boxes, images, videos, shapes, arrows, equations, and callouts. … You can rearrange slides, change presentation styles, and add speaker notes.
More Time? …. Activities to Choose … Partner or Individual
ABOUT THESE TOOLS:
- Google Sites: Build a website for information. …and a resource on updated features: New Google Sites Features – Templates & Banners – YouTube
- Google Drawings is a virtual board that allows users to create content by drawing, pasting images, linking videos and websites, and inserting text, shapes, tables, and other content onto a page in Google Drive. Users can create flow charts, diagrams, concept maps, visual storyboards, original art and more. …and a resource to learn more: A Guide to Google Drawings for Teachers, Students, and Bloggers
- Google Sheets is a Web-based application that allows users to create, update and modify spreadsheets and share the data live online. The Ajax-based program is compatible with Microsoft Excel and CSV (comma-separated values) files. Sheets can also be saved as HTML.
Google’s Learning Management System
Google Classroom. Google Classroom is a free web service developed by Google for schools that aims to simplify creating, distributing, and grading assignments. The primary purpose of Google Classroom is to streamline the process of sharing files between teachers and students.
… plus a resource to get you started… Google Classroom Setup and Add Students tutorial
… plus a resource for tips and tricks… 60 Smarter Ways to Use Google Classroom
For younger students, check out Seesaw …
(more information below)
More Google: Add-ons and Extensions
Add-Ons for Docs:
- Mindmeister (makes a mind map from a bulleted list),
- LucidChart (creates diagrams),
- Translate (translates text into a variety of languages),
- Kaizena (voice comments),
- EasyBib Bibliography Creator (creates references).
Add-Ons for Slides:
- PearDeck (makes presentations interactive by inserting slides to collect every student’s responses) PearDeck.com/join Then export student results to a spreadsheet by clicking on your session. (Let’s watch a quick PearDeck video!)
To get these, and MANY more: Google Workplace Marketplace (aka G-Suite Marketplace)
Google Chrome Extensions, Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Keep, etc.
Activities #9 and #10 – Add-ons and Extensions: Digital … Individual
(#9) To practice using the Chrome Web Store, we will check out a couple of easy extensions you can add to your Chrome browser – “Tab Scissors” and “Tab Glue.” These extensions are easy to add and use, and help us as teachers organize how we work when we have a lot of Chrome tabs open at the same time.
(#10) Earlier we met PearDeck. If you liked it, go to the Google Play Store and search for PearDeck to add on as well!
…plus a video resource to watch when you are ready to begin using PearDeck:
Add PearDeck Qustions to an Existing Presentation: Busy teachers may not have time to create all new PearDeck presentations with interactive slides. This tutorial video shows how to easily add in PearDeck questions to already existing presentations, made in Google Slides (or made in PowerPoint, with simple instructions to convert them into Google Slides)… as well as instructions to access the Pear Deck add-on to make this who interactive experience easily work for the busy teacher!
Center- and Educator-specific Digital Tools & Resources
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
1. Digital: Explore further a tool or idea from today’s session. It can be student-centered, teacher-centered or both. Come ready to share your experience when we meet again in October!
2. Social: Consider following TEC21 on the social media platforms of your choice. Also, be sure to request to join the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. As a result, we will connect, share, inspire, grow, and support one another making our Lutheran schools thrive!
3. Spiritual: Again, with the words connect, share, inspire, grow, and support in mind, encourage a colleague and be a resource to them between now and October’s session.
To open the reflection in its own tab, select HERE.
My Contact Info
Please feel free to reach out if you ever need any help with technology integration or you have questions about something we do this year! I am always happy to help.
Phone: 443-325-3675 (call or text)
I can also be found on Facebook (@TraceyKretzschmarGove)
Dismiss at 2:00pm