September 2020 Agenda—Fort Dodge, Iowa
Begin at 9:00am
- To WiFi:
- How to get to today’s agenda: If you can read this, you’re already there.
- To each other – Grab a breakfast item! Meet your fellow TEC21 participants!
- Shortly we will do an ice breaker activity to begin to get to know one another!
How many hats do we wear? Who ARE we exactly? When considering these questions, we know that our identity is truly found in Christ. How often in our jobs and lives, is it all about what we do when, in fact, it needs to be about who we are in Christ. The world tells us the lies of needing to be more, achieve more, and wear more hats, where God tells us the truth that we are His child, wise, and restored (1 Corinthians 1:30 and 2 Corinthians 5:17)
1. Water fountain? Restrooms?
2. What does the timeline of a typical workshop day look like?
- Workshop Day Timeline
- 9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Connecting with Teachers
- Connecting with Wi-Fi & each other
- Ice Breaker with group
- Review–What have you done this past month?
- What new/reoccurring problems/needs are you seeing for yourself this year?
- 9:30 AM – 11:00 AM
- 11:00 AM – 11:30 PM
- Explore the list of Digital Tools and Resources
- 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- LUNCH (group decision)
- 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM
- Further explore the list of Digital Tools and Resources
- Make it, take it, use it
- Go deeper into understanding (peer-to-peer coaching)
- One-on-one with teachers
- Involve and help time (guide by the side)
- Get networked, get social, be active with one another here and in other cohorts around the country and the world (Google Hangouts/Meet, Skype, Zoom, etc.)
- Complete the REFLECTION at 1:50 PM
- 9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Connecting with Teachers
- Workshop Day Timeline
3. This series of workshops will provide you the opportunity to grow in a fun, safe and supportive environment. How and what you decide to implement into your classroom is up to you–personalized learning at its best!
- There are program-specific aspects–what we as Facilitators collectively deem as core components across the board.
- There are center-specific aspects–what individual Facilitators include which are practical and relevant to their teachers based on needs and interests.
- In the TEC21 Workshop Program, how are short- and long-term goals defined?
- SHORT-TERM – Some sort of technology integrating lesson or activity you want to do with your students THIS MONTH.
- LONG-TERM – A major change in the way you teach or manage your classroom. “I want to do less of THAT and more of THIS.” It could include a blog, a web site used for flipping your classroom, going paperless with Google Docs, using digital portfolios for student work, integrating project-based learning using a specific tool or tools. There are many possibilities. Think of something you’ve seen or heard about that makes you “spark” and think, “Yeah! I want to do more of THAT!”
4. On our final workshop day, we will gather together for what we have dubbed “Celebration Day”. This particular session’s format is unique among the others in that each of you will share some of the ways in which you implemented your ideas or projects to enhance your teaching and student learning. Think of this as a mini-conference where each of you will have 10-15 minutes to share with the group how your TEC21 experience has impacted your classroom. It’ll be among friends so there’s no need to get worked up about it. Here’s an outline to guide you in your planning – “Celebration Day”. You can share your learning with the group in any way you choose, but we’ll have you start a Google Slide today just as an option. Then if you end up presenting in this way you can add to your slides throughout the school year and avoid the pressure of having to develop a presentation toward the end of the program! Again, remember this is a low-key, no pressure, fun day to share with each other our successes (and yes failures) as well as aspirations you might have for things you want to do the next school year!
5. Are you needing college credit to renew your teaching license? If you are, then you can receive three graduate-level credits at the end of our program through Concordia University, Nebraska. There is no additional work that is above and beyond what you’re doing anyway from month to month so it’s just an added bonus to get credit for your TEC21 experience. Here are the details:
- The cost is $80/credit hour
- The online application process opens up on March 1, 2021 and closes May 15, 2021
- Concordia University is a ministry partner of TEC21 so they will email you from time to time this year to provide you with more information
6. Upcoming events:
- The next workshop date is scheduled for Thursday, Oct.15
We look forward in Workshop #1 to begin getting to know each other and taking a high-level look at the TEC21 ministry.
1. Discover TEC21’s vision and mission – what we do, how we do it and most importantly why we do it.
2. Boost your professional learning network by connecting to the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook.
3. Gain an understanding of the TEC21 road map for the school year culminating at the end of the school year with “Celebration Day”.
4. Explore and discover Google educational applications for the classroom. We’ll learn best practices from each other by sharing how we use some of these resourceful tools in our classrooms.
The TEC21 Ministry
Here are some ways TEC21 facilitators and teachers connect online to further build and strengthen their professional learning network:
Facebook Group: Engage with TEC21 Educators going all the way back to “Season 1” to ask questions and share ideas to support one another (We’ll be taking a much closer look at his one today as this is how we provide support to you outside of our face-to-face sessions!)
Facebook: Please help us get the word out to as many teachers as possible about the TEC21 Workshop Program by “Liking” us on the TEC21 Facebook Page!
Pinterest: Follow TEC21’s collaborative board and we’ll invite you to pin along with hundreds of other teaches on the shared board! If you don’t receive an invitation, be sure to let one of the facilitators know so we can add you as a collaborator.
Instagram: Follow TEC_21 so you can enjoy the fun pics taken at our workshop centers from year to year.
Growing Your Professional Learning Network
Check your email to request to join the TEC21 Educators Group!
We’ve created this group for TEC21 Teachers and TEC21 Facilitators. Why should you join this group? Because building your professional learning network is vital in teaching today to connect, share, inspire, grow, and support one another. This Facebook group affords us the ability to extend our learning and support beyond our face-to-face workshop sessions. It also enables us to connect all of our TEC21 educators in each of our innovation centers with one another as well as with past TEC21 Teachers. It’s an excellent way for us to remain connected and to support one another for many years to come. Check your email for a link to join. Brent and Helena are online ready to approve your request to get you in!
Theory and Standards that Ground Tech Integration
All Things Google
Google Classroom is a blended learning platform developed by Google for schools that aims to simplify creating, distributing and grading assignments in a paperless way.
Google Drawings is a free, web-based diagramming software developed by Google. It allows users to collaborate and work together in real time to create flowcharts, organizational charts, website wireframes, mind maps, concept maps, and other types of diagrams.
Google Drive is a file storage and synchronization service developed by Google. Google Drive allows users to store files in the cloud, synchronize files across devices, and share files.
Google Slides lets you collaborate with others creating slides in real time. You can insert text boxes, images, videos, shapes, arrows, equations, and callouts. … You can rearrange slides, change presentation styles, and add speaker notes.
Google Docs is a free Web-based application in which documents can be created, edited and stored online. Files can be accessed from any computer with an Internet connection and a full-featured Web browser. … Google Docs is compatible with most presentation software and word processor applications.
Google Sheets is a Web-based application that allows users to create, update and modify spreadsheets and share the data live online. The Ajax-based program is compatible with Microsoft Excel and CSV (comma-separated values) files. Sheets can also be saved as HTML.
Google sites With the new Google Sites, building websites is easy. Just drag content where you need it. When you create a new site, it’s automatically added to Drive
Digital Citizenship Integration
What aspects of digital citizenship need to be addressed before each online lesson?
- Internet Safety
- Privacy & Security
- Relationships & Communication
- Digital Footprint & Reputation
- Self-image & Identity
- Information Literacy
- Creative Credit & Copyright
Digital Tools & Resources
ClassTools.net is awesome and easy to use! This free online tools includes a variety of tools for classroom management and lessons. Options include the random name generator, timer, breaking news generator, SMS generator and Fakebook template.
Geared toward elementary school, 5th grade and below, ABCya! offers learning games that are categorized by content and grade level. The app has limited games available compared to the full web version. Both options offer solid supplementary learning games
Ever dream of being a game show host? Kahoot let you create your own quiz show. You create the questions ahead of time, or use one of the many quizzes already created by the Kahoot community. Student login to Kahoot.it using the game code you generate and the game begins. Points are awarded for both speed and accuracy.
Go Noodle Tutorial videos about any subject you can imagine. You can also take quizzes and test your knowledge. Some activities can be used for brain breaks or just for a fun activity (especially on days with no outside recess!
Epic A digital library with thousands of FREE children’s books when you register as a teacher. Epic! makes it easy to search book types: picture, chapter, fact, comic, early, and read to me. (PreK – 6th)
Voki: Voki is a fun tool that students can use for homework, classwork or projects. Customize their appearance and what they say, and share with others!
Google Teacher Tribe: A podcast with tips, tricks, and updates. It’s a great way to get inspired, stay motivated, get new ideas, or trouble shoot any struggles.
Safe Share: Safe share is a great resource to remove unwanted ads from YouTube videos. It also allows you to create a clip from a video.
Quick draw is a fun website where you draw pictures that the computer has to guess. For all ages-just for fun! Practice using the mouse or drawing pad.
Screencastify Screencastify is the #1 free screen recorder for Chrome. No download required. Record, edit and share videos in seconds.
Funbrain: Created for kids in grades Pre-K through 8, Funbrain.com has been the leader in free educational games for kids since 1997. Funbrain offers hundreds of games, books, comics, and videos that develop skills in math, reading, problem-solving and literacy.
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
Time and Support for Project Development
1. Digital: Explore further a tool or idea from today’s session. It can be learner-centered, teacher-centered or a combination of both. Come ready to share your experience when we meet again in October!
2. Social: Consider following TEC21 on the social media platforms of your choice. Also, be sure to request to join the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. As a result, we will connect, share, inspire, grow, and support one another making our Lutheran schools thrive!
3. Spiritual: Again, with the words connect, share, inspire, grow, and support in mind, encourage a colleague and be a resource to them between now and October’s session.
To open the reflection in its own tab, select HERE.
Dismiss at 2:00pm
My Contact Info
Amy Schroeder 515-230-3990 email@example.com