September 2019 Agenda—Norfolk, Nebraska
Begin at 9:00am
- To WiFi:
- How to get to today’s agenda: If you can read this, you’re already there.
- To each other – Grab a breakfast item! Meet your fellow TEC21 participants!
- Shortly we will do an ice breaker activity to begin to get to know one another!
I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.
1. Water fountain? Restrooms?
2. What does the timeline of a typical workshop day look like?
- Workshop Day Timeline
- 9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Connecting with Teachers
- Connecting with Wi-Fi & each other
- Ice Breaker with group (in September)
- Review–What have you done this past month?
- What new/reoccurring problems/needs are you seeing for yourself this year?
- 9:30 AM – 11:00 AM
- Digital Citizenship Integration
- 11:00 AM – 11:30 PM
- Genius Hour
- 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- LUNCH (group decision)
- 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM
- Explore the list of “Digital Tools and Resources”
- Make it, take it, use it
- Go deeper into understanding (peer-to-peer coaching)
- One-on-one with teachers
- Involve and help time (guide by the side)
- Get networked, get social, be active with one another here and in other cohorts around the country (Google Hangouts, Skype, etc.)
- Complete the REFLECTION at 1:50 PM
- 9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Connecting with Teachers
- Workshop Day Timeline
3. This series of workshops will provide you the opportunity to grow in a fun, safe and supportive environment. How and what you decide to implement into your classroom is up to you–personalized learning at its best!
- There are program-specific aspects–what we as Facilitators collectively deem as core components across the board.
- There are center-specific aspects–what individual Facilitators include which are practical and relevant to their teachers based on needs and interests.
- In the TEC21 Workshop Program, how are short- and long-term goals defined?
- SHORT-TERM – Some sort of technology integrating lesson or activity you want to do with your students THIS MONTH.
- LONG-TERM – A major change in the way you teach or manage your classroom. “I want to do less of THAT and more of THIS.” It could include a blog, a web site used for flipping your classroom, going paperless with Google Docs, using digital portfolios for student work, integrating project based learning using a specific tool or tools. There are many possibilities. Think of something you’ve seen or heard about that makes you “spark” and think, “Yeah! I want to do more of THAT!”
4. On our final workshop day, we will gather together for what we have dubbed “Celebration Day”. This particular session’s format is unique among the others in that each of you will share some of the ways in which you implemented your ideas or projects to enhance your teaching and student learning. Think of this as a mini-conference where each of you will have 10-15 minutes to share with the group how your TEC21 experience has impacted your classroom. It’ll be among friends so there’s no need to get worked up about it. Here’s an outline to guide you in your planning – “Celebration Day”.
5. Are you needing college credit to renew your teaching license or to increase your salary on your church’s pay scale? If you are, then you can receive three graduate-level credits at the end of our program through Concordia University, Nebraska. There is no additional work that is above and beyond what you’re doing anyway from month to month so it’s just an added bonus to get credit for your TEC21 experience. Here are the details:
- The cost is $80/credit hour
- The online application process opens up on March 1, 2020 and closes April 30, 2020
- Concordia University is a ministry partner of TEC21 so they will email you from time to time this year to provide you with more information
6. Upcoming events:
- The next workshop date is scheduled for (day of the week), (date)
- Facilitators, please promote any other local, regional or national events (e.g. local pd opportunities such as EdCamps, district fall conferences, LEA Convocation, etc. – all of which provide great opportunities for TEC21 teachers to connect outside of the workshops)
We look forward in Workshop #1 to begin getting to know each other and taking a high-level look at the TEC21 ministry.
1. Discover TEC21’s vision and mission – what we do, how we do it and most importantly why we do it.
2. Boost your professional learning network by connecting to the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook.
3. Gain an understanding of the TEC21 road map for the school year culminating at the end of the school year with “Celebration Day”.
4. Explore and discover Google educational applications for the classroom. We’ll learn best practices from each other by sharing how we use some of these resourceful tools in our classrooms.
The TEC21 Ministry
Here are some ways TEC21 facilitators and teachers connect online to further build and strengthen their professional learning network:
Facebook Group: Engage with TEC21 Educators going all the way back to “Season 1” to ask questions and share ideas to support one another (We’ll be taking a much closer look at his one today as this is how we provide support to you outside of our face-to-face sessions!)
Facebook: Please help us get the word out to as many teachers as possible about the TEC21 Workshop Program by “Liking” us on the TEC21 Facebook Page!
Pinterest: Follow TEC21’s collaborative board and we’ll invite you to pin along with hundreds of other teaches on the shared board! If you don’t receive an invitation, be sure to let one of the facilitators know so we can add you as a collaborator.
Instagram: Follow TEC_21 so you can enjoy the fun pics taken at our workshop centers from year to year.
Growing Your Professional Learning Network
1. The TEC21 Facilitators Group:
- The TEC21 Facilitators created this closed Facebook group for us to share ideas, plan, and support one another so we can effectively implement our program. This online platform is a powerful behind-the-scenes tool that enables us to collaborate and network with each other from all over the world. In fact, one of our team members even teaches in China!
2. The TEC21 Educators Group:
- We’ve also created this closed group for TEC21 Teachers and TEC21 Facilitators. Why should you join this group? Because building your professional learning network is vital in teaching today to connect, share, inspire, grow, and support one another. This platform affords us the ability to extend our learning and support beyond our face-to-face workshop sessions. It also enables us to connect all of our TEC21 educators in each of our innovation centers with one another and with past TEC21 Teachers. It’s an excellent way for us to remain connected and to support one another for many years to come. Check your email for a link to join. Brent and Helena are online ready to approve your request to get you in!
Theory and Standards that Ground Tech Integration
All Things Google
Make it, take it – Let’s create a Google Form!
- Give it a title.
- Build your form by adding different question types.
- You might search a YouTube video, grab the url and insert video into the the form.
- Spruce up the form by changing the default theme using one of Google’s featured theme’s or select customize to change font and color scheme and to insert an image for the background and/or header.
Google Docs is a free Web-based application in which documents can be created, edited and stored online. Files can be accessed from any computer with an Internet connection and a full-featured Web browser. … Google Docs is compatible with most presentation software and word processor applications.
Google Slides lets you collaborate with others creating slides in real time. You can insert text boxes, images, videos, shapes, arrows, equations, and callouts. … You can rearrange slides, change presentation styles, and add speaker notes.
Much More GOOGLE!
Add-ons for Google Sheets, Docs, Slides, Forms, and Gmail
Digital Citizenship Integration
Genius Hour Unit 1: Generate the idea
This month, we want you to begin to consider a major change in the way you teach or manage your classroom. “I want to do less of THAT and more of THIS.” It could include a blog, a website used for flipping your classroom, going paperless with Google Docs, using digital portfolios for student work, integrating project based learning using a specific tool or tools – there are many possibilities. Think of something you’ve seen or heard about that makes you “spark” and think, “Yeah! I want to do more of THAT!”
- “What is Genius Hour?” (Genius Hour)
- How to Build Community Leaders of Today – And Tomorrow – Through Genius Hour (EdSurge, 2017)
- Genius Hour in Elementary School (Edutopia, 2017)
- Tips and Tricks to Keep Kids on Track During Genius Hour (MindShift, 2017)
- Inspire Drive, Creativity in the Classroom with 20-Time (20-Time in Education)
- 20-Time Projects in Education: 41 Projects in 4 Minutes (YouTube, 2014)
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
Digital Tools & Resources
Google Classroom now allows you to create your own classes online. Post links to teaching materials, allow students to post links to created materials, go paperless. Also ideas for using Google Classroom outside the Classroom.
Seesaw is an amazing digital portfolio that allows students on all devices demonstrate their learning through pictures, videos and drawings. Seesaw works on all devices and even connects with Google Drive. For grades K-12
TeachEngineering is a searchable, web-based digital library collection comprised of standards-based engineering curricula for use by K-12 educators to make applied science and math come alive through engineering design in K-12 settings.
Tired of the boring popsicle sticks when picking students to read and answer questions? Random Name Picker uses a spinner to pick students. Fun and engaging! Just another great tool from Classtools.net.
The Bridge Designer will provide you with a realistic introduction to engineering through an authentic, hands-on design experience. This software provides you with the tools to model, test, and optimize a steel highway bridge, based on realistic specifications, constraints, and performance criteria.
Flipgrid allows teachers to set up a site (“grid”) and pose a question via video for students or others to answer, also via video. Users respond to the initial question, with their responses becoming part of a threaded video conversation. You can create one free, then need to delete it before creating a new one.
Flippity is a website that gives you a demo/instructions/template for turning a Google spreadsheet into a number of classroom tools such as memory game, flash cards, mad libs, bingo, badge tracker and more! After you have explored the options, open a Google sheet, then get the “add-on” for Flippity. That way you can access the templates any time you open up a Google sheet.
Desmos.com is the best online graphing calculator! Extremely easy to use, this site will easily graph equations, no matter the complexity! From basic algebra through complex quadratics, Desmos can handle it all! There are many, many resources for teachers also!
A Kahoot is a collection of questions on specific topics. Created by teachers, students, business-people and social users, they are asked in real-time, to an unlimited number of “players”, creating a social, fun and game-like learning environment.
Time and Support for Project Development
1. Implement something you’re taking away from today’s session (i.e. a student-created project, a resource, a tool, an instructional strategy, an organizational practice, etc.). It can be learner-centered, teacher-centered or a combination of both. Come ready to share your experience when we meet again in October!
2. Make your first post to the TEC21 Educators on Facebook. As a result, we will connect, share, inspire, grow, and support one another making our Lutheran schools thrive!
3. Again, with the words connect, share, inspire, grow, and support in mind, identify one person on your faculty and be a resource to them between now and October’s session. Be a spark!
If the embedded form isn’t cooperating with your device, you can also complete the form HERE.
Dismiss at 2:00pm
My Contact Info