Begin at 9:00am
- To WiFi: Network: Tec21 Password: Tec212018
- How to get to today’s agenda: Go to https://bit.ly/2MTLtr1 (this is case sensitive). If you can read this on your computer, you’re already there.
- To each other – Grab a breakfast item! Meet your fellow TEC21 participants!
- Shortly we will do an ice breaker activity to begin to get to know one another!
We look forward in Workshop #1 to begin getting to know each other and taking a high-level look at the TEC21 ministry.
1. Discover TEC21’s vision and mission – what we do, how we do it and most importantly why we do it.
2. Boost your professional learning network by connecting to the TEC21 Educators Google+ community.
3. Gain an understanding of the TEC21 road map for the school year culminating in May with “Celebration Day”.
4. Explore and discover Google educational applications for the classroom. We’ll learn best practices from each other by sharing how we use some of these resourceful tools in our classrooms.
1. Water fountain? Restrooms?
2. What does the timeline of a typical workshop day look like?
- Workshop Day Timeline
- 9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Connecting with Teachers
- Connecting with Wi-Fi & each other
- Ice Breaker with group (in September)
- Review–What have you done this past month?
- What new/reoccurring problems/needs are you seeing for yourself this year?
- 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM
- Trending in Tech Ed
- Little or No Prep Tools/Resources
- Digital Citizenship Integration
- 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- LUNCH (group decision)
- 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM
- Look at resources
- Make it, take it, use it
- Go deeper into understanding (peer-to-peer coaching)
- One-on-one with teachers
- Involve and help time (Guide by the Side)
- Get networked, get social, be active with one another here and in other cohorts around the country (Google Hangouts, Skype, etc.)
- Complete the REFLECTION at 1:50 PM
- 9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Connecting with Teachers
- Workshop Day Timeline
3. This series of workshops will provide you the opportunity to grow in a fun, safe and supportive environment. How and what you decide to implement into your classroom is up to you–personalized learning at its best!
- Program-specific– it’s what we as Facilitators deem as core components across the board.
- Center-specific– it’s what the Facilitator deems as practical and relevant to their teachers based on their needs and wants.
- In the TEC21 Workshop Program, how are short- and long-term goals defined?
- SHORT-TERM – Some sort of technology integrating lesson or activity you want to do with your students THIS MONTH.
- LONG-TERM – A major change in the way you teach or manage your classroom. “I want to do less of THAT and more of THIS.” It could include a blog, a web site used for flipping your classroom, going paperless with Google Docs, using digital portfolios for student work, integrating project based learning using a specific tool or tools – there are many possibilities. Think of something you’ve seen or heard about that makes you “spark” and think, “Yeah! I want to do more of THAT!”
4. What is “Celebration Day”?
5. Concordia University-Nebraska has a heart for TEC21’s mission which is to invest in the lives of teachers serving in the Lutheran schools. This is why they have partnered with us in support of our efforts. Together, we have developed a special arrangement where you may receive three graduate credits for your participation in The TEC21 Workshop Program at a cost of $80/credit hour. Some teachers have used these credits toward attaining an endorsement (option #1) or an M.Ed. (options #2, #3, and #4). Additionally, many teachers have simply used their TEC21 experience as a means to help them meet their state’s recertification requirements (option #5). Listed below are the options your graduate credits can be used for should you choose to take advantage of this opportunity:
- Instructional Technology Leadership Endorsement (15 credit hours/5 courses)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction (36 credit hours/12 courses)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction with ESL/ELL Emphasis (36 credit hours/12 courses)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction with Instructional Technology Leadership (36 credit hours/12 courses)
- Non-degree completion option (for recertification purposes)
- Online Application deadline is Friday, October 19, 2018, and requires a $50 Application Fee, the Request for Official Transcripts, the Letter of Intent, and a Resume at the time of application (CUNE waives ALL these items for #5-the non-degree completion option.)
- Credits are valid for a period of seven years should you decide to apply your them toward an endorsement or degree option at a later time.
- Have questions? Email Jodi Groeteke at Jodi.Groeteke@CUNE.edu or call her at 402.327.6530. She is the Director of Graduate Enrollment and is very helpful!
- Your workshop facilitator will use the following rubric to assign a letter at the end of the program: TEC21 Grading Rubric.
6. Upcoming events:
- The next workshop date is scheduled for (day of the week), (date).
- Facilitators, please promote any other local, regional or national events (i.e. local pd opportunities such as EdCamps, district fall conferences, LEA Convocation, etc. – all of which provide great opportunities for TEC21 teachers to connect outside of the workshops).
- #LuthEd Twitter chats take place on Monday evenings from 8:00-9:00CST throughout the school year.
Trending in Tech Ed
The TEC21 Workshop Program
Here are some ways TEC21 facilitators and teachers connect online to further build and strengthen their professional learning network:
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”” twitter=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/tec21lcms” google=”” linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”” twitter=”” google=”https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/100521169566099954919″ linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
Google+: Engage with TEC21 Educators going all the way back to “Season 1” to ask questions and share ideas to support one another (We’ll be taking a much closer look at his one today as this is how we provide support to you outside of our face-to-face sessions!)
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”https://www.facebook.com/TEC21-179114255522134/” twitter=”” google=”” linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
Facebook: Please help us get the word out to as many teachers as possible about the TEC21 Workshop Program by “Liking” us on the TEC21 Facebook Page!
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”” twitter=”” google=”” linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”https://www.pinterest.com/bwdieckhoff/tec21/” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
Pinterest: Follow TEC21’s collaborative board and we’ll invite you to pin along with hundreds of other teaches on the shared board! If you don’t receive an invitation, be sure to let one of the facilitators know so we can add you as a collaborator.
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”” twitter=”” google=”” linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”https://www.instagram.com/tec_21/?hl=en” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
Instagram: Follow TEC_21 so you can enjoy the fun pics taken at our workshop centers from year to year.
TEC21 Educators Google+ Community
1. Introduction to Google+ communities:
- TEC21 Facilitators use Google+ to share ideas, plan, and support one another so we can effectively implement our program. A closed working space for our team, this online platform is a powerful behind-the-scenes tool that enables us to collaborate and network with each other from all over the world!
2. Intro to the basics:
- Create your own profile – be sure to upload a picture so people can put a face with your name. Also, set your notifications so you see when people share resources or ask questions looking to receive help with something 🙂
3. Get onboard the TEC21 Educators Google+ Community:
- Why join? To connect, share, inspire, grow, and support one another. Google+ affords us the ability to extend our learning and support beyond our face-to-face workshop time. Check your email and accept the invitation to join!
- Share a favorite website or app by making a post (Don’t forget to share the link!)
4. Add a button to your menu bar so you have QUICK & EASY access to the TEC21 Educators community and our monthly agendas.
Theory and Standards that Ground TEC21
Google Apps for Education (GAFE)
Co-edit documents. Google Drive (New>Google Docs)
Quick Tutorial For New Google Slides Presentation 2018 Google Drive (New>Google Slides)
- Get there through your Google Drive (New>Google Forms), you start with a generic form, much like the blank slides and docs you get in other Google Apps. If you get there through the Google Forms site, you’ll find six templates at the top of the page covering a variety of projects from an RSVP to data gathering. Select your choice and it will populate the template.
- On the right side are formatting options, from background and images to adding video and additional questions.
- On the upper right are options for changing colors, previewing, and setup.
- Edit form title, questions, descriptions, and answers by clicking in the field.
- When you edit a question, you get nine options for how you want the question answered (see inset) — everything from short answer to multiple choice to other popular options. Some will require input on the questions (such as multiple choice). Complete those.
- Indicate whether this is a required question using the slider button at the bottom right.
- Drag-drop questions as needed to rearrange the form.
- Any form question can be duplicated and then edited.
- If you want to make this an automatically graded quiz, choose Settings>Quiz, and make your set-up choices.
- When you’re done, share the form by embedding it into a blog or website, or by sending out the link.
- Track answers using the Response tab at the top of the form. This will populate as people return the form.
Add-ons for Google Sheets, Docs, Slides, Forms, and Gmail
What is an add-on?
Add-ons run inside Google Sheets, Docs, Slides, Forms, and Gmail.
What is available?
A LOT! Open a Google Doc and click on the Add-ons button and search for all the available Add-ons Here are some that I use:
What is an Extension?
Extensions are small software programs that customize the browsing experience. They enable users to tailor Chrome functionality and behavior to individual needs or preferences.
What is available?
Again there are many available. Here are some I use:
- Extensity – This add-on helps all of the add-ons play nice! Extensity gives an easy option to enable and disable add-ons and extensions.
- Read&Write for Google Chrome – offers Text-to-speech, Text and picture dictionaries, speech-to-text, Word prediction, Collect highlights from text in documents or the web for summarizing and research, Create and listen to voice notes directly inside of Google Docs, Simplify and summarize text on web pages to remove ads and other copy that can be distracting
- Grammarly – Spell checker and grammar checker.
Digital Citizenship Integration
What aspects of Digital Citizenship need to be addressed using Google+ and Google Forms?
- Internet Safety
- Privacy & Security
- Relationships & Communication
- Digital Footprint & Reputation
- Self-image & Identity
- Information Literacy
- Creative Credit & Copyright
[vc_single_image align=”center” img_size=”large” img_link_large=”” img_link_new_tab=””]
Little or No Prep Tools
Seesaw is an amazing digital portfolio that allows students on all devices demonstrate their learning through pictures, videos and drawings. Seesaw works on all devices and even connects with Google Drive. For grades K-12
Glide is the fastest live video messenger app on the planet. It combines the convenience of texting with the expressiveness of video chat. Now you and your friends/family can share real moments as they happen, and enjoy quality facetime.
Provides educators and students access to the highest quality practices and resources in reading and language arts instruction. Topics include venn diagrams, timelines, poetry, etc.
|Timers, charts, name generators, etc…|
A digital library with thousands of FREE children’s books when you register as a teacher. Epic! makes it easy to search book types: picture, chapter, fact, comic, early, and read to me. (PreK – 6th)
All of the best K-5 online, interactive, educational games and simulations in one place!
An online resource hub that has free project ideas, tutorials and how-to’s, as well as downloadable templates for Google apps. This is an amazing resource for any teacher, but especially for Google teachers!
Trello is a collaboration tool that organizes your projects into boards. In one glance, Trello tells you what’s being worked on, who’s working on what, and where something is in a process. Use it for note taking and organizing paper and essay writing as well. use on Web, Android, or IOS.
Want to send a text blast to students and parents about your upcoming classroom event? Parents/students sign up for alerts or can communicate with you without giving out your personal number.
TeachersConnect is a free online community for teachers. Share ideas, ask questions, and collaborate with teachers like you.
A thoughtful, ready-to-go platform that builds global awareness and collaboration skills by facilitating authentic, cross-cultural PBL experiences.
[vc_separator type=”” size=”” icon=”” text=””]
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
1. Implement something you’re taking away from today’s session (i.e. a student-created project, a resource, a tool, an instructional strategy, an organizational practice, etc.). It can be learner-centered, teacher-centered or a combination of both. Come ready to share your experience when we meet again in October!
2. Make your first post to the TEC21 Educators Google+ community. As a result, we will connect, share, inspire, grow, and support one another making our Lutheran schools thrive!
3. Again, with the words connect, share, inspire, grow, and support in mind, identify one person on your faculty and be a resource to them between now and October’s session.
If the embedded form isn’t cooperating with your device, you can also complete the form HERE.
Dismiss at 2:00pm
My Contact Info