September 2018 Agenda—Grafton, Wisconsin
Begin at 9:00am
- To WiFi:
- How to get to today’s agenda: If you can read this, you’re already there.
We look forward in Workshop #1 to begin getting to know each other and taking a high-level look at the TEC21 ministry.
1. Discover TEC21’s vision and mission – what we do, how we do it and most importantly why we do it.
2. Boost your professional learning network by connecting to the TEC21 Educators Google+ community.
3. Gain an understanding of the TEC21 road map for the school year culminating in May with “Celebration Day”.
4. Explore and discover Google educational applications for the classroom. We’ll learn best practices from each other by sharing how we use some of these resourceful tools in our classrooms.
1. Water fountain? Restrooms?
2. What does the timeline of a typical workshop day look like?
- Workshop Day Timeline
- 9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Connecting with Teachers
- Connecting with Wi-Fi & each other
- Ice Breaker with group (in September)
- Review–What have you done this past month?
- What new/reoccurring problems/needs are you seeing for yourself this year?
- 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM
- Trending in Tech Ed
- Little or No Prep Tools/Resources
- Digital Citizenship Integration
- 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- LUNCH (group decision)
- 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM
- Look at resources
- Make it, take it, use it
- Go deeper into understanding (peer-to-peer coaching)
- One-on-one with teachers
- Involve and help time (Guide by the Side)
- Get networked, get social, be active with one another here and in other cohorts around the country (Google Hangouts, Skype, etc.)
- Complete the REFLECTION at 1:50 PM
- 9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Connecting with Teachers
- Workshop Day Timeline
3. This series of workshops will provide you the opportunity to grow in a fun, safe and supportive environment. How and what you decide to implement into your classroom is up to you–personalized learning at its best!
- Program-specific– it’s what we as Facilitators deem as core components across the board.
- Center-specific– it’s what the Facilitator deems as practical and relevant to their teachers based on their needs and wants.
- In the TEC21 Workshop Program, how are short- and long-term goals defined?
- SHORT-TERM – Some sort of technology integrating lesson or activity you want to do with your students THIS MONTH.
- LONG-TERM – A major change in the way you teach or manage your classroom. “I want to do less of THAT and more of THIS.” It could include a blog, a web site used for flipping your classroom, going paperless with Google Docs, using digital portfolios for student work, integrating project based learning using a specific tool or tools – there are many possibilities. Think of something you’ve seen or heard about that makes you “spark” and think, “Yeah! I want to do more of THAT!”
4. What is “Celebration Day”?
5. Concordia University-Nebraska has a heart for TEC21’s mission which is to invest in the lives of teachers serving in the Lutheran schools. This is why they have partnered with us in support of our efforts. Together, we have developed a special arrangement where you may receive three graduate credits for your participation in The TEC21 Workshop Program at a cost of $80/credit hour. Some teachers have used these credits toward attaining an endorsement (option #1) or an M.Ed. (options #2, #3, and #4). Additionally, many teachers have simply used their TEC21 experience as a means to help them meet their state’s recertification requirements (option #5). Listed below are the options your graduate credits can be used for should you choose to take advantage of this opportunity:
- Instructional Technology Leadership Endorsement (15 credit hours/5 courses)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction (36 credit hours/12 courses)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction with ESL/ELL Emphasis (36 credit hours/12 courses)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction with Instructional Technology Leadership (36 credit hours/12 courses)
- Non-degree completion option (for recertification purposes)
- Online Application deadline is Friday, October 19, 2018, and requires a $50 Application Fee, the Request for Official Transcripts, the Letter of Intent, and a Resume at the time of application (CUNE waives ALL these items for #5-the non-degree completion option.)
- Credits are valid for a period of seven years should you decide to apply your them toward an endorsement or degree option at a later time.
- Have questions? Email Jodi Groeteke at Jodi.Groeteke@CUNE.edu or call her at 402.327.6530. She is the Director of Graduate Enrollment and is very helpful!
- Your workshop facilitator will use the following rubric to assign a letter at the end of the program: TEC21 Grading Rubric.
6. Upcoming events:
- The next workshop date is scheduled for (day of the week), (date).
- Facilitators, please promote any other local, regional or national events (i.e. local pd opportunities such as EdCamps, district fall conferences, LEA Convocation, etc. – all of which provide great opportunities for TEC21 teachers to connect outside of the workshops).
- #LuthEd Twitter chats take place on Monday evenings from 8:00-9:00CST throughout the school year.
Trending in Tech Ed
The TEC21 Workshop Program
Here are some ways TEC21 facilitators and teachers connect online to further build and strengthen their professional learning network:
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”” twitter=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/tec21lcms” google=”” linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”” twitter=”” google=”https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/100521169566099954919″ linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
Google+: Engage with TEC21 Educators going all the way back to “Season 1” to ask questions and share ideas to support one another (We’ll be taking a much closer look at his one today as this is how we provide support to you outside of our face-to-face sessions!)
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”https://www.facebook.com/TEC21-179114255522134/” twitter=”” google=”” linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
Facebook: Please help us get the word out to as many teachers as possible about the TEC21 Workshop Program by “Liking” us on the TEC21 Facebook Page!
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”” twitter=”” google=”” linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”https://www.pinterest.com/bwdieckhoff/tec21/” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
Pinterest: Follow TEC21’s collaborative board and we’ll invite you to pin along with hundreds of other teaches on the shared board! If you don’t receive an invitation, be sure to let one of the facilitators know so we can add you as a collaborator.
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”” twitter=”” google=”” linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”https://www.instagram.com/tec_21/?hl=en” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
Instagram: Follow TEC_21 so you can enjoy the fun pics taken at our workshop centers from year to year.
TEC21 Educators Google+ Community
1. Introduction to Google+ communities:
- TEC21 Facilitators use Google+ to share ideas, plan, and support one another so we can effectively implement our program. A closed working space for our team, this online platform is a powerful behind-the-scenes tool that enables us to collaborate and network with each other from all over the world!
2. Intro to the basics:
- Create your own profile – be sure to upload a picture so people can put a face with your name. Also, set your notifications so you see when people share resources or ask questions looking to receive help with something 🙂
3. Get onboard the TEC21 Educators Google+ Community:
- Why join? To connect, share, inspire, grow, and support one another. Google+ affords us the ability to extend our learning and support beyond our face-to-face workshop time. Check your email and accept the invitation to join!
- Share a favorite website or app by making a post (Don’t forget to share the link!)
4. Add a button to your menu bar so you have QUICK & EASY access to the TEC21 Educators community and our monthly agendas.
Theory and Standards that Ground TEC21
Google Apps for Education (GAFE)
An app that enhances the classroom setting by allowing teachers and students to create assignments, post questions and have discussions, as well as share announcements.
A graphic app that allows students and teachers to create fully editable projects using pictures, text boxes, and objects. Think Paint meets Publisher!
An app that allows you to create simple spreadsheet databases.
Make it, take it – Let’s create a Google Form!
- Give it a title.
- Build your form by adding different question types.
- You might search a YouTube video, grab the url and insert video into the the form.
- Spruce up the form by changing the default theme using one of Google’s featured theme’s or select customize to change font and color scheme and to insert an image for the background and/or header.
Add-ons for Google Sheets, Docs, Slides, Forms, and Gmail
Choice Eliminator & Google Forms – An add-on that allows teachers to assist in answer selection.
Flubaroo – A browser add-on that helps grade Google Forms and report results to students! Check out the tutorial for complete information.
Worried about what kind of ad might pop up before showing your class a video? Adblock for Youtube is an extension that runs in the background of your computer to eliminate the ads before the videos.
Tab Scissors will cut your tabs apart to split your screen.
Tab Glue will paste them back together.
Grammarly will check your grammar and spelling on any document, social media post, and messages so you can communicate clearly.
Automatically cite sources within Google Docs with EasyBib for Chrome.
Digital Citizenship Integration
What aspects of Digital Citizenship need to be addressed using Google+ and Google Forms?
- Internet Safety
- Privacy & Security
- Relationships & Communication
- Digital Footprint & Reputation
- Self-image & Identity
- Information Literacy
- Creative Credit & Copyright
Little or No Prep Tools
Apps Gone Free (iOS and Android) is a free app which offers anywhere from 4 – 7 free apps each day. They range from the educational (usually lower grades or young children) to the personal (like organization), from games to picture editing. Normally costing $0.99 – $4.99, this is a great way to find apps that you and your students might use.
Rubistar is an easy to use website where you can either create your own rubrics using templates or select one of many pre-made rubrics to borrow. You can use rubistar without setting up an account to create a quick rubric and print. If you want to save the rubric, go ahead and create an account.
The Smithsonian Tween Tribune has a plethora of free K-12 news source for schools. Lexile leveled articles can be read at a variety of reading levels with the touch of a button so all students can read the same information at a level they can understand. Daily AP news articles, critical thinking questions, Spanish articles, Tech articles.
https://www.classkick.com/ Assign practice problems, help with handwriting, watch your students work and help them individually.
Flippity is a website that gives you a demo/instructions/template for turning a Google spreadsheet into a number of classroom tools such as memory game, flash cards, mad libs, bingo, badge tracker and more! After you have explored the options, open a Google sheet, then get the “add-on” for Flippity. That way you can access the templates any time you open up a Google sheet.
EPIC! Amazing Books for Kids The leading eBook library for kids 12 and under offering unlimited access to over 15,000 high-quality children’s books. Search by age, genre, read-to-me, topics, and more to select just the right book for each student in your class. Sign up for a free educator’s account today!
Seesaw Student Driven Digital Portfolios. Empowers students to independently document their work by taking a picture of their work, telling about it using the microphone, or linking to a multimedia project they made. Parents can view. Helps organize for teachers.
Students earn in-game cash by answering questions. The more questions they answer correctly, the more money they earn. A few “kits” are free. Yearly subscription is $56.00 Schools can get a discount for class.
Simply Edit the existing spinner by entering your student names. Then Save list. It will delete the name once it’s called so all students are called on. Save the link to Share or get a QR code. All names appear each time you begin new.
ILA and NCTE website of all things literacy for students in grades K-12. Lesson plans and student interactives excellent for all writing and reading topics. Many activities can be done online, others download an app. Spend some time here and be amazed!
[vc_separator type=”” size=”” icon=”” text=””]
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
1. Implement something you’re taking away from today’s session (i.e. a student-created project, a resource, a tool, an instructional strategy, an organizational practice, etc.). It can be learner-centered, teacher-centered or a combination of both. Come ready to share your experience when we meet again in October!
2. Make your first post to the TEC21 Educators Google+ community. As a result, we will connect, share, inspire, grow, and support one another making our Lutheran schools thrive!
3. Again, with the words connect, share, inspire, grow, and support in mind, identify one person on your faculty and be a resource to them between now and October’s session.
If the embedded form isn’t cooperating with your device, you can also complete the form HERE.
Dismiss at 2:00pm
My Contact Info
.firstname.lastname@example.org or school 920-452-6882 or home 920-457-2947