September 2018 Agenda—Boone, Iowa
Begin at 9:00am
- To Wifi:
- ILS Guest – Password: TLS
- ILS Secure – Password: crusader
- How to get to today’s agenda:
- Be sure to bookmark the link above in your browser for quick access throughout the year! Let me know if you need some help with this.
For reflection. . .
We look forward in Workshop #1 to begin getting to know each other and taking a high-level look at the TEC21 ministry.
1. Discover TEC21’s vision and mission – what we do, how we do it and most importantly why we do it.
2. Boost your professional learning network by connecting to the TEC21 Educators Google+ community.
3. Gain an understanding of the TEC21 road map for the school year culminating in May with “Celebration Day”.
4. Explore and discover Google educational applications for the classroom. We’ll learn best practices from each other by sharing how we use some of these resourceful tools in our classrooms.
1. Water fountain? Restrooms?
2. What does the timeline of a typical workshop day look like?
- Workshop Day Timeline
- 9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Connecting with Teachers
- Connecting with Wi-Fi & each other
- Ice Breaker with group (in September)
- Review–What have you done this past month?
- What new/reoccurring problems/needs are you seeing for yourself this year?
- 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM
- Trending in Tech Ed
- Little or No Prep Tools/Resources
- Digital Citizenship Integration
- 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- LUNCH (group decision)
- 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM
- Look at resources
- Make it, take it, use it
- Go deeper into understanding (peer-to-peer coaching)
- One-on-one with teachers
- Involve and help time (Guide by the Side)
- Get networked, get social, be active with one another here and in other cohorts around the country (Google Hangouts, Skype, etc.)
- Complete the REFLECTION at 1:50 PM
- 9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Connecting with Teachers
- Workshop Day Timeline
3. This series of workshops will provide you the opportunity to grow in a fun, safe and supportive environment. How and what you decide to implement into your classroom is up to you–personalized learning at its best!
- Program-specific– it’s what we as Facilitators deem as core components across the board.
- Center-specific– it’s what the Facilitator deems as practical and relevant to their teachers based on their needs and wants.
- In the TEC21 Workshop Program, how are short- and long-term goals defined?
- SHORT-TERM – Some sort of technology integrating lesson or activity you want to do with your students THIS MONTH.
- LONG-TERM – A major change in the way you teach or manage your classroom. “I want to do less of THAT and more of THIS.” It could include a blog, a web site used for flipping your classroom, going paperless with Google Docs, using digital portfolios for student work, integrating project based learning using a specific tool or tools – there are many possibilities. Think of something you’ve seen or heard about that makes you “spark” and think, “Yeah! I want to do more of THAT!”
4. What is “Celebration Day”?
5. Concordia University-Nebraska has a heart for TEC21’s mission which is to invest in the lives of teachers serving in the Lutheran schools. This is why they have partnered with us in support of our efforts. Together, we have developed a special arrangement where you may receive three graduate credits for your participation in The TEC21 Workshop Program at a cost of $80/credit hour. Some teachers have used these credits toward attaining an endorsement (option #1) or an M.Ed. (options #2, #3, and #4). Additionally, many teachers have simply used their TEC21 experience as a means to help them meet their state’s recertification requirements (option #5). Listed below are the options your graduate credits can be used for should you choose to take advantage of this opportunity:
- Instructional Technology Leadership Endorsement (15 credit hours/5 courses)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction (36 credit hours/12 courses)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction with ESL/ELL Emphasis (36 credit hours/12 courses)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction with Instructional Technology Leadership (36 credit hours/12 courses)
- Non-degree completion option (for recertification purposes)
- Online Application deadline is Friday, October 19, 2018, and requires a $50 Application Fee, the Request for Official Transcripts, the Letter of Intent, and a Resume at the time of application (CUNE waives ALL these items for #5-the non-degree completion option.)
- Credits are valid for a period of seven years should you decide to apply your them toward an endorsement or degree option at a later time.
- Have questions? Email Jodi Groeteke at Jodi.Groeteke@CUNE.edu or call her at 402.327.6530. She is the Director of Graduate Enrollment and is very helpful!
- Your workshop facilitator will use the following rubric to assign a letter at the end of the program: TEC21 Grading Rubric.
6. Upcoming events:
- The next workshop date is scheduled for Thursday, October 11.
- Missouri Lutheran Church Workers Conference, November 18-20.
- #LuthEd Twitter chats take place on Monday evenings from 8:00-9:00CST throughout the school year
Trending in Tech Ed
The TEC21 Workshop Program
Here are some ways TEC21 facilitators and teachers connect online to further build and strengthen their professional learning network:
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”” twitter=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/tec21lcms” google=”” linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”” twitter=”” google=”https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/100521169566099954919″ linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
Google+: Engage with TEC21 Educators going all the way back to “Season 1” to ask questions and share ideas to support one another (We’ll be taking a much closer look at his one today as this is how we provide support to you outside of our face-to-face sessions!)
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”https://www.facebook.com/TEC21-179114255522134/” twitter=”” google=”” linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
Facebook: Please help us get the word out to as many teachers as possible about the TEC21 Workshop Program by “Liking” us on the TEC21 Facebook Page!
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”” twitter=”” google=”” linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”https://www.pinterest.com/bwdieckhoff/tec21/” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
Pinterest: Follow TEC21’s collaborative board and we’ll invite you to pin along with hundreds of other teaches on the shared board! If you don’t receive an invitation, be sure to let one of the facilitators know so we can add you as a collaborator.
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”” twitter=”” google=”” linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”https://www.instagram.com/tec_21/?hl=en” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
Instagram: Follow TEC_21 so you can enjoy the fun pics taken at our workshop centers from year to year.
TEC21 Educators Google+ Community
1. Introduction to Google+ communities:
- TEC21 Facilitators use Google+ to share ideas, plan, and support one another so we can effectively implement our program. A closed working space for our team, this online platform is a powerful behind-the-scenes tool that enables us to collaborate and network with each other from all over the world!
2. Intro to the basics:
- Create your own profile – be sure to upload a picture so people can put a face with your name. Also, set your notifications so you see when people share resources or ask questions looking to receive help with something 🙂
3. Get onboard the TEC21 Educators Google+ Community:
- Why join? To connect, share, inspire, grow, and support one another. Google+ affords us the ability to extend our learning and support beyond our face-to-face workshop time. Check your email and accept the invitation to join!
- Share a favorite website or app by making a post (Don’t forget to share the link!)
4. Add a button to your menu bar so you have QUICK & EASY access to the TEC21 Educators community and our monthly agendas.
Theory and Standards that Ground TEC21
Google Apps for Education (GAFE)
An app that enhances the classroom setting by allowing teachers and students to create assignments, post questions and have discussions, as well as share announcements.
A word-processing program that allows students to create written, typed documents.
A graphic app that allows students and teachers to create fully editable projects using pictures, text boxes, and objects. Think Paint meets Publisher!
An app that allows you to create simple spreadsheet databases.
Make it, take it – Let’s create a Google Form!
- Give it a title.
- Build your form by adding different question types.
- You might search a YouTube video, grab the url and insert video into the the form.
- Spruce up the form by changing the default theme using one of Google’s featured theme’s or select customize to change font and color scheme and to insert an image for the background and/or header.
Add-ons for Google Sheets, Docs, Slides, Forms, and Gmail
Digital Citizenship Integration
What aspects of Digital Citizenship need to be addressed using Google+ and Google Forms?
- Internet Safety
- Privacy & Security
- Relationships & Communication
- Digital Footprint & Reputation
- Self-image & Identity
- Information Literacy
- Creative Credit & Copyright
Little or No Prep Tools
Our neighbors across the pond in the UK definitely have a winner with this app! DoodleMaths is an age-appropriate, interactive app for math fact supplementation. With a variety of activities that help promote math and even fine motor skills for the young ones, this app is sure to be fun for the kiddos, not to mention educational! Be sure to download the right app for your students’ age(s). (Grades PK+)
Quizizz is an interactive quiz site that increases student engagement and nurtures some friendly classroom competition when it comes to learning content. Set up as a timed quiz game, students are given questions and must choose the correct answer to earn points. The quizzes can be created by you or pieced together from other users. They can also be assigned and integrated into Google Classroom. (Grade 3+)
Geared toward elementary school, 5th grade and below, ABCya! offers learning games that are categorized by content and grade level. The app has limited games available compared to the full web version. Both options offer solid supplementary learning games. (Grades PK-5)
This website offers students games and fun interactive to help with spelling lists. Teachers can upload their own lists or choose from nationally standardized lists based on language arts curriculum series or common lists. Full website offers more options, however a mobile option is also available and equally as helpful! (All grades)
iOS, Google Play, online
This website provides a database of online interactives geared toward supplemental learning. With a variety of content topics and age-appropriate activities, Interactive Sites for Education serves as a useful resource for elementary and middle level teachers.
New to Classroom and wanting to know its reach in the online world? Check out this list of 50 apps that integrate seamlessly with Google’s Classroom.
Online interactives for students, offering concept maps, trading cards, timelines, and so much more. With easy directions and simple interfaces, ReadWriteThink is useful across grade levels and content areas! Available online or get the apps! (Kindergarten and up)
Google goes above and beyond in their attempt to help teachers out! On this site, teachers can find tutorials, training, lesson ideas, and support for all the G Suite apps for FREE. Thanks, Google!
An online resource hub that has free project ideas, tutorials and how-to’s, as well as downloadable templates for Google apps. This is an amazing resource for any teacher, but especially for Google teachers!
OER Commons is a website devoted to the frugal teacher. With tons of open education resources (free) available by content area, topic, age level, or standard, this online tool grants access to lesson plans, activity ideas, and resources at no cost to you! (All grades)
Sorted by grade level and subject, these short questions are sure to focus your students as they come in each morning or when they arrive in class. With an option to print or clean the page up with Class View, have students complete all or just some of these brain warm-ups! (PreK – 8th)
This website is devoted to providing a safe place to watch YouTube or Vimeo videos. Create a free account, then simply paste the link of the video, click generate, select options, and submit. A shareable link is provided. Free accounts are limited to 10 generated videos, but feel free to delete a video that’s been used to open up more space!
A database of thousands of free language arts resources. Everything is categorized by discipline as well as grade level. Searching for a printable supplement for your classroom? Looking for articles to develop your skills and knowledge? Need a reading award certificate? Check this site out! (All grades)
A digital library with thousands of FREE children’s books when you register as a teacher. Epic! makes it easy to search book types: picture, chapter, fact, comic, early, and read to me. (PreK – 6th)
[vc_separator type=”” size=”” icon=”” text=””]
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
1. Implement something you’re taking away from today’s session (i.e. a student-created project, a resource, a tool, an instructional strategy, an organizational practice, etc.). It can be learner-centered, teacher-centered or a combination of both. Come ready to share your experience when we meet again in October!
2. Make your first post to the TEC21 Educators Google+ community. As a result, we will connect, share, inspire, grow, and support one another making our Lutheran schools thrive!
3. Again, with the words connect, share, inspire, grow, and support in mind, identify one person on your faculty and be a resource to them between now and October’s session.
If the embedded form isn’t cooperating with your device, you can also complete the form HERE.
Dismiss at 2:00pm
[vc_empty_space height=”32px”][vc_empty_space height=”32px”]