September 2018 Agenda—Arlington Heights, Illinois
Begin at 9:00am
- To WiFi: Network: StPeterGuest, Password: HisHandsHisFeet!
- How to get to today’s agenda: If you can read this, you’re already there.
- To each other – Grab a breakfast item! Meet your fellow TEC21 participants!
- Shortly we will begin our 2 truths & a lie activity
- Click here to access Google slideshow. Find your name and complete: Two Truths & a Lie
How often in our jobs and lives, is it all about what we do when, in fact, it needs to be about who we are in Christ. The world tells us the lies of needing to be more, achieve more, and wear more hats, where God tells us the truth that we are His child, wise, and restored (1 Corinthians 1:30 and 2 Corinthians 5:17)
We look forward in Workshop #1 to begin getting to know each other and taking a high-level look at the TEC21 ministry.
1. Discover TEC21’s vision and mission – what we do, how we do it and most importantly WHY we do it.
2. Boost your professional learning network by connecting to the TEC21 Educators Google+ community.
3. Gain an understanding of the TEC21 road map for the school year culminating in May with “Celebration Day”.
4. Explore and discover Google educational applications for the classroom. We’ll learn best practices from each other by sharing how we use some of these resourceful tools in our classrooms.
1. Water fountain? Restrooms?
2. What does the timeline of a typical workshop day look like?
- Workshop Day Timeline
- 9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Connecting with Teachers
- Connecting with Wi-Fi & each other
- Ice Breaker with group (in September)
- Review–What have you done this past month?
- What new/reoccurring problems/needs are you seeing for yourself this year?
- 9:30 AM – 11:30 AM
- Trending in Tech Ed
- Little or No Prep Tools/Resources
- Digital Citizenship Integration
- 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- LUNCH (group decision)
- 12:30 PM – 2:00 PM
- Look at resources
- Make it, take it, use it
- Go deeper into understanding (peer-to-peer coaching)
- One-on-one with teachers
- Involve and help time (Guide by the Side)
- Get networked, get social, be active with one another here and in other cohorts around the country (Google Hangouts, Skype, etc.)
- Complete the REFLECTION at 1:50 PM
- 9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Connecting with Teachers
- Workshop Day Timeline
3. This series of workshops will provide you the opportunity to grow in a fun, safe and supportive environment. How and what you decide to implement into your classroom is up to you–personalized learning at its best!
- Program-specific– it’s what we as Facilitators deem as core components across the board.
- Center-specific– it’s what the Facilitator deems as practical and relevant to their teachers based on their needs and wants.
- In the TEC21 Workshop Program, how are short- and long-term goals defined?
- SHORT-TERM – Some sort of technology integrating lesson or activity you want to do with your students THIS MONTH.
- LONG-TERM – A major change in the way you teach or manage your classroom. “I want to do less of THAT and more of THIS.” It could include a blog, a web site used for flipping your classroom, going paperless with Google Docs, using digital portfolios for student work, integrating project based learning using a specific tool or tools – there are many possibilities. Think of something you’ve seen or heard about that makes you “spark” and think, “Yeah! I want to do more of THAT!”
4. What is “Celebration Day”?
5. Concordia University-Nebraska has a heart for TEC21’s mission which is to invest in the lives of teachers serving in the Lutheran schools. This is why they have partnered with us in support of our efforts. Together, we have developed a special arrangement where you may receive three graduate credits for your participation in The TEC21 Workshop Program at a cost of $80/credit hour. Some teachers have used these credits toward attaining an endorsement (option #1) or an M.Ed. (options #2, #3, and #4). Additionally, many teachers have simply used their TEC21 experience as a means to help them meet their state’s recertification requirements (option #5). Listed below are the options your graduate credits can be used for should you choose to take advantage of this opportunity:
- Instructional Technology Leadership Endorsement (15 credit hours/5 courses)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction (36 credit hours/12 courses)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction with ESL/ELL Emphasis (36 credit hours/12 courses)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction with Instructional Technology Leadership (36 credit hours/12 courses)
- Non-degree completion option (for recertification purposes)
- Online Application deadline is Friday, October 19, 2018, and requires a $50 Application Fee, the Request for Official Transcripts, the Letter of Intent, and a Resume at the time of application (CUNE waives ALL these items for #5-the non-degree completion option.)
- Credits are valid for a period of seven years should you decide to apply your them toward an endorsement or degree option at a later time.
- Have questions? Email Jodi Groeteke at Jodi.Groeteke@CUNE.edu or call her at 402.327.6530. She is the Director of Graduate Enrollment and is very helpful!
- Your workshop facilitator will use the following rubric to assign a letter at the end of the program: TEC21 Grading Rubric.
6. Upcoming events:
- The next workshop date is scheduled for October 11th.
- Who attended ISTE this summer? Has anyone attended ICE? Anyone have upcoming workshop info to share out?
- #LuthEd Twitter chats take place on Monday evenings from 8:00-9:00CST throughout the school year.
Trending in Tech Ed
The TEC21 Workshop Program
Here are some ways TEC21 facilitators and teachers connect online to further build and strengthen their professional learning network:
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”” twitter=”https://twitter.com/hashtag/tec21lcms” google=”” linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”” twitter=”” google=”https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/100521169566099954919″ linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
Google+: Engage with TEC21 Educators going all the way back to “Season 1” to ask questions and share ideas to support one another (We’ll be taking a much closer look at his one today as this is how we provide support to you outside of our face-to-face sessions!)
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”https://www.facebook.com/TEC21-179114255522134/” twitter=”” google=”” linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
Facebook: Please help us get the word out to as many teachers as possible about the TEC21 Workshop Program by “Liking” us on the TEC21 Facebook Page!
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”” twitter=”” google=”” linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”https://www.pinterest.com/bwdieckhoff/tec21/” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
Pinterest: Follow TEC21’s collaborative board and we’ll invite you to pin along with hundreds of other teaches on the shared board! If you don’t receive an invitation, be sure to let one of the facilitators know so we can add you as a collaborator.
[vc_social_links size=”normal” email=”” facebook=”” twitter=”” google=”” linkedin=”” youtube=”” flickr=”” instagram=”https://www.instagram.com/tec_21/?hl=en” deviantart=”” foursquare=”” github=”” behance=”” xing=”” pinterest=”” skype=”” tumblr=”” dribbble=”” vk=”” rss=””]
Instagram: Follow TEC_21 so you can enjoy the fun pics taken at our workshop centers from year to year.
TEC21 Educators Google+ Community
1. Introduction to Google+ communities:
- TEC21 Facilitators use Google+ to share ideas, plan, and support one another so we can effectively implement our program. A closed working space for our team, this online platform is a powerful behind-the-scenes tool that enables us to collaborate and network with each other from all over the world!
2. Intro to the basics:
- Create your own profile – be sure to upload a picture so people can put a face with your name. Also, set your notifications so you see when people share resources or ask questions looking to receive help with something 🙂
3. Get onboard the TEC21 Educators Google+ Community:
- Why join? To connect, share, inspire, grow, and support one another. Google+ affords us the ability to extend our learning and support beyond our face-to-face workshop time. Check your email and accept the invitation to join!
- Share a favorite website or app by making a post (Don’t forget to share the link!)
4. Add a button to your menu bar so you have QUICK & EASY access to the TEC21 Educators community and our monthly agendas.
Theory and Standards that Ground TEC21
Google Apps for Education (GAFE)
G Suite is a brand of cloud computing, productivity and collaboration tools (software and products developed by Google). Some of these tools include: GMail, Calendar, Hangouts, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, and Sites.
Add-ons for Google Sheets, Docs, Slides, Forms, and Gmail
Add–ons run inside Google Sheets, Docs, Slides, Forms, and Gmail and add further functionality to the product. New add-ons are released monthly, so check often! (There’s an add-on for that!)
Extensions are small “software programs” that customize the browsing experience (i. e. within the Google Chrome browser). They enable users to tailor Chrome functionality and behavior to individual needs or preferences. Extensions can be found in the Chrome Web Store (by clicking on the “Apps” icon)
Digital Citizenship Integration
What aspects of Digital Citizenship need to be addressed using Google+ and Google Forms?
- Internet Safety
- Privacy & Security
- Relationships & Communication
- Digital Footprint & Reputation
- Self-image & Identity
- Information Literacy
- Creative Credit & Copyright
Little or No Prep Tools
Can a neural network learn to recognize doodling? Help teach it by adding your drawings to the world’s largest doodling data set, shared publicly to help with machine learning research. This is an A. I. experiment made by Google
We’ve all used Google Maps for getting around, but have you ever created one? Great back-to-school activity: pinning all of the places your students traveled!
Google Keep is a killer notes and reminder app that works across both desktops and smartphones.
Google is more than just a search engine. Yes, you already know Google owns Youtube, and all about Google Glass…but how many of Google’s interesting and underutilized features do you know about? Google has a bunch of extras ranging from useful learning tools to simple fun.
Anyone Google certified? Kasey Bell is one of THE best and most enthusiastic Google trainers out there! Subscribe to her emails to keep up-to-date on all things Google.
Glide is the fastest live video messenger app on the planet. It combines the convenience of texting with the expressiveness of video chat. Now you and your friends/family can share real moments as they happen, and enjoy quality facetime.
Tab Scissors is a Google Chrome extension that splits a window into two at the selected tab. If you have at least two tabs in the selected Chrome window, it will split that window into two smaller side-by-side windows. All the tabs on the left side of the selected tab will stay in the left window, and the rest will move to the window on the right. Great for those of you who have multiple tabs open at once. Works great with Tab Glue
Tab Glue is a Google Chrome extension that glues windows together. This simple organizer tool puts all of your Chrome tabs together into one window with a single click. The new window has your tabs arranged in the same order your windows were, and makes the selected tab in your current window be the new selected tab, so you won’t lose track of where your tabs were or what you were doing. Works great with Tab Scissors!
[vc_separator type=”” size=”” icon=”” text=””]
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
1. Implement something you’re taking away from today’s session (i.e. a student-created project, a resource, a tool, an instructional strategy, an organizational practice, etc.). It can be learner-centered, teacher-centered or a combination of both. Come ready to share your experience when we meet again in October!
2. Make your first post to the TEC21 Educators Google+ community. As a result, we will connect, share, inspire, grow, and support one another making our Lutheran schools thrive!
3. Again, with the words connect, share, inspire, grow, and support in mind, identify one person on your faculty and be a resource to them between now and October’s session.
If the embedded form isn’t cooperating with your device, you can also complete the form HERE.
Dismiss at 2:00pm
My Contact Info
Denise Murphy 630-973-6784