November 2019 Agenda—Shawnee, Kansas
Begin at 9:00am
I am thankful for dirty dishes in my sink, because this means I have food to eat, something on which to eat it, and running water/dishwasher to clean them.
This is a weird thing for which to be thankful. But, it does help put things into perspective, make us appreciate things, and put a positive spin on an unpleasant situation.
What are some weird things that you are thankful for?
The next workshop date is scheduled for Thursday, January 16, 2020. Same time, same place!
Let’s take some time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. Share a success, a challenge you experienced or a lesson learned.
1. Explore a variety of digital tools and learning activities to use in order to assess student progress and understanding.
2. Create a digital assessment activity which could be incorporated into an upcoming lesson or unit.
3. Discover the educational value of engaging students in coding activities in today’s classroom.
4. Identify web- and/or mobile-based coding applications to engage your students with during the upcoming international Hour of Code (December 9-15, 2019).
Socrative – Ask a variety of questions throughout your lessons: multiple choice, true-false, and short answer. Write questions out in advance or ask orally on the go. All responses record and can be displayed on the screen during the lesson to get every student response. Then download all data in a spreadsheet to see which students need additional instruction and practice. Website, teacher app, student app. My favorite! Let’s try one!
Please go to www.socrative.com Enter as a student. Code is LEONARDI2746
Quizizz – Ask multiple choice and true-false questions, including pictures. Student answer buttons have the responses printed on them rather than having to look up at the screen. Search public quizzes already made too.
Kahoot – A collection of questions on specific topics. Created by teachers, students, business-people and social users, they are asked in real-time, to an unlimited number of “players”, creating a social, fun and game-like learning environment.
Seesaw – A student-driven digital portfolio that empowers students to independently document what they are learning at school. FEATURES: Easily Capture Student Learning in Any Form ∙ Students can use photos, videos, drawings, text notes, links to show what they know.
How to Run an Hour of Code
The Hour of Code takes place each year during Computer Science Education Week. The 2019 Computer Science Education Week will be December 9-15, but you can host an Hour of Code all year round. Computer Science Education Week is held annually in recognition of the birthday of computing pioneer Admiral Grace Murray Hopper (December 9, 1906).
To get started participating in an hour of code start here and select your grade level, topic, self-led tutorial, one hour, blocks. Or try an “unplugged” activity with no devices.
Sample Coding Lessons:
Coding Devices and Robots
Ozobot-a tiny robot that is controlled through colored commands and coding using an app. Price is around $60.
Dash and Dot-robots with personality that you can control with coding using the app. They can come with accessories such as a ball launcher and a xylophone. Prices range from $50-$250 for the big kit.
Sphero-a ball that you can control through coding using a free app. Range in price from $50-$150.
Osmo Coding-Interactive coding which allows students to play blocks in front of the Ipad that has the Osmo mirror and control the monster on the Ipad. Love this hands-on device. Osmo costs $100 to get started, but has many other accessories that can be added. All the apps are free.
LEGO Education WeDo 2.0 Core Set (younger students) and Lego Mindstorm is a hands-on STEM solution that combines the LEGO brick, classroom-friendly software, engaging standards-based projects and a discovery based approach. Designed with collaboration in mind, each Core Set supports two students, introducing them to computational thinking and engineering principles in a fun and engaging way.
What aspects of digital citizenship need to be addressed when conducting formative assessments with your students?
- Internet Safety
- Privacy & Security
- Relationships & Communication
- Digital Footprint & Reputation
- Self-image & Identity
- Information Literacy
- Creative Credit & Copyright
Genius Hour Unit 3: The Pitch
You want to “sell” your idea in a creative and interesting way. Think about this as a commercial for your idea that unveils your genius plan! You will have 1-2 minutes.
Include the following:
- Your name
- Reasons you chose the project (story, history, definition, interest, etc.)
- Materials/resources/technology tools needed
- First three steps to get started
- Obstacles you may face in the process
- Explain how the project enhances learning.
Your presentation may be formatted in one of the following ways:
- A Prezi, Google Slide presentation, Adobe Spark Video, iMovie or i Movie trailer, or another digital format that is at least 60 seconds, but no longer than 2 minutes
- Minimum of 6 slides but maximum of 10 slides. Use the bullets for items to include as a guide.
- “What is Genius Hour?” (Genius Hour)
- How to Build Community Leaders of Today – And Tomorrow – Through Genius Hour (EdSurge, 2017)
- Genius Hour in Elementary School (Edutopia, 2017)
- Tips and Tricks to Keep Kids on Track During Genius Hour (MindShift, 2017)
- Inspire Drive, Creativity in the Classroom with 20-Time (20-Time in Education)
- 20-Time Projects in Education: 41 Projects in 4 Minutes (YouTube, 2014)
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
Digital Tools & Resources
A powerfully simple tool that lets teachers collect real-time formative assessment data without the need for student devices.
Who doesn’t love Jeopardy-style games for review?! Jeopardy Labs has thousands of pre-made games ready for you to use! Set up your class in teams or individually! My students love reviewing for math tests with this format!
Coggle is a collaborative mind-mapping tool. Free account allows you to make unlimited mind maps. Can be used for presenting information, notetaking, planning a story, outlining, etc. I use it to review math concepts. How about using it to review your vocabulary words from your story for the week?
Build wonderful classroom communities with parents and students. An easy way to track student behavior. Great for lower grades! I used it when I taught 3rd grade and it was my saving grace with a difficult class!
Free Rice Freerice is a 100% non-profit website that is owned by and supports the United Nations World Food Programme. Freerice has two goals: 1.Provide education to everyone for free. 2. Help end world hunger by providing rice to hungry people for free.
Thanksgiving Ideas for All Ages
Word Cloud Ideas
Some digital assessment tools have pre-made quizzes, questions, and slideshows you can use immediately. Others assume you will enter your own questions. A number of them we have discussed.
Inspire! We are each other’s BEST resources 🙂
1. Develop and incorporate a digital assessment activity to use with your students in a lesson or unit you’ll be teaching before we meet again in January.
2. During the week of December 9–15, have your students join millions of students around the world by participating in an “Hour of Code” (An awesome activity to engage your students in during the craziness of December.)
3. Post to TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. It can be a comment, an answer to someone’s question, a resource, a picture of you teaching and/or your students learning, or a sample of a digital assessment you used with your students.
4. Be a resource–an inspiration–to one of your colleagues.
5. Registration for the TEC21 Workshop Program for the 2020/2021 school year opens on January 2, 2020. Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Share with them the value of connecting with other Lutheran school teachers and the impact it’s had on you and your students. Thank you in advance for supporting our mission and vision and being an ambassador for TEC21 whenever you can! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
Dismiss at 2:00pm