Begin at 9:00am
VOCATION vs. IDENTITY
1 Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
Announcements & Review
1. Upcoming events:
- The next workshop date is scheduled for Thursday, January 17th.
- What did you think of INPEC?
- #LuthEd Twitter chats take place on Monday evenings from 8:00-9:00CST throughout the school year.
2. Let’s take some time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. What were some successes? Tell us about any challenges you faced?
4. Hour of Code – First week of December
1. Discover the educational value of engaging students in coding activities in today’s classroom.
2. Explore a variety of digital assessment tools and learning activities that could be used to assess student progress and achievement.
3. Identify web- and/or mobile-based coding applications to engage your students with during the upcoming international Hour of Code (December 3-7).
4. Create a digital assessment activity which could be incorporated into an upcoming lesson or unit.
“Education is not the filling of a bucket, but the lighting of a fire.” ~ W. B. Yeats
How to Run an Hour of Code
The Hour of Code takes place each year during Computer Science Education Week. The 2018 Computer Science Education Week will be December 3-9, but you can host an Hour of Code all year round. Computer Science Education Week is held annually in recognition of the birthday of computing pioneer Admiral Grace Murray Hopper (December 9, 1906).
Let’s Play: Sphero Meets Coding!
Practice Socrative on Apps and Websites- enter classroom TEC21COLUMBUS.
Ask a variety of questions throughout your lessons: multiple choice, true-false, and short answer. Write questions out in advance or ask orally on the go. All responses record and can be displayed on the screen during the lesson to get every student response. Then download all data in a spreadsheet to see which students need additional instruction and practice. Website, teacher app, student app. Find some quizzes in this Quiz Bank.
Gimkit is a game show for the classroom that requires knowledge, collaboration, and strategy to win. You get three kits for free and have to pay for additional kits. You can import directly from Quizlet.
An online portfolio students can add their work to on their own and provide audio detailing what they did and how they did. Take a picture of any work to archive so originals can go home. Parents can view their child’s work. Teachers can create blog posts and work to share.
- Create a website or blog with Weebly implementing learned standards in a real-world setting. E.G. Blogging about social issues or reviewing literature.
- Create and maintain a how-to Youtube channel demonstrate class lessons.
- Connect with policymakers via email and social media when working on persuasive essays.
Digital Citizenship Integration
What aspects of digital citizenship need to be addressed when conducting formative assessments with your students?
- Internet Safety
- Privacy & Security
- Relationships & Communication
- Digital Footprint & Reputation
- Self-image & Identity
- Information Literacy
- Creative Credit & Copyright
[vc_separator type=”” size=”” icon=”” text=””]
Little or No Prep Tools & Resources
Pear Deck Slides gives teachers the ability to engage and assess every student in every row, no matter what grade or subject. Using Pear Deck will help you create an interactive and community-focused classroom that builds confidence and comprehension.
Quizlet is an easy-to-use and efficient tool for learning. It has become the largest flashcards and study games website, with more than 5 million free sets of flashcards covering every possible subject, three learning modes, testing, and some games to reinforce learning.
CodeCombat allows students to experience python coding through game-based learning.
Music coding. 4-8 Grade. You can code in java or python.
Tynker- Everything your child needs to become a Minecraft modder, digital storyteller, or game designer. A great site for students 4th-8th grade learning how to program.
Scratch is a free programming language and online community where you can create your own interactive stories, games, and animations.
Scratch is a free programming language and online community where you can create your own interactive stories, games, and animations. PK-1
MIT App Inventor is an intuitive, visual programming environment that allows everyone – even children – to build fully functional apps for smartphones and tablets. Those new to MIT App Inventor can have a simple first app up and running in less than 30 minutes.
This is a portion of code.org that allows users to begin learning about app development.
Codesters combines a fun online coding platform for students, a powerful learning management system for teachers, and built-out coding lessons so you can start teaching kids to code in your school today.
Free Technology for Teachers: 10 Good Tools for Creating Digital Portfolios – A PDF Handout
[vc_separator type=”” size=”” icon=”” text=””]
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
Inspire! We are each other’s BEST resources 🙂
1. Develop and incorporate a digital assessment activity to use with your students in a lesson or unit you’ll be teaching before we meet again in January.
2. During the week of December 3–7, have your students join millions of students around the world in participating in an “Hour of Code” (An awesome activity to engage your students in during the craziness of December.)
3. Post to TEC21’s online Google+ community. It can be a comment, an answer to someone’s question, a resource, a picture of you teaching and/or your students learning, or a sample of a digital assessment you used with your students.
4. Be a resource–an inspiration–to one of your colleagues.
5. Registration for the TEC21 Workshop Program for the 2019/2020 school year opens on January 2, 2019. Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Share with them the value of connecting with other Lutheran school teachers and the impact it’s had on you and your students. Thank you in advance for supporting our mission and vision and being an ambassador for TEC21! #TEC21lcms #LuthEd #LutheranSchoolsThrive
Dismiss at 2:00pm