Begin at 9:00am
Icebreaker: Four Word Story
This idea trended on Twitter recently. This is a way to share something happy that happened to you since we last met. Create your four-word story here.
VOCATION vs. IDENTITY
1 Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.
Announcements & Review
1. Upcoming events:
- The next workshop date is scheduled for Thursday, January 18th.
- #LuthEd Twitter chats take place on Monday evenings from 8:00-9:00CST throughout the school year.
2. For anyone interested in receiving college credit? The application period is OPEN! Remember that TEC21 is considered a second semester class–EDUC 513. To receive college credit, apply online between today – January 31, 2018.
Degree completion options:
- Option 1 – M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction
- Option 2 – M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction with Instructional Technology Leadership
- Option 3 – Instructional Technology Leadership Endorsement (You can check with your respective state’s Board of Education to see whether they will acknowledge this endorsement.)
Non-degree completion option:
- $80/credit hour
- 3 graduate level credits
- Application fee waived for non-degree option
3. Let’s take this time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. What happened? Were you successful? Did you come across any challenges?
1. Explore the value of coding and assessment tools.
2. Discover coding and assessment tools and resources to use with your students.
3. Implement coding and assessment tools, resources and/or teaching strategies in your classroom.
How to Run an Hour of Code
The Hour of Code takes place each year during Computer Science Education Week. The 2017 Computer Science Education Week will be December 4-10, but you can host an Hour of Code all year round. Computer Science Education Week is held annually in recognition of the birthday of computing pioneer Admiral Grace Murray Hopper (December 9, 1906).
Let’s Play: Sphero Meets Coding!
Practice Socrative on Apps and Websites- enter classroom TEC21INDY.
Ask a variety of questions throughout your lessons: multiple choice, true-false, and short answer. Write questions out in advance or ask orally on the go. All responses record and can be displayed on the screen during the lesson to get every student response. Then download all data in a spreadsheet to see which students need additional instruction and practice. Website, teacher app, student app. Find some quizzes in this Quiz Bank.
Join our class by clicking the link above.
Make any video your lesson. Find a video and crop it to use only what you need, insert audio notes or record over a video with your voice, and add questions at any point in the video and track your students’ understanding.
An online portfolio students can add their work to on their own and provide audio detailing what they did and how they did. Take a picture of any work to archive so originals can go home. Parents can view their child’s work. Teachers can create blog posts and work to share.
Digital Citizenship Integration
What aspects of digital citizenship need to be addressed when conducting formative assessments with your students?
- Internet Safety
- Privacy & Security
- Relationships & Communication
- Digital Footprint & Reputation
- Self-image & Identity
- Information Literacy
- Creative Credit & Copyright
Little or No Prep Tools & Resources
Quizlet is an easy-to-use and efficient tool for learning. It has become the largest flashcards and study games website, with more than 5 million free sets of flashcards covering every possible subject, three learning modes, testing, and some games to reinforce learning.
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
Inspire! We are each other’s BEST resources 🙂
1. Design a formative or summative assessment strategy or activity to use with your students and have it include a technology component to it (web- or tablet-based app).
2. During the week of December 4–10, plan to have your students join millions of students around the world in participating in an “Hour of Code” (A great activity to engage your students in during the craziness of December.)
3. Post a comment, link, or student work to the TEC21’s online Google+ community.
4. Be a resource to at least one new person on your faculty before we meet again.
5. TEC21 Registration for the 2017/2018 school year opens on January 2, 2018. Encourage a fellow teacher to be a TEC21 participant next year! Share with them the value of being connected with other Lutheran school educators and the impact it’s had on you, your classroom and your students. Thank you for being an ambassador for TEC21!
Dismiss at 2:00pm
My Contact Info
Google Plus: Luke.Finchum@cuw.edu