Begin at 9:00am
The Nicene Creed read by Trinity Lutheran School Alumni, Klein, Texas, Music by student Sarah Miller, 2012 Celebrating the school’s 100th anniversary
Alumni and Gospel award winning songwriter and performer Lyle Lovett is the middle voice of the 3 generations reading.
Announcements & Review
1. Upcoming events:
- The next workshop date is scheduled for January 18th.
- #LuthEd Twitter chats take place on Monday evenings from 8:00-9:00CST throughout the school year.
2. For anyone interested in receiving college credit? The application period is OPEN! Remember that TEC21 is considered a second semester class–EDUC 513. To receive college credit, apply online between today – January 31, 2018.
Degree completion options:
- Option 1 – M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction
- Option 2 – M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction with Instructional Technology Leadership
- Option 3 – Instructional Technology Leadership Endorsement (You can check with your respective state’s Board of Education to see whether they will acknowledge this endorsement.)
Non-degree completion option:
- $80/credit hour
- 3 graduate level credits
- Application fee waived for non-degree option
3. Let’s take this time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. What happened? Were you successful? Did you come across any challenges?
1. Explore the value of coding and assessment tools.
2. Discover coding and assessment tools and resources to use with your students.
3. Implement coding and assessment tools, resources and/or teaching strategies in your classroom.
How to Run an Hour of Code
Resources to Help You Run an Hour of Code Event http://www.edutopia.org/blog/calling-learners-teachers-hour-of-code-ashley-cronin
- Watch How to Run an Hour of Code (Video, 3:05)
- Download or Print the Participation Guide (PDF)
- Review Best Practices From Successful Educators (Slideshow)
- Explore the Hour of Code Tutorials
- Follow #HourofCode on Twitter
- Computer Education Week (December of each year)
The Hour of Code takes place each year during Computer Science Education Week. The 2017 Computer Science Education Week will be December 4-10, but you can host an Hour of Code all year round. Computer Science Education Week is held annually in recognition of the birthday of computing pioneer Admiral Grace Murray Hopper (December 9, 1906).
Ozoblockly (program the Ozobot)
A List Sites/Apps for Learning how to Program or Code:
- Lightbot (ages 5-13) also an app
- Tynker (ages 5+) also an app
- Khan Academy Hour of Code (Middle School +)
- Scratch (ages 8+, including high school)
- Scratch Jr. (ages 5-9) app only
- Appinventor (Middle School+)
- Code Combat (Middle School +)
- Hopscotch (ages 9+) app only
- A.L.E.X. (all ages) app only
- Swift Playgrounds (ages 9+) iPad app only
- App Lab (ages 13+) Design apps in either block or text coding
Try out the first lesson in “student mode” to see exactly how your student will learn to code with Codesters.
Watch Lesson 1 Video
Learn how our coding lessons are structured to guide students through building projects, debugging their programs, and then building their own projects from scratch.
Kahoot of course
Seesaw – Student driven digital portfolios and simple parent communication. For iOS, Android, Kindle Fire, Chromebooks and Computers with Chrome or Firefox.
Performance Tasks – A performance task is any learning activity or assessment that asks students to perform to demonstrate their knowledge, understanding and proficiency. Performance tasks yield a tangible product and/or performance that serve as evidence of learning. Performance tasks put students into roles that allow them to complete a real-life task. Examples in:
Digital Citizenship Integration
What aspects of digital citizenship need to be addressed when conducting formative assessments with your students?
- Internet Safety
- Privacy & Security
- Relationships & Communication
- Digital Footprint & Reputation
- Self-image & Identity
- Information Literacy
- Creative Credit & Copyright
Little or No Prep Tools & Resources
Phonics Genius is the best phonics app I know. It lists over 6,000 words by phonic sounds. Highlights phonic sounds in red at beginning or end of words. Record your voice or your students voice and listen to compare articulation to the pre-recorded word. Quiz modes. Adjustable timing, fonts, color, and play modes.
Mark is another TEC21 facilitator that is a cornucopia of resources and links. This is his website with a plethora of sites that are grouped according to what you need. You want it, Mark has it.
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
Inspire! We are each other’s BEST resources 🙂
1. Design a formative or summative assessment strategy or activity to use with your students and have it include a technology component to it (web- or tablet-based app).
2. During the week of December 4–10, plan to have your students join millions of students around the world in participating in an “Hour of Code” (A great activity to engage your students in during the craziness of December.)
3. Post a comment, link, or student work to the TEC21’s online Google+ community.
4. Be a resource to at least one new person on your faculty before we meet again.
5. TEC21 Registration for the 2017/2018 school year opens on January 2, 2018. Encourage a fellow teacher to be a TEC21 participant next year! Share with them the value of being connected with other Lutheran school educators and the impact it’s had on you, your classroom and your students. Thank you for being an ambassador for TEC21!
Dismiss at 2:00pm
My Contact Info
Wendy Kretschmar School : 920-452-6882 firstname.lastname@example.org