March 2022 Agenda—Mayer, Minnesota
Begin at 9:00am
- To WiFi: MLHS Guest
- How to get to today’s agenda: https://tec21connect.com/agenda/march-2022-agenda-mayer-minnesota/ Workshops, Agendas, Mayer, MN, March
- All remote learners will join Blackboard Collaborate at 8:45 a.m. https://us.bbcollab.com/guest/92748be050b8446694133510b193964c
- To each other – Reconnect with your fellow TEC21 participants!
- Cell Phone Numbers – if you want to contact someone in our group, here is our Cell Phone Directory
- Workshop Dates-Snow Day plan if Mayer Lutheran closes: Remote Workshop
- Additional Breakout Rooms for group work
- Virtual Workshop_Main Room
- Virtual Workshop_Breakout Room #1
- Virtual Workshop_Breakout Room #2
Padlet Reconnecting: Keeps and Kicks
How many Bible stories from the life of Christ can you recognize in this music video? The stories change quickly, so use the microphone on your phone or laptop to take voice notes. Then, on this collaborative Jamboard add a sticky note for each Bible story you see in the video.
With our God: HE IS RISEN!! HAPPY EASTER!!
Let’s take some time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. Share a success, a challenge you experienced or a lesson learned.
1.You expressed needs for using FlipGrid.
2.You also want to know how to link 24 Google Slides into one presentation that can automatically advance without publishing.
A simple way to combine student Google Slides presentations is to open one, then go to the next one and click on the first slide and while holding down the Command key continue to click on each slide. Then double click and copy. Go to the presentation you want to add the slides to, open a new slide on the left and paste. Repeat this procedure with each presentation. SAMPLE
With the presentation view up, move your mouse to the bottom-left corner of the presentation screen to show the toolbar. On the toolbar, click the three-dot menu and expand the Auto-play item. Then on this menu, click the Loop option at the bottom to enable presentation looping.
Also on this menu, you’ll need to choose a timing for your slides so that they play automatically. There are quick options, like Every second or Every 2 seconds. The longest options are Every 30 seconds or Every minute. Choose what timing is right based on your presentation type.
3.Most of you wanted time to go back into past agendas to try tools. I am going to give you the gift of time. 20 minutes to go back into a past agenda to learn a tool you wanted to try but haven’t had time to. Create a project with it and share it showing us how you did it. This is great prep for Celebration Day! Here’s the link – https://tec21connect.com/2021-2022-workshop-agendas/
Embed the link to your project on this collaborative Google Doc we will use for our ideas today.
1. The next workshop date is scheduled for Thursday, April 28.
2. Today is CSP Day, a time to unite to make a difference in the lives of CSP students! Check out this website to see continuous updates, and consider joining in some of the activities or making a gift.
3. A One-Day Seminar on the Book of Jonah: Six Bible Study Sessions and a Five-Part Sermon Series for pastors and laity. On CSP’s campus or online. March 19, 9:00-3:00. Through the ages, whether in art or literature, cartoon or animation, Jonah has been a star of the first magnitude. The author of Jonah did his work so well that his book continues to delight and challenge the simple soul as much as the sophisticated scholar. Based on Dr. Reed Lessing’s CPH commentary on Jonah, this workshop will fill minds with biblical truth and fire hearts to take God’s love to the world. Participants will receive a six-session Bible Study on Jonah, while pastors also receive five-part sermon series (and orders of worship) based on the book of Jonah. Feel free to share in your publications and/or forward to others.
Contact email@example.com with questions. Register HERE
4. March 22: Poehler Lecture: From Genesis to Revelation. Dr. Mary Ann Yang, Christian female scientist at CSP. She pioneered the Biology Research Program at CSP to provide students with the opportunities to engage in cutting-edge and clinically-relevant research. She continues to fuel the program through securing various internal and external funding and establishing collaborative efforts with the Mayo Clinic and international research universities. Her work has earned her the 2018 National Science Foundation’s Research Opportunity Award. Additionally, she was recognized by the INSIGHT Into Diversity with the 2016 Inspiring Women in STEM Award. Buetow Music Center Auditorium, Hamline Avenue, Saint Paul 7:00 pm
5. An Update to CSP’s Church Work Tuition Guarantee
Click here to learn more about the church work tuition guarantee:
6. This summer, we will be preparing our TEC21 website for “Season 14”, so we encourage you to bookmark the “Season 13” workshop agendas now so you have access to them in the future. Here’s the link – https://tec21connect.com/2021-2022-workshop-agendas/ Note: When we perform quarterly updates on our website’s theme, webpages and various plug-ins, we do not include all of the previous years’ agendas (webpages) in the process. This means that over time past agendas may start to look a little wonky, but the links and resources will still be accessible for you 🙂
7. We are forming our next cohorts for Season 14! Word of mouth and personal testimonies can go a long way helping us support more teachers. Can you please encourage teachers you know to register for a cohort near them? We would GREATLY appreciate it! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
8. “Celebration Day” is next month and it is a time to celebrate each other’s successes! This will be an opportunity for you to share what you have learned and how you have grown as an educator through the processes of sharing best practices with one another, inquiry and implementation through trial and error. What does the format of the day look like and what can you do to prepare?
- Think of the day as a mini-conference and each of you will be the presenters (Remember that you are sharing with friends, so don’t sweat this and have fun with it!)
- Spend approximately 10 minutes showing some things you’ve accomplished this year–what you did, how you did it, and why you did it–and/or some things you are planning to do for next year.
- Select this SHARED FOLDER. Add your first & last name, description & links to your respective center’s collaborative Google Doc in preparation for “Celebration Day”. Do you have samples of student projects hosted on the web? Share those links, too! Here’s an example of a variety of different ways past TEC21 Teachers presented their learning – SAMPLE.
- You might also want to use the Celebration Day guide to help to organize your thoughts. To download a copy to print, click HERE.
9. Three graduate-level credits available through Concordia University, Nebraska:
How to Obtain 3 Graduate-level Credits Through Your TEC21 Experience
Will you be needing to renew your teaching license soon? Are you considering starting a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction within the next five years? If you answered “yes” to either of these questions, you might consider applying to Concordia University, Nebraska, to receive three graduate-level credits for your TEC21 experience. There is no additional work that is required of you and the process is simple. The application period will open during February’s workshop day and run through May 15, 2022. For your convenience, a link to the online application will be included on our final three agendas (February, March and April).
First, select the “Apply Here” link to create an account.
Next, complete the fields in the form. Where it asks for Academic Level, select “Non-Degree Coursework”. Where it asks for Entry Term, select “Summer Semester 2022”. Where it asks for Academic Program, select “TEC21”. After completing the remaining fields, select “Create Account”.
Next, check your email for confirmation that your application came through successfully.
Last, select the link provided in the confirmation email to make your online payment in the amount of $240 ($80/credit hour) using a debit or credit card. That’s it! You’re done!
On June 1, transcripts will be available upon request. If you ever have questions regarding how these three graduate-level credits could be applied to a master’s degree program now or in the coming years (they are good for 5 years), contact Anna Boriack, Director of Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Innovation Specialist. She will be happy to help you. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Concordia University, Nebraska is a ministry partner of TEC21, so they may email you from time to time to share opportunities of how these credits could be applied toward graduate-level programs they offer.
Please note: The opportunity detailed above is optional. Additionally, all TEC21 participants will receive a certificate on the final workshop day stating 35 professional development hours have been completed through the TEC21 Workshop Program. How state board of education departments and the 35 LCMS districts recognize these 35 hours of professional development vary from state to state and district to district. Contact your respective state’s board of education department or your LCMS district office if you have any questions on how to renew your certificate or license using your TEC21 experience.
We look forward in Workshop #6 to further discover ways to inspire student learning in technology enriched classrooms.
1. Explore Project-Based Learning and Alternatives to Reading Response using technology.
2. Create and share three technology projects that could be used by or with students to demonstrate learning.
3. Be a resource to another colleague by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
TPACK Model- Today we focus on Pedagogy supported by Technology
Project-Based Learning Using Technology: Activities
The 6 Must-Have Elements of High Quality Project-Based Learning: Intellectual challenge & accomplishment, authenticity, public product, collaboration, project management, reflection
An Introduction to Design Thinking: Empathize, Define, Ideate, Prototype, Test. (may be non-linear)
Our Project: Select one of the following and working with a partner in break out rooms go through the Project-Based Learning activity and create a product that demonstrates your learning using technology to share with the class. You will have 30 minutes.
- Living the Faith We Profess task based on this website: Living the Faith We Profess
- Building a Biodiversity Timeline. task based on this website: Building a Biodiversity Timeline.
- Sounds of the Civil Rights Movement task
- Minnesota Statehood Timeline task
- PBS Learning Media Go to Observing Weather Patterns-Procedures. Read through the lesson, then consider how students could demonstrate their learning using technology. Note that this site gives the option to select a topic of your own by subject and grade.
Alternatives to Reading Response
ISTE for Educators standards: 7a Provide alternative ways for students to demonstrate competency and reflect on their learning using technology.
Students get tired of writing book reports or answers to questions about what they read. Today we will create an alternative to the traditional written assessment. Select one of the following tools and create a project that responds to something you or your students read recently. Put the link to your project in this Google Doc to share. You will have 30 minutes.
- Vlog Screencast-O-Matic Example on YouTube: 100 Harry Potter Things to do when you are not at Hogwart
- Powtoon Animated Video Powtoon : Book Report on Pink and Say example; Powtoon website with templates
- Podcast Anchor example How to Video Sample Podcast Create your podcast picture and title generic so you can add a variety of episodes.
- Video iMovie trailers
- Factile Jeopardy. Factile is the #1 Jeopardy-style classroom quiz review game! Sample Factile Jeopardy Game
- Create a Playlist. Music is often found in the background of movies and can be a creative way for students to respond to reading. They can actually create a playlist in YouTube, Spotify, or other music sources. Or they can simply link to the song in a Word Document as they tell why they selected each song. Sample playlist created to respond to novel “Ninth Ward.”
- FlipGrid. Create a FlipGrid and have students record themselves telling about the book they read, ending with a question to leave the audience wanting to read the book to find out what happens!
Living Nations, Living Words, the signature project of United States Poet Laureate Joy Harjo, conveys through poetry that Native people and poets have vital and unequivocal roots in this country. The project features a digital ArcGIS StoryMap, which integrates an interactive national map of 47 contemporary Native poets—and connects to a new online audio collection that features the participating poets reading and discussing original poems. Sample ArcGIS Story Map
Center- and Educator-Specific Digital Tools & Resources
1. Digital: Prepare for Celebration Day! You’ll be among friends, so have fun with this! Use the outline below with its questions and strategies to prepare for the day. To download and print a copy, click HERE.
2. Social: Post to the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. It can be to ask a question, leave a comment, answer someone’s question, share something that is on your mind, or simply to encourage someone.
3. Spiritual: Be a resource to at least one new person on your faculty before we meet again.
4. Season 14 cohorts are forming now! Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Personal testimonies go a long way, so we would be most grateful if you would help us by thinking of a fellow teacher or teachers that you could encourage to register for the 2022/2023 school year. They could be teachers from your school or any other school for that matter. With your help we will be able to impact more teachers and their students for the sake of the gospel. Share with them how valuable it’s been to you to be able to connect with other teachers serving in Lutheran schools outside of your school building and the positive impact it’s having on you and your students. We thank you in advance for any support of our efforts that you can give to us. Thank you for supporting our mission and vision and being an ambassador for TEC21! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
To open the reflection in its own tab, select HERE.
Dismiss at 2:00pm
My Contact Info
Please feel free to reach out if you ever need any help with technology integration or you have questions about something we covered in TEC21! I am always happy to help.
email: LFriedrich@csp.edu Twitter: @FriedrichLaurie Cell: 402-641-5967 (call or text) Blog: http://laurieteachingblog.blogspot.com/