March 2021 Agenda—Shawnee, Kansas
Begin at 9:00am
Another Christian Sand Artist is Joe Castillo! Check him out on Youtube!
1. The next workshop date is scheduled for Thursday, April 29.
2. https://gregtangmath.com has some wonderful Professional Development resources! Check him out!
3. Our next cohorts for the 2021/2022 school year are filling up fast! We know that word of mouth and personal testimonies or words of encouragement can go a long way. So, if you can encourage a teacher to register, we would greatly appreciate it! As a thank you, for every teacher that registers on account of you, we will enter both your name and theirs into our drawing announcing two winners at the end of March for a chance to win your choice of a $50 gift card to Teachers Pay Teachers or Amazon! Do you have other friends or family members teaching in Lutheran schools? If so, you can encourage them to join a cohort near them and we’ll again enter your name and theirs also. The more teachers you get to register, the more times your name will be entered into the drawing. All you need to do is encourage someone to register for TEC21 for the 2021/2022 school year and reach out to Helena (email@example.com). In order to be officially submitted in the drawing, she needs to have your name and the teacher you encouraged. #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
4. “Celebration Day” is next month and it is a time to celebrate each other’s successes! What does the format of the day look like and what can you do to prepare? This will be an opportunity for you to share what you have learned and how you have grown as an educator through the processes of inquiry, investigation, and implementation. How can you prepare?
Think of the day as a mini-conference and each of you will be the presenters (Remember that you are sharing with friends, so keep this all in perspective and have fun with this.)
Spend approximately 10 minutes showing some things you’ve accomplished this year – what you did, how you did it, and why you did it.
Click on the SHARED DOCUMENTS to add your first & last name, description & links to your respective center’s Google Doc in preparation for “Celebration Day”. Do you have samples of student projects hosted on the web? Share those links, too! Here’s an example of a variety of different ways past TEC21 Teachers presented their learning – SAMPLE.
You might also want to use the Celebration Day guide to help to organize your thoughts. To download a copy to print, click HERE.
How to Obtain 3 Graduate-level Credits Through Your TEC21 Experience
Will you be needing to renew your teaching license soon? Are you thinking about pursuing a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction? If you answered “yes” to either of these questions, we encourage you to consider applying to Concordia University, Nebraska, to receive three graduate-level credits for your TEC21 experience. There is no additional work that is required of you and the process is simple. The online application is now open and runs through May 15, 2021. Follow these four easy steps to apply:
First, select the “Apply Here” link to create an account.
Next, complete the fields in the form. Where it asks for Academic Level, select “Non-Degree Coursework”. Where it asks for Entry Term, select “Summer Semester 2021”. Where it asks for Academic Program, select “TEC21”. After completing the remaining fields, select “Create Account”.
Now, check your email for confirmation that your application came through successfully.
Lastly, select the link provided in the confirmation email to make your online payment in the amount of $240 ($80/credit hour) using a debit or credit card. That’s it! You’re done!
On June 1, transcripts will be available upon request. If you ever have questions regarding how these three graduate-level credits could be applied to a master’s degree program now or in the coming years (they are good for 5 years), contact Anna Boriack, Director of Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Innovation Specialist. She will be happy to help you. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Concordia University, Nebraska is a ministry partner of TEC21, so they may email you from time to time to share opportunities of how these credits could be applied toward graduate-level programs they offer.
Please note: The opportunity detailed above is optional. Additionally, all TEC21 participants will receive a certificate on the final workshop day stating 35 professional development hours have been completed through the TEC21 Workshop Program. How state board of education departments and the 35 LCMS districts recognize these 35 hours of professional development vary from state to state and district to district. (For example, see how the Kansas District of the LCMS Licensure Renewal has a distinct process in place for the teachers serving in this district.) So, be sure to contact your respective state’s board of education department or your LCMS district office if you have any questions on how to renew your certificate or license using your TEC21 experience!
1. Discover …virtual field trips!
2. Explore … more classroom resources!
3. Design … your project for Celebration Day!
4. Be a resource to another teacher by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
Virtual Field Trips
COVID sure changed the way we can do field trips this year! Thank goodness for online resources! Be sure to check with your administration! I was approved to take my students to the WW 1 Museum following their COVID guidelines!
Sub-topic #1 – Virtual Field Trips for Our Youngest Learners!
Sub-topic #2 – Virtual Field Trips for Our Elementary Learners!
Sub-topic #3 – Middle School ideas for the tweens!
Sub-topic #4 – Ideas for High School Students
Digital Tools & Resources
WriteReader is a favorite writing tool for elementary school students. WriteReader is a free service that students can use to create multimedia ebooks. Students can select pictures from a large gallery of drawings, including Sesame Street drawings, and place them on pages in their books. Directly below each image, there is space for students to write and for teachers to add corrections. Here’s a tutorial on how to use WriteReader.
Wakelet is like “Pinterest for Teachers and Students”! It’s a way to combine all of your best work and ideas in one place! A great tool for older students to organize their work! Think of it as a digital portfolio
Here is an example that a friend of mine made. She is a high school Spanish teacher. https://wke.lt/w/s/ZIwpOK
Explore.org Explore.org hosts live streaming videos from all over the world allowing learners to observe a variety of animals in their natural habitats.
Kids Know It Kids Know It contains educational activities, learning programs, movies, worksheets and games for students.
The Teacher’s Corner Collaborative teacher Resources, Lesson Plans, Worksheets and Activities. Web, free.
TeachersNetwork Lots of resources here for any teacher at any grade level.
Steve Sprangler Science This site is my go-to for every experiment that I can’t (or won’t) do in class.
KathySchrock In her own words, it’s her guide to everything!
YouthGroupGames Need some fun in class on Friday?
FunBrain Created for kids in grades Pre-K through 8, Funbrain.com has been the leader in free educational games for kids since 1997. Funbrain offers hundreds of games, books, comics, and videos that develop skills in math, reading, problem-solving and literacy.
ReadWorks A great site that uses ELA lessons and units geared from K-8 aligned to the standards. Plus, it’s free!
Truth For Kids A wonderful devotion for kids for each day of the month! Fantastic!!
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
1. Digital: Prepare for Celebration Day! Have fun with this! Use the questions and strategies on the following document to prepare for the day: click HERE.
2. Social: Registration for the TEC21 Workshop Program for the 2021/2022 school year opened on January 2, 2021. Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Share with them the value of connecting with other teachers serving in Lutheran schools and the impact it’s having on you and your students. Thank you in advance for being an ambassador for TEC21 and supporting our vision and mission for the sake of the Gospel! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
3. Spiritual: Be a resource to at least one new person on your faculty before we meet again.
Dismiss at 2:00pm
My Contact Info