March 2021 Agenda—Rockford, Illinois
1. The next workshop date is scheduled for Thursday, April 29th.
2. Any one know of any upcoming local, regional or national events ??
3. Our next cohorts for the 2021/2022 school year are filling up fast! We know that word of mouth and personal testimonies or words of encouragement can go a long way. So, if you can encourage a teacher to register, we would greatly appreciate it! As a thank you, for every teacher that registers on account of you, we will enter both your name and theirs into our drawing announcing two winners at the end of March for a chance to win your choice of a $50 gift card to Teachers Pay Teachers or Amazon! Do you have other friends or family members teaching in Lutheran schools? If so, you can encourage them to join a cohort near them and we’ll again enter your name and theirs also. The more teachers you get to register, the more times your name will be entered into the drawing. All you need to do is encourage someone to register for TEC21 for the 2021/2022 school year and reach out to Helena (firstname.lastname@example.org). In order to be officially submitted in the drawing, she needs to have your name and the teacher you encouraged. #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
4. “Celebration Day” is next month and it is a time to celebrate each other’s successes! What does the format of the day look like and what can you do to prepare? This will be an opportunity for you to share what you have learned and how you have grown as an educator through the processes of inquiry, investigation, and implementation. How can you prepare?
- Think of the day as a mini-conference and each of you will be the presenters (Remember that you are sharing with friends, so keep this all in perspective and have fun with this.)
- Spend approximately 10 minutes showing some things you’ve accomplished this year – what you did, how you did it, and why you did it.
- Click on the SHARED DOCUMENTS to add your first & last name, description & links to your respective center’s Google Doc in preparation for “Celebration Day”. Do you have samples of student projects hosted on the web? Share those links, too! Here’s an example of a variety of different ways past TEC21 Teachers presented their learning – SAMPLE.
- You might also want to use the Celebration Day guide to help to organize your thoughts. To download a copy to print, click HERE.
How to Obtain 3 Graduate-level Credits Through Your TEC21 Experience
Will you be needing to renew your teaching license soon? Are you thinking about pursuing a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction? If you answered “yes” to either of these questions, we encourage you to consider applying to Concordia University, Nebraska, to receive three graduate-level credits for your TEC21 experience. There is no additional work that is required of you and the process is simple. The online application is now open and runs through May 15, 2021. Follow these four easy steps to apply:
First, select the “Apply Here” link to create an account.
Next, complete the fields in the form. Where it asks for Academic Level, select “Non-Degree Coursework”. Where it asks for Entry Term, select “Summer Semester 2021”. Where it asks for Academic Program, select “TEC21”. After completing the remaining fields, select “Create Account”.
Now, check your email for confirmation that your application came through successfully.
Lastly, select the link provided in the confirmation email to make your online payment in the amount of $240 ($80/credit hour) using a debit or credit card. That’s it! You’re done!
On June 1, transcripts will be available upon request. If you ever have questions regarding how these three graduate-level credits could be applied to a master’s degree program now or in the coming years (they are good for 5 years), contact Anna Boriack, Director of Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Innovation Specialist. She will be happy to help you. Her email address is email@example.com. Concordia University, Nebraska is a ministry partner of TEC21, so they may email you from time to time to share opportunities of how these credits could be applied toward graduate-level programs they offer.
Please note: The opportunity detailed above is optional. Additionally, all TEC21 participants will receive a certificate on the final workshop day stating 35 professional development hours have been completed through the TEC21 Workshop Program. How state board of education departments and the 35 LCMS districts recognize these 35 hours of professional development vary from state to state and district to district. (For example, see how the Kansas District of the LCMS Licensure Renewal has a distinct process in place for the teachers serving in this district.) So, be sure to contact your respective state’s board of education department or your LCMS district office if you have any questions on how to renew your certificate or license using your TEC21 experience!
1. Discover how PBL/ Genius Hour and Gamification can enhance student engagement and ownership of learning.
2. Explore a variety of ways students of all ages can learn and demonstrate learning in PBL.
3. Design a PBL unit or way to implement gamification into your classroom.
4. Be a resource to another teacher by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
Project Based Learning (PBL)
What is PBL?
How can I implement PBL in my classroom (face-to-face, synchronous online, or asynchronous online)?
Genius Hour (How to do this in your classroom!)
Digital Tools & Resources
Toontastic A digital storytelling tool that teaches kids how to organize and present story ideas through cartoons. It employs a “Story Arc” that contains five sequential scenes to guide story structure (Setup, Conflict, Challenge, Climax, and Resolution).
Learn Sight Words See and hear over 300 sight words flashcards on your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. In most schools, children are expected to learn these “high-frequency” words by sight, without sounding out, by the end of the first grade.
Purpose Games allows you to create, play and share games. Using Purpose Games you will be able to create your own custom games to use with your students. You can for instance create a quiz game based on an image you upload from your computer and where you place dots for questions or you can create similar game but this time using shapes for questions. Another great feature Purpose Games offers to teachers is the ability to create a classroom group where you can let your students practice, get assignment and take tests.
Glogsters Glogsters is a multimedia interactive poster. Express ideas with ease by combining images, graphics, audio, video, and text on one digital canvas.
Minecraft Education Edition A game-based learning platform with standards-aligned content across K12 subjects and special features designed for classroom use.
Puzzlemaker Puzzlemaker is a puzzle generation tool for teachers, students and parents. Create and print customized word search, criss-cross, math puzzles, and more-using your own word lists.
Crash Course Videos on a variety of topics. Hank Green is very entertaining and does a good job explaining a variety of things.
Rewordify Rewordify allows students to paste a link and get back a version with simpler words and sentence constructions. When students hover over highlighted areas the original, richer text shows up so they can gradually build their vocabulary and familiarity with difficult texts.
Cookie Cookie is a website that provides games and tools aimed at enriching the early childhood process of learning. With ages 3-8 in mind, the site is organized by both subject area and age group.
Resources for Online Teaching 75+ free online resources for online teaching and everything is free!
Phonics Genius This Phonics Genius app is loaded with content: over 6,000 professionally recorded words carefully grouped into 225 categories by phonics. You can add your own cards and record your own voice. Customizable to hear sound and show phonic highlights in red or not. Now 99 cents but well worth it. For ages 1-8.
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
1. Digital: Prepare for Celebration Day! Have fun with this! Use the questions and strategies on the following document to prepare for the day: click HERE.
2. Social: Registration for the TEC21 Workshop Program for the 2021/2022 school year opened on January 2, 2021. Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Share with them the value of connecting with other teachers serving in Lutheran schools and the impact it’s having on you and your students. Thank you in advance for being an ambassador for TEC21 and supporting our vision and mission for the sake of the Gospel! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
3. Spiritual: Be a resource to at least one new person on your faculty before we meet again.
Dismiss at 2:00pm
My Contact Info
Cell: (815) 985-4351