March 2021 Agenda—Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Begin at 9:00am
Videos resources to share with you families through Holy week
God’s Story: Palm Sunday
God’s Story: The Last supper
Beginner’s Bible: Easter
1. The next workshop date is scheduled for Thursday, April 29.
2. October 21-22, 2021 – Iowa Teachers Conference
3. Our next cohorts for the 2021/2022 school year are filling up fast! We know that word of mouth and personal testimonies or words of encouragement can go a long way. So, if you can encourage a teacher to register, we would greatly appreciate it! As a thank you, for every teacher that registers on account of you, we will enter both your name and theirs into our drawing announcing two winners at the end of March for a chance to win your choice of a $50 gift card to Teachers Pay Teachers or Amazon! Do you have other friends or family members teaching in Lutheran schools? If so, you can encourage them to join a cohort near them and we’ll again enter your name and theirs also. The more teachers you get to register, the more times your name will be entered into the drawing. All you need to do is encourage someone to register for TEC21 for the 2021/2022 school year and reach out to Helena (email@example.com). In order to be officially submitted in the drawing, she needs to have your name and the teacher you encouraged. #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
4. “Celebration Day” is next month and it is a time to celebrate each other’s successes! What does the format of the day look like and what can you do to prepare? This will be an opportunity for you to share what you have learned and how you have grown as an educator through the processes of inquiry, investigation, and implementation. How can you prepare?
- Think of the day as a mini-conference and each of you will be the presenters (Remember that you are sharing with friends, so keep this all in perspective and have fun with this.)
- Spend approximately 10 minutes showing some things you’ve accomplished this year – what you did, how you did it, and why you did it.
- Click on the SHARED DOCUMENTS to add your first & last name, description & links to your respective center’s Google Doc in preparation for “Celebration Day”. Do you have samples of student projects hosted on the web? Share those links, too! Here’s an example of a variety of different ways past TEC21 Teachers presented their learning – SAMPLE.
- You might also want to use the Celebration Day guide to help to organize your thoughts. To download a copy to print, click HERE.
How to Obtain 3 Graduate-level Credits Through Your TEC21 Experience
Will you be needing to renew your teaching license soon? Are you thinking about pursuing a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction? If you answered “yes” to either of these questions, we encourage you to consider applying to Concordia University, Nebraska, to receive three graduate-level credits for your TEC21 experience. There is no additional work that is required of you and the process is simple. The online application is now open and runs through May 15, 2021. Follow these four easy steps to apply:
First, select the “Apply Here” link to create an account.
Next, complete the fields in the form. Where it asks for Academic Level, select “Non-Degree Coursework”. Where it asks for Entry Term, select “Summer Semester 2021”. Where it asks for Academic Program, select “TEC21”. After completing the remaining fields, select “Create Account”.
Now, check your email for confirmation that your application came through successfully.
Lastly, select the link provided in the confirmation email to make your online payment in the amount of $240 ($80/credit hour) using a debit or credit card. That’s it! You’re done!
On June 1, transcripts will be available upon request. If you ever have questions regarding how these three graduate-level credits could be applied to a master’s degree program now or in the coming years (they are good for 5 years), contact Anna Boriack, Director of Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Innovation Specialist. She will be happy to help you. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Concordia University, Nebraska is a ministry partner of TEC21, so they may email you from time to time to share opportunities of how these credits could be applied toward graduate-level programs they offer.
Please note: The opportunity detailed above is optional. Additionally, all TEC21 participants will receive a certificate on the final workshop day stating 35 professional development hours have been completed through the TEC21 Workshop Program. How state board of education departments and the 35 LCMS districts recognize these 35 hours of professional development vary from state to state and district to district. (For example, see how the Kansas District of the LCMS Licensure Renewal has a distinct process in place for the teachers serving in this district.) So, be sure to contact your respective state’s board of education department or your LCMS district office if you have any questions on how to renew your certificate or license using your TEC21 experience!
4. Be a resource to another teacher by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
Minecraft – WHAT IS MINECRAFT: EDUCATION EDITION?
A game-based learning platform with standards-aligned content across K12 subjects and special features designed for classroom use.
4D Interactive Anatomy lets you tilt, rotate, and dissect real human specimens online. Try the free trial to see how you can remove layers of the anatomy to reveal muscles, bones, and organs. 4D Interactive Anatomy
Weekly STEM Activities Curriculum This Google Doc provides one STEM activity for each week of the school year. The curriculum includes basic instruction, material lists and pictures.
Shake up Learning Podcasts for teachers: PD on the go
Merge Cube-Hold learning in your hand…https://miniverse.io/cube
Digital Tools & Resources
Puzzlemaker is a puzzle generation tool for teachers, students and parents. Create and print customized word search, criss-cross, math puzzles, and more-using your own word lists.
Google Trends by Google analyzes popular searches across the world. Search by region or time for an interesting snapshot of what is important across the globe at any moment in time. The information is presented in easy to read graphs that can spark great discussions around current events.
Blendspace is a digital learning platform for teachers to access various resources and create bundled and interactive lessons.
At Bomomo, children can experiment to their heart’s content. There’s a range of interesting tools, and the best way to discover what they can do is to simply try them. Click one of the icons at the bottom of the screen, then move and click your mouse to make a cool abstract composition. If you can’t save the creation, try taking a screen grab of it. There is also an iOS app.
With Math is Fun kids in grades K-12 can practice math with easy-to-learn games and activities. Check out all the options at this website, iPad app, or Google Play app. Even a dictionary of visuals to explain math terms.
Storyline Online®, streams videos featuring celebrated actors reading children’s books alongside creatively produced illustrations.
Classroomscreen is an online tool that allows you to display the instructions for your lesson in a clear and visual way. Choose from over 13 widgets to support your class activities and help students get to work.
Lino is a web-based sticky note platform that lets users add virtual sticky notes to a virtual bulletin board, or “canvas.” Each note can contain simple text, or you can add photos. Canvases can be left public or made private, and you can invite others to join and contribute content.
The Novel Effect app follows follows your voice as you read out loud from kids story books and responds at just the right moment with music, sounds, and character voices.
Kami is an online document annotation and markup tool. Highlight, underline, and strikethrough text in PDF and other document formats. Add text boxes, shapes, and images. Collaborate on documents in the while avoiding the hassles of printing documents.
Wonderscope is an iOS app for kids that uses Augmented Reality to transform ordinary spaces into extraordinary stories.
Halo AR. Bring your pictures and presentations to life with Halo AR! Take a photo of anything flat and pick a 3D overlay to appear on top of it and share with others! Classroom uses are endless!
Videos on a variety of topics. Hank Green is very entertaining and does a good job explaining a variety of things.
Free online coloring pages for kids with a rich variety of colorful patterns, gradients, fabrics, papers and textures for hours of fun and creativity.
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
1. Digital: Prepare for Celebration Day! Have fun with this! Use the questions and strategies on the following document to prepare for the day: click HERE.
2. Social: Registration for the TEC21 Workshop Program for the 2021/2022 school year opened on January 2, 2021. Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Share with them the value of connecting with other teachers serving in Lutheran schools and the impact it’s having on you and your students. Thank you in advance for being an ambassador for TEC21 and supporting our vision and mission for the sake of the Gospel! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
3. Spiritual: Be a resource to at least one new person on your faculty before we meet again.
Dismiss at 2:00pm
My Contact Info