February 2021 Agenda—Phoenix, Arizona
Begin at 9:00am
Connecting… Round Robin: 1-1-1-1-1
- 1 – Word to describe your family
- 1 – Thing you loved as a child
- 1 – Favorite show/movie/book you love
- 1 – Favorite vacation of all time
- 1 – Moment when you loved being a teacher
1. The next workshop date is scheduled for Thursday, March 25. **Still good for everyone?**
2. Future PD Opportunities:
3. This summer, we will be preparing our TEC21 website for “Season 13” so we encourage you to bookmark the “Season 12” workshop agendas now so you have access to them in the future. Here’s the link – https://tec21connect.com/2020-2021-workshop-agendas/ Note: When we perform quarterly updates on our website’s theme, webpages and various plug-ins, we do not include all of the previous years’ agendas (webpages) in the process. This means that over time past agendas may start to look a little wonky, but the links and resources will still be accessible for you 🙂
4. Three graduate-level credits available through Concordia University, Nebraska:
How to Obtain 3 Graduate-level Credits Through Your TEC21 Experience
Will you be needing to renew your teaching license soon? Are you thinking about pursuing a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction? If you answered “yes” to either of these questions, we encourage you to consider applying to Concordia University, Nebraska, to receive three graduate-level credits for your TEC21 experience. There is no additional work that is required of you and the process is simple. The online application is now open and runs through May 15, 2021. Follow these four easy steps to apply:
First, select the “Apply Here” link to create an account.
Next, complete the fields in the form. Where it asks for Academic Level, select “Non-Degree Coursework”. Where it asks for Entry Term, select “Summer Semester 2021”. Where it asks for Academic Program, select “TEC21”. After completing the remaining fields, select “Create Account”.
Now, check your email for confirmation that your application came through successfully.
Lastly, select the link provided in the confirmation email to make your online payment in the amount of $240 ($80/credit hour) using a debit or credit card. That’s it! You’re done!
On June 1, transcripts will be available upon request. If you ever have questions regarding how these three graduate-level credits could be applied to a master’s degree program now or in the coming years (they are good for 5 years), contact Anna Boriack, Director of Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Innovation Specialist. She will be happy to help you. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Concordia University, Nebraska is a ministry partner of TEC21, so they may email you from time to time to share opportunities of how these credits could be applied toward graduate-level programs they offer.
Please note: The opportunity detailed above is optional. Additionally, all TEC21 participants will receive a certificate on the final workshop day stating 35 professional development hours have been completed through the TEC21 Workshop Program. How state board of education departments and the 35 LCMS districts recognize these 35 hours of professional development vary from state to state and district to district. (For example, see how the Kansas District of the LCMS Licensure Renewal has a distinct process in place for the teachers serving in this district.) So, be sure to contact your respective state’s board of education department or your LCMS district office if you have any questions on how to renew your certificate or license using your TEC21 experience!
Let’s take some time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. Share a success, a challenge you experienced or a lesson learned.
1. Discover the educational value of student-created video activities.
2. Explore video creation tools and resources to use with your students.
3. Design a student-centered project or assessment involving the use of video.
4. Be a resource to another teacher by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
Screencastify – Free screen recorder extension for Chrome. Capture, edit and share screencasts. No software download required. Works on Mac, Windows and Chromebooks. See some examples of how to use in the classroom. 5 minute time limit (free accounts).
Tutorial for Tes Teach with Blendspace – Created by Screencast-o-matic – Tes Teach is the website that allows you to create one place for your students to go to explore resources that you put there for them.
Still Shot Video
Many of my students regularly watch tutorials on YouTube to learn things like how to advance in a video game or do a dance move, and they’re eager to make this type of video to share with their friends. Tutorials are a great way for students to show a deep understanding of a skill, practice, or concept. They not only know how to do something but can teach others how to do it. (https://www.edutopia.org/article/student-created-videos-classroom)
Digital Tools & Resources
Green Screen by Do Ink – The #1 Green Screen app for the iPad and iPhone in Education is also a 2019 Winner of the Best Apps for Teaching and Learning by the AASL (American Association of School Librarians). Classroom-tested by kids and teachers, this app emphasizes ease-of-use and simplicity while still enabling fantastic results. With Green Screen by Do Ink, you can tell a story, explain an idea, and express yourself in truly creative and unique ways.
Chatterpix– Make anything talk — pets, friends, doodles, and more. Simply take any photo, draw a line to make a mouth, and record your voice. Then share your Pix with friends and family as silly greetings, playful messages, creative cards, fancy book reports, or retellings of learning about anything. And best of all, it’s FREE!
Stop Motion Animator is a free Chrome app for creating stop motion videos. The app is free and easy to use. It does not even require students to create accounts in order to use it. Watch this video to see how to use Stop Motion Animator.
Emily’s Sample Video (no judgements…it was made in about two minutes of time)
Vizmato is an easy to use Movie maker, that let’s you add filters, themes, music, effects and text to make your videos super cool. Share these videos with your friends on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Whatsapp and other social media channels!
PlayPosit is an interactive video you can give students to engage them in answering questions while they watch the video. Interactive video is…three times as effective as standard video – learners explore and apply new material at their own pace in a digital setting. It offers accountable tracking of viewing, creates and assigns impactful video experiences, enriches your flipped classroom, and streamlines tedious grading. There is a cost. Compare it to EdPuzzle to see if the free tool can do what you need.
In Read to Lead, a game-based learning platform, students are the boss in a community that needs help. Perhaps they are a Medical Director, or in charge of a Community Center. Maybe they run the local newspaper. Students must read, think, and decide on the best course of action to help the community in need. The program is designed for students in grades 5–9, with all lessons aligned to both Common Core and College and Career Readiness Standards. The three modules in Read to Lead engage students in exploring public service, medical, and journalism careers, with differentiation tools to support students with special needs.
The Curious George STEM Collection contains a variety of hands-on lesson plans teaching STEM concepts through Curious George videos. Concepts taught include simple machines, measurement, sorting, and more. Each lesson begins by watching a video, then using the concepts presented in the video to participate in a variety of learning activities. In addition to the complete lesson, each activity also includes a variety of additional resources for extending learning. Lessons align to National and Next Generation Science Standards.
Video by Dan Spada – Google created new free Google Slides templates for Teachers and students. These full customizable templates can be used for weekly journals, calendars, and participation charts. Template Link: goo.gle/2Lue72e
Bring math to life by creating a unique pixel art activity using Google Sheets! Your students will love discovering the hidden picture as they enter the correct answers into the cells. You can use this for virtually any math topic!
Create your explainer videos, promo videos, video tutorials or training videos with Moovly’s online video editor and customizable templates. Free or fee
EduProtocols are instructional lesson frames that are designed to engage students in learning through critical thinking, collaboration, communication, and creativity.
EduProtocols can be used with any subject, any grade level.
Biola University has a great resource each year through their Advent and Lenten devotional series. These multi-media devotional series have participants look at art, music and text in combination with the scriptures. Check out the 2021 Lenten series and sign up today to be notified when the devotions start!
Have students create a Wordle word cloud using words about a certain topic. Then the rest of the class tries to guess their topic! Check out the Old and New Testament samples!
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
- Digital: Apply what you learned today by designing a lesson, a student project or an assessment strategy involving the use of video.
- Social: Post to the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. It can be a comment, an answer to someone’s question, a resource, a picture of you and your students or a link to a completed project your students created.
- Spiritual: Be a resource to another teacher on your faculty by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
- Missional: Registration for the TEC21 Workshop Program for the 2021/2022 school is in full swing. Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Share with them the value of connecting with other teachers outside of your school building who are serving together in Lutheran education and the impact it’s having on you and your students. Thank you in advance for being an ambassador for TEC21 and supporting our vision and mission for the sake of the Gospel! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
Dismiss at 2:00pm