February 2021 Agenda—Livermore, California
1. The next workshop date is scheduled for Thursday, March 25.
2. CNH virtual district conference – Friday, March 26.
3. This summer, we will be preparing our TEC21 website for “Season 13” so we encourage you to bookmark the “Season 12” workshop agendas now so you have access to them in the future. Here’s the link – https://tec21connect.com/2020-2021-workshop-agendas/ Note: When we perform quarterly updates on our website’s theme, webpages and various plug-ins, we do not include all of the previous years’ agendas (webpages) in the process. This means that over time past agendas may start to look a little wonky, but the links and resources will still be accessible for you 🙂
4. Three graduate-level credits available through Concordia University, Nebraska:
How to Obtain 3 Graduate-level Credits Through Your TEC21 Experience
Will you be needing to renew your teaching license soon? Are you thinking about pursuing a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction? If you answered “yes” to either of these questions, we encourage you to consider applying to Concordia University, Nebraska, to receive three graduate-level credits for your TEC21 experience. There is no additional work that is required of you and the process is simple. The online application is now open and runs through May 15, 2021. Follow these four easy steps to apply:
First, select the “Apply Here” link to create an account.
Next, complete the fields in the form. Where it asks for Academic Level, select “Non-Degree Coursework”. Where it asks for Entry Term, select “Summer Semester 2021”. Where it asks for Academic Program, select “TEC21”. After completing the remaining fields, select “Create Account”.
Now, check your email for confirmation that your application came through successfully.
Lastly, select the link provided in the confirmation email to make your online payment in the amount of $240 ($80/credit hour) using a debit or credit card. That’s it! You’re done!
On June 1, transcripts will be available upon request. If you ever have questions regarding how these three graduate-level credits could be applied to a master’s degree program now or in the coming years (they are good for 5 years), contact Anna Boriack, Director of Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Innovation Specialist. She will be happy to help you. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Concordia University, Nebraska is a ministry partner of TEC21, so they may email you from time to time to share opportunities of how these credits could be applied toward graduate-level programs they offer.
Please note: The opportunity detailed above is optional. Additionally, all TEC21 participants will receive a certificate on the final workshop day stating 35 professional development hours have been completed through the TEC21 Workshop Program. How state board of education departments and the 35 LCMS districts recognize these 35 hours of professional development vary from state to state and district to district. (For example, see how the Kansas District of the LCMS Licensure Renewal has a distinct process in place for the teachers serving in this district.) So, be sure to contact your respective state’s board of education department or your LCMS district office if you have any questions on how to renew your certificate or license using your TEC21 experience!
Let’s take some time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. Share a success, a challenge you experienced or a lesson learned.
1. Discover the educational value of student-created video activities.
2. Explore video creation tools and resources to use with your students.
3. Design a student-centered project or assessment involving the use of video.
4. Be a resource to another teacher by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
Skip ahead to 1:04 for the start of the tutorials.
Here’s a link to the full playlist of Kevin’s channel for the 10 tutorials.
Screencastify – Free screen recorder extension for Chrome. Capture, edit and share screencasts. No software download required. Works on Mac, Windows and Chromebooks. See some examples of how to use in the classroom. 5 minute time limit (free accounts).
Tutorial for Tes Teach with Blendspace – Created by Screencast-o-matic – Tes Teach is the website that allows you to create one place for your students to go to explore resources that you put there for them.
Still Shot Video
Stop Motion Video
Interactive, engaging Pear Deck presentations stimulate discussion with formative assessment in real time. Google Slides Add-On. Create slides where students input short answers or numbers, explore websites, or answer multiple choice questions. Displays student responses anonymously. When you close the session it saves student responses in a spreadsheet. Let’s try it out! joinpd.com Works like Nearpod. Now try making your own Pear Deck using this tutorial.
Adobe Spark Video allows you to combine videos, pictures, text, and provided icons with music and audio to create a video. Here is a tutorial video to explain how. Only one component per slide. Automatically includes a list of references for images selected. Students can create these quite quickly and add their voice to tell about what they learned.I am a text block. Click edit button to build out any additional topics.
Tools for Video Production
Here’s a list of the things we talked about regarding tools for recording.
Tripod Mount for Smartphone – You can search out your specific phone to get one that works.
Blue Snowball Microphone – This is the microphone brand (I couldn’t find the exact one) that Mike uses for recording on Screencastify
Many of my students regularly watch tutorials on YouTube to learn things like how to advance in a video game or do a dance move, and they’re eager to make this type of video to share with their friends. Tutorials are a great way for students to show a deep understanding of a skill, practice, or concept. They not only know how to do something but can teach others how to do it. (https://www.edutopia.org/article/student-created-videos-classroom)
Digital Tools & Resources
Make anything talk — pets, friends, doodles, and more. Simply take any photo, draw a line to make a mouth, and record your voice. Then share your Pix with friends and family as silly greetings, playful messages, creative cards, fancy book reports, or retellings of learning about anything. And best of all, it’s FREE!
Students can use to explain their process in math, or expand upon a picture story they created. Simply take a picture of the child’s work or let them work it on the iPad or laptop, then record the student’s voice explaining process. Engage students with video to capture ideas, share instantly, replay anytime. Publish current Educreations video before beginning a new one (only one new project may be worked on at a time).
K-sketch is a “kinetic” sketch pad. Create animations in minutes.
iMovie lets you enjoy your videos and tell stories like never before. Browse your video library, share favorite moments, create beautiful movies, and watch them on all your devices in iMovie Theater. And with the iMovie extension, it’s fast and fun to make every video more memorable — right in the Photos app.
Both an app and a Google Play app on Chromebooks. It lets you create animated stories by selecting setting and characters, then using your voice to tell the story as you move the characters. Select Historical Films, Mysteries, Social Studies, School Reports, Documentaries, and more! Look fabulous.
Do Ink provides Creativity Apps -Green Screen by Do Ink and Animation and Drawing by Do Ink for students to show what they know in education.
DriveSlides allows you to create a Google Slides presentation out of images in a Google Drive folder. Simply open a folder in Google Drive that contains JPG, PNG or GIF images. Press the DriveSlides Chrome extension icon to open the Google Slides presentation with your images automatically added. The Slides are created in your Google Drive, within the same folder.
The interactive whiteboard platform where people collaborate, share, and learn without boundaries. Turn ideas into understanding with Explain Everything.
Clipchamp is an all-in-one video converter, video compressor, webcam video recorder, video editor and video uploader solution.
Creates slideshows from your photo content.
The go-to GoPro editor.
Free android video editor app
Annotate, explain and present anything easily and quickly with TouchCast Studio. Add webpages, files, images, videos… nearly anything! Then record or live stream* and share across the web.
Vizmato is an easy to use Movie maker, that let’s you add filters, themes, music, effects and text to make your videos super cool. Share these videos with your friends on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Whatsapp and other social media channels!
VideoPad Video Editor is a free video editor for everyday use. The program works with almost all popular formats and can be used to view graphic files. In addition, it has the ability to capture video from an external camera, and there is a large library of various graphic effects and transitions between frames. A lot of attention was paid by the developers and the tools for working with sound.
Easel by TpT™, a suite of digital tools designed for the modern, digitally-enabled classroom. Easel empowers educators to easily create custom, interactive digital activities from their own original materials or by adapting one of the teacher-created resources from TpT.*
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
- Digital: Apply what you learned today by designing a lesson, a student project or an assessment strategy involving the use of video.
- Social: Post to the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. It can be a comment, an answer to someone’s question, a resource, a picture of you and your students or a link to a completed project your students created.
- Spiritual: Be a resource to another teacher on your faculty by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
- Missional: Registration for the TEC21 Workshop Program for the 2021/2022 school is in full swing. Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Share with them the value of connecting with other teachers outside of your school building who are serving together in Lutheran education and the impact it’s having on you and your students. Thank you in advance for being an ambassador for TEC21 and supporting our vision and mission for the sake of the Gospel! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
Dismiss at 2:00pm