February 2021 Agenda—Las Vegas, Nevada
Begin at 9:00am
- To WiFi: Faith Guest WiFi: HeartofGod
- How to get to today’s agenda: If you can read this, you’re already there.
- To each other – Grab a breakfast item! Talk with your your fellow TEC21 participants and catch up.
- Fill in the prayer Padlet
1. The next workshop date is scheduled for Thursday, March 25th, 2021.
2. This summer, we will be preparing our TEC21 website for “Season 13” so we encourage you to bookmark the “Season 12” workshop agendas now so you have access to them in the future. Here’s the link – https://tec21connect.com/2020-2021-workshop-agendas/ Note: When we perform quarterly updates on our website’s theme, webpages and various plug-ins, we do not include all of the previous years’ agendas (webpages) in the process. This means that over time past agendas may start to look a little wonky, but the links and resources will still be accessible for you 🙂
4. Three graduate-level credits available through Concordia University, Nebraska:
How to Obtain 3 Graduate-level Credits Through Your TEC21 Experience
Will you be needing to renew your teaching license soon? Are you thinking about pursuing a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction? If you answered “yes” to either of these questions, we encourage you to consider applying to Concordia University, Nebraska, to receive three graduate-level credits for your TEC21 experience. There is no additional work that is required of you and the process is simple. The online application is now open and runs through May 15, 2021. Follow these four easy steps to apply:
First, select the “Apply Here” link to create an account.
Next, complete the fields in the form. Where it asks for Academic Level, select “Non-Degree Coursework”. Where it asks for Entry Term, select “Summer Semester 2021”. Where it asks for Academic Program, select “TEC21”. After completing the remaining fields, select “Create Account”.
Now, check your email for confirmation that your application came through successfully.
Lastly, select the link provided in the confirmation email to make your online payment in the amount of $240 ($80/credit hour) using a debit or credit card. That’s it! You’re done!
On June 1, transcripts will be available upon request. If you ever have questions regarding how these three graduate-level credits could be applied to a master’s degree program now or in the coming years (they are good for 5 years), contact Anna Boriack, Director of Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Innovation Specialist. She will be happy to help you. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Concordia University, Nebraska is a ministry partner of TEC21, so they may email you from time to time to share opportunities of how these credits could be applied toward graduate-level programs they offer.
Please note: The opportunity detailed above is optional. Additionally, all TEC21 participants will receive a certificate on the final workshop day stating 35 professional development hours have been completed through the TEC21 Workshop Program. How state board of education departments and the 35 LCMS districts recognize these 35 hours of professional development vary from state to state and district to district. (For example, see how the Kansas District of the LCMS Licensure Renewal has a distinct process in place for the teachers serving in this district.) So, be sure to contact your respective state’s board of education department or your LCMS district office if you have any questions on how to renew your certificate or license using your TEC21 experience!
Let’s take some time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. Share a success, a challenge you experienced or a lesson learned.
Before we start to share something we have done over the past month, take some time to add to your slides presentation for Celebration day. (Click here to find your presentation)
1. Discover the educational value of student-created video activities.
2. Explore video creation tools and resources to use with your students.
3. Design a student-centered project or assessment involving the use of video.
4. Be a resource to another teacher by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
Using Video in Education
More Screencasting Info…
Green Screen on the Ipad and other Tips
Tips to make a green screen video: How to Add Hollywood Special Effects to Your Videos
The Merge Cube lets you hold virtual 3D objects, enabling an entirely new way to learn and interact with the digital world.
5 Top Tips for Using Merge Cubes
- If you only have one MERGE Cube, consider connecting your mobile device to a projector so that a larger number of students can experience it at one time.
- If you have a few MERGE Cubes, try creating a AR station for your kids to work on as part of a blended classroom experience.
- Go hands-free. Not apps will work for this, but some teachers suspend their merge cubes in the air with fishing line to students can walk around them without holding them.
- Use screen recording on your device to get a record of students explaining what they learned on a particular topic using the MERGE Cube.
- The MERGE Educators Facebook group is a great way to connect with like minded teachers and keep up to date with the best ways to use MERGE Cubes in your classroom.
Bonus tip: Try before you buy with this paper version of the MERGE Cube.
SOURCE: Getting Started With MERGE Cubes 1/24/2019
Stop Motion Video
Flipping the Classroom
Video Lectures with main classtime as activity.
Salmon Khan TED Talk: Let’s Use Video to Reinvent Education
Check out Khan Academy for subject by grade level from K-12.
Interactive, engaging Pear Deck presentations stimulate discussion with formative assessment in real time. Google Slides Add-On. Create slides where students input short answers or numbers, explore websites, or answer multiple choice questions. Displays student responses anonymously. When you close the session it saves student responses in a spreadsheet. Let’s try it out! joinpd.com Works like Nearpod. Now try making your own Pear Deck using this tutorial.
Digital Tools & Resources
CleverBooks The CleverBooks app offers an innovative and exciting way for children aged 7 through 11 to learn geometry through visualization and interaction. The program is easily launched on an iOS or Android tablet or mobile phone. Accompanied by a collection of flashcards and printouts, the app lets children interact with 2D and 3D geometric shapes from all angles. They can see sides of 3D shapes unfold into 2D shapes, check main properties of 3D shapes, and explore variations of 2D shapes. CleverBooks Geometry, Space and Geography Apps are free to download. Your investment is only in the physical products from CleverBooks, please see the full product range.
Enhance read-aloud experiences with Novel Effect. Choose a book from the 500+ in the app (some free, some require app purchase), and experience the magic of sound effects, timed appropriately with the reader’s voice. The app intuitively accounts for student interruptions and teacher discussions, pausing until the teacher begins reading once again.
Educreations: Film remote digital lessons for students using Educreations. Especially great for mathematics lessons. Students can also use this to explain their process in math, or expand upon a picture story they created. Simply take a picture of the child’s work or let them work it on the iPad or laptop, then record the student’s voice explaining the process. Engage students with video to capture ideas, share instantly, replay anytime. Free version offers much of what a teacher will need. Paid version gives more storage options.
Adobe Spark is an online and mobile design app. Easily create stunning social graphics, short videos, and web pages. The free version has some controls in place, but not so limiting that graphic design novices will be hampered much. Check out Adobe Spark for Education which claims to offer premium service to classrooms for free. Useful for students to create projects, as well as teachers to create classroom displays and more!
Ready-to-run K-12 lessons delivered through an award-winning interactive learning platform. Create your own interactive presentations by importing a Powerpoint or Google Slide deck into Nearpod and adding polls, questions, etc.
Math Pickle provides beautiful activities for math classrooms. The emphasis on elegant graphical design and solid mathematics makes everything here a pleasure. Games, strategic activities, and mini-competition modes included, all organized by grade level or by subject.
CommonLit is a great FREE website that allows teachers to assign grade level passages (3-12) to students, test them on their comprehension with the given questions, and then track their data to see how they perform. It includes both literary and nonfiction passages, which can be selected by theme, literary device, topic, genre, grade level, and more. There are even offerings in Spanish.
The Curious George STEM Collection contains a variety of hands-on lesson plans teaching STEM concepts through Curious George videos. Concepts taught include simple machines, measurement, sorting, and more. Each lesson begins by watching a video, then using the concepts presented in the video to participate in a variety of learning activities. In addition to the complete lesson, each activity also includes a variety of additional resources for extending learning. Lessons align to National and Next Generation Science Standards.
In Read to Lead, a game-based learning platform, students are the boss in a community that needs help. Perhaps they are a Medical Director, or in charge of a Community Center. Maybe they run the local newspaper. Students must read, think, and decide on the best course of action to help the community in need. The program is designed for students in grades 5–9, with all lessons aligned to both Common Core and College and Career Readiness Standards. The three modules in Read to Lead engage students in exploring public service, medical, and journalism careers, with differentiation tools to support students with special needs.
Carmen Sandiego is on a new mission: traveling the world to help the next generation of global citizens build valuable social–emotional skills. Students can journey with Carmen in Houghton Mifflin Harcourt’s new web series, Fearless Kids Around the World, and meet young heroes working to do good with bravery, resilience, and kindness.
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
- Digital: Apply what you learned today by designing a lesson, a student project or an assessment strategy involving the use of video.
- Social: Post to the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. It can be a comment, an answer to someone’s question, a resource, a picture of you and your students or a link to a completed project your students created.
- Spiritual: Be a resource to another teacher on your faculty by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
- Missional: Registration for the TEC21 Workshop Program for the 2021/2022 school is in full swing. Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Share with them the value of connecting with other teachers outside of your school building who are serving together in Lutheran education and the impact it’s having on you and your students. Thank you in advance for being an ambassador for TEC21 and supporting our vision and mission for the sake of the Gospel! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
Dismiss at 2:00pm