February 2021 Agenda—Fort Wayne, Indiana (6-12 Cohort)
Begin at 9:00am
- To Wifi:
- Network: TEC21
- Password: **given out in class**
- How to get to today’s agenda: If you can read this, you’re already there.
- A Quick Note: Don’t forget to order your lunch!
1. The next workshop date is scheduled for Friday, March 26th, 2021.
2. If you have never gone to a technology conference or connected with an educator technology group/organization I would encourage a few of the following options
- Indiana Connected Educators (ICE)
- Note: Annual fall conference held near Indy.
- Note: This year, because of COVID-19 it was held virtually in July. Click on the link above to learn more about ICE and maybe set a goal to go to their annual conference within the next few years!
- Michigan Association of Computer User Learning (MACUL)
- Note: Upcoming Regional Conference in March! This year it is scheduled to take place March 17th-19th, 2021 in Detroit, MI. To learn more or to register click here. UPDATE: this conference will now be virtual. In my opinion, it has consistently been my favorite conference to attend. The workshops and keynotes are exceptional.
- International Society of Technology in Education (ISTE)
- Note: Annual International Conference Held Each Summer.
3. Don’t forget to place your lunch order: https://delivery.panerabread.com/ Lunch will take place around 11:45 AM. Plan to pick up lunch at Panera between 11:45 PM and Noon.
4. This summer, we will be preparing our TEC21 website for “Season 13” so we encourage you to bookmark the “Season 12” workshop agendas now so you have access to them in the future. Here’s the link – https://tec21connect.com/2020-2021-workshop-agendas/ Note: When we perform quarterly updates on our website’s theme, webpages and various plug-ins, we do not include all of the previous years’ agendas (webpages) in the process. This means that over time past agendas may start to look a little wonky, but the links and resources will still be accessible for you 🙂
5. Three graduate-level credits available through Concordia University, Nebraska:
How to Obtain 3 Graduate-level Credits Through Your TEC21 Experience
Will you be needing to renew your teaching license soon? Are you thinking about pursuing a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction? If you answered “yes” to either of these questions, we encourage you to consider applying to Concordia University, Nebraska, to receive three graduate-level credits for your TEC21 experience. There is no additional work that is required of you and the process is simple. The online application is now open and runs through May 15, 2021. Follow these four easy steps to apply:
First, select the “Apply Here” link to create an account.
Next, complete the fields in the form. Where it asks for Academic Level, select “Non-Degree Coursework”. Where it asks for Entry Term, select “Summer Semester 2021”. Where it asks for Academic Program, select “TEC21”. After completing the remaining fields, select “Create Account”.
Now, check your email for confirmation that your application came through successfully.
Lastly, select the link provided in the confirmation email to make your online payment in the amount of $240 ($80/credit hour) using a debit or credit card. That’s it! You’re done!
On June 1, transcripts will be available upon request. If you ever have questions regarding how these three graduate-level credits could be applied to a master’s degree program now or in the coming years (they are good for 5 years), contact Anna Boriack, Director of Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Innovation Specialist. She will be happy to help you. Her email address is email@example.com. Concordia University, Nebraska is a ministry partner of TEC21, so they may email you from time to time to share opportunities of how these credits could be applied toward graduate-level programs they offer.
Please note: The opportunity detailed above is optional. Additionally, all TEC21 participants will receive a certificate on the final workshop day stating 35 professional development hours have been completed through the TEC21 Workshop Program. How state board of education departments and the 35 LCMS districts recognize these 35 hours of professional development vary from state to state and district to district. (For example, see how the Kansas District of the LCMS Licensure Renewal has a distinct process in place for the teachers serving in this district.) So, be sure to contact your respective state’s board of education department or your LCMS district office if you have any questions on how to renew your certificate or license using your TEC21 experience!
Review / Show & Tell
- Let’s take some time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. Share a success, a challenge you experienced or a lesson learned.
- I had encouraged you in our pre-workshop email to bring a “Show & Tell”. I wanted each of us to bring one tool that we use (at least once) in our classroom that we really like!
1. Discover ways to improve communication with students, parents and colleagues using google add-ons and extensions.
2. Explore ways to organize information and how to present it so that it can function on many varied devices.
3. Design a google doc or google slides and implement at least two tools from today’s workshop.
4. Lastly, strive to serve another teacher by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
Today we will be working on lessons I developed inside of Google Classroom!
Today we will be exploring ways to improve communication using tools designed to work with Google Docs, Slides, Forms, Sheets, Chrome…etc. We will be looking at:
- Assigning Comments and Inserting Voice Comments
- Creating and Publishing Hyperdocks
- Document Notifications
- QR Code Generators
- Fancy Icons Work
- Voice Dictation
Digital Tools & Resources
Prezi allows you to create dynamic and interactive presentations. They’ve made a few updates in the past years and have added the opportunity to produce helpful presentations for remote learning as well. Check out the video on the educator’s page for more information. Prezi Present is also new and allows you to be in the video as you present your Prezi.
Sutori timelines allows you and your students to create collaborative timeline presentations. This student-centered approach to learning and demonstrating learning fosters students’ creativity, collaboration, communication, and critical thinking skills. Use templates or start from scratch. Check out the examples here to get ideas for how students could use this tool in your courses. Here is an example Sutori Timeline on the children’s novel Refugee including significant events happening in Berlin, Cuba, and Syria at the time of the writing. Notice the vertical timeline format.
Google Arts & Culture (formerly Google Art Project) is an online platform through which the public can access high-resolution images of artworks housed in the initiative’s partner museums. In this app/website you follow National Park Rangers on a remarkable journey in these 360-degree videos. Guides take viewers into the most interesting, yet unknown, places in six different park locations. Choose a park to begin your journey, then after a short introduction, explore locations dragging the mouse or cursor around to view these sites from every angle. As you explore, guides provide additional information on each location.
Do Ink provides Creativity Apps -Green Screen by Do Ink and Animation and Drawing by Do Ink for students to show what they know in education.
Explore.org is the world’s leading philanthropic live nature cam network and documentary film channel. From eaglets to piglets there are a lot of streams to view.
Learn with the Smithsonian through a variety of activities and games about art, history, and culture.
Hip Hughes from Hip Hughes History, a popular social studies video producer explains how to flip your classroom in this video. If you don’t want to flip your class, perhaps you can find some of his content useful.
Create authentic-looking text message conversations! Very easy to use and extremely detailed and customizable!
Discovery Puzzlemaker has been around since my days of teaching at St. Paul 8 years ago! It is basic but functional. This is a great resource if you are looking for ways to build paper worksheets, activities, or puzzles. Puzzlemaker allows you to paste in content or type it up as you go and then delivers it in a format you can print off for your students. My favorites include Criss-Cross Puzzle (a crossword puzzle maker) and Word Search Puzzle. There are other apps and websites out there that may have a few more bells & whistles, but Puzzlemaker gets the job done.
The name pretty much says it all. Bouncy Balls is a screen full of balls that bounce to the audio your microphone is picking up. It’s not necessarily directly useful for the classroom, but it does have a lot of fun appeal. You could try using it to keep the room at a specific decibel level or just have it running during a dance party!
Launched in 2007, IXL Math is a comprehensive pre-K through 12th grade math program. More than 4,000 topics cover foundational skills such as counting, addition and multiplication, as well as more rigorous subjects such as algebra, geometry, precalculus and calculus.
BigHugeLabs is a learner-centered online tool that allows students to create their own content through images and text. BigHugeLabs offers a variety of simple, easy-to-use image design tools, including trading cards, badge makers, map maker, mosaic maker, and jigsaws
ClassHook is a collaborative space that curates two- to six-minute video clips from popular television shows and movies, as well as partly developed mini-lessons to support instruction. Their team has curated thousands of educational video clips and made them suitable for classroom use so you can share them with your students. Using ClassHook, you can save hours of time each week searching for engaging content. All you need to know is a keyword or topic, and you’ll be able to find the perfect clip for your next lesson. The videos on ClassHook are age-appropriate, aligned to educational standards, and accompanied with questions and tools to facilitate discussions.
GIPHY is your top source for the best & newest GIFs & Animated Stickers online. Find everything from funny GIFs, reaction GIFs, unique GIFs and more. GIPHY is not just GIFs… there are Stickers, Arcade, Video, and much more. Every day, they are serving 10+ billion pieces of GIPHY content to a daily user reach of 700+ million people, helping them express themselves and make their everyday conversations more entertaining.
GoNoodle helps teachers and parents get kids moving with short interactive activities. Desk-side movement helps kids achieve more by keeping them engaged and motivated throughout the day.
GoNoodle is designed with K-5 classrooms in mind.
A great selection of free virtual labs for biology, chemistry, physics, ecology, cells, and more. You will find games, virtual labs, dissections, simulations, handouts, and much more. Check out PhET Interactive Simulations.
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
- Digital: Apply what you learned today by designing a lesson, a student project or an assessment strategy involving the use of video.
- Social: Post to the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. It can be a comment, an answer to someone’s question, a resource, a picture of you and your students or a link to a completed project your students created.
- Spiritual: Be a resource to another teacher on your faculty by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
- Missional: Registration for the TEC21 Workshop Program for the 2021/2022 school is in full swing. Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Share with them the value of connecting with other teachers outside of your school building who are serving together in Lutheran education and the impact it’s having on you and your students. Thank you in advance for being an ambassador for TEC21 and supporting our vision and mission for the sake of the Gospel! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
Dismiss at 2:00pm