February 2021 Agenda—Burnsville, Minnesota
Begin at 9:00am
- To WiFi: The Minnesota South District Office has a guest internet access. The SSID or Name is case sensitive: MNS-Guest . The Password or Security Key is also case sensitive: WelcomeMNS . Please note – there are no spaces in the login information.
- How to get to today’s agenda: If you can read this, you’re already there.
- To each other – Grab a breakfast item! Meet your fellow TEC21 participants!
This is a Backchannel: TEC21 Backchannel
Use it to do the following:
1. List some of the notable historical events of the last 100 years.
2. Does one stand out as having impacted you more than others?
Also..make a diamante! Diamante Poem
1. The next workshop date is scheduled for Thursday, March 25th.
3. This summer, we will be preparing our TEC21 website for “Season 13” so we encourage you to bookmark the “Season 12” workshop agendas now so you have access to them in the future. Here’s the link – https://tec21connect.com/2020-2021-workshop-agendas/ Note: When we perform quarterly updates on our website’s theme, webpages and various plug-ins, we do not include all of the previous years’ agendas (webpages) in the process. This means that over time past agendas may start to look a little wonky, but the links and resources will still be accessible for you 🙂
4. Three graduate-level credits available through Concordia University, Nebraska:
How to Obtain 3 Graduate-level Credits Through Your TEC21 Experience
Will you be needing to renew your teaching license soon? Are you thinking about pursuing a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction? If you answered “yes” to either of these questions, we encourage you to consider applying to Concordia University, Nebraska, to receive three graduate-level credits for your TEC21 experience. There is no additional work that is required of you and the process is simple. The online application is now open and runs through May 15, 2021. Follow these four easy steps to apply:
First, select the “Apply Here” link to create an account.
Next, complete the fields in the form. Where it asks for Academic Level, select “Non-Degree Coursework”. Where it asks for Entry Term, select “Summer Semester 2021”. Where it asks for Academic Program, select “TEC21”. After completing the remaining fields, select “Create Account”.
Now, check your email for confirmation that your application came through successfully.
Lastly, select the link provided in the confirmation email to make your online payment in the amount of $240 ($80/credit hour) using a debit or credit card. That’s it! You’re done!
On June 1, transcripts will be available upon request. If you ever have questions regarding how these three graduate-level credits could be applied to a master’s degree program now or in the coming years (they are good for 5 years), contact Anna Boriack, Director of Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Innovation Specialist. She will be happy to help you. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Concordia University, Nebraska is a ministry partner of TEC21, so they may email you from time to time to share opportunities of how these credits could be applied toward graduate-level programs they offer.
Please note: The opportunity detailed above is optional. Additionally, all TEC21 participants will receive a certificate on the final workshop day stating 35 professional development hours have been completed through the TEC21 Workshop Program. How state board of education departments and the 35 LCMS districts recognize these 35 hours of professional development vary from state to state and district to district. (For example, see how the Kansas District of the LCMS Licensure Renewal has a distinct process in place for the teachers serving in this district.) So, be sure to contact your respective state’s board of education department or your LCMS district office if you have any questions on how to renew your certificate or license using your TEC21 experience!
Let’s take some time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. Share a success, a challenge you experienced or a lesson learned.
1. Discover the educational value of student-created video activities.
2. Explore video creation tools and resources to use with your students.
3. Design a student-centered project or assessment involving the use of video.
4. Be a resource to another teacher by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
1. Salmon Khan TED Talk Let’s Use Video to Reinvent Education
a. Check out Khan Academy for subject by grade level from K-12.
A Bunch of Video Resources
Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality
Digital Tools & Resources
Educreations is a simple tool to use! Change backgrounds, write while you talk, capture images and voice. Students can use to explain their process in math, or expand upon a picture story they created. Simply take a picture of the child’s work or let them work it on the iPad or laptop, then record the student’s voice explaining process. Engage students with video to capture ideas, share instantly, replay anytime. Publish current Educreations video before beginning a new one (only one new project may be worked on at a time). Here is a sample made by my daughter, Jaden, using Educreations. She was about 5 when she made this video about a cow. Keep it short, less than 4 minutes for teaching and 1 minute for students demonstrating learning, and it doesn’t have to be perfect.
Toontastic 3D is both an app and a Google Play app on Chromebooks. It lets you create animated stories by selecting setting and characters, then using your voice to tell the story as you move the characters. Select Historical Films, Mysteries, Social Studies, School Reports, Documentaries, and more! Look fabulous.
Enjoy cute filters, stickers and more! Snap and share a live video recording or a selfie with your friends instantly. YouCam Fun uses powerful augmented reality technology to create a fun real-time experience. Try hundreds of awesome effects at your fingertips right now!
How do you motivate and engage students when they are not sitting in your classroom? Letting them explain and create in Augmented Reality reaches students where their passions are. Engage students to motivate them and enhance perseverance, and let them create to develop their own mastery.
Start your remote teaching with AR by downloading the 3DBear app and discover inspiring learning content for your students!
Create authentic-looking text message conversations! Very easy to use and extremely detailed and customizable!
MIT App Inventor is an intuitive, visual programming environment that allows everyone – even children – to build fully functional apps for smartphones and tablets. Those new to MIT App Inventor can have a simple first app up and running in less than 30 minutes. And what’s more, our blocks-based tool facilitates the creation of complex, high-impact apps in significantly less time than traditional programming environments. The MIT App Inventor project seeks to democratize software development by empowering all people, especially young people, to move from technology consumption to technology creation.
This is a free mobile video editor available on Android or iOS.
One click to create stunning videos from your pictures, set to the music you love. There is also a VIRTUAL REALITY option for your own media!
This is another easy-to-use online/app video editor!
Using Video to learn history. Explore the battlegrounds of history at this digital location. Watch the map come alive following a timeline of events in this 360 video. With links to other battle interactive maps.
Discover one of the most exciting and fun ways to express yourself through art. The complicated process of producing cartoons just became an easy task. The app takes care of every aspect of creating cartoons, from drawing characters to publishing.
This app has tutorials and apps to help with animations!
PicsArt is the #1 photo editor and pic collage maker on mobile. Download PicsArt and enjoy our tools, effects, collage maker, camera, free clipart library, millions of user-created stickers and our drawing tools. PicsArt’s all about making awesome pictures and having fun by remixing free-to-edit pictures into awesome collages and memes.
FlipaClip makes you relive your childhood and express your creativeness or professional skills in a much cooler way!
Draw your cartoon using frame-by-frame animation. It works just like the old school flipbook but with a modern twist!
Whether you are sketching, storyboarding, animating, or simply playing around FlipaClip offers intuitive tools and is the perfect platform for your creative ideas.
Anitales – Read Story & Make Story is a unique and exciting free cartoon story maker (cartoon video creator), which encourages kids to create animated story by using their imagination and improve their creative writing skills.
Turn your tablet into your personal interactive whiteboard!
ShowMe allows you to record voice-over whiteboard tutorials and share them online. It’s an amazingly simple app that anyone can use, no matter how young or old!
Lensoo Create turns your iPad or Android tablet into a virtual whiteboard with voice recording and smooth digital writing. Using Lensoo Create you can quickly share your ideas through email, Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn from virtually anywhere. Whether you are a teacher looking to instill knowledge, a student wishing to present your ideas or simply a person with an impressive skill to share, Lensoo Create is for you.
Games, mind, strategic activities, competition mode organized by grade level.
Try in your math center to teach fractions, money, geometric shapes, math vocabulary and much more! This site offers each of these free apps as web apps, Apple apps, and Chrome apps! Click on the site and start trying these tools out! Note that you need to provide problems and feedback to students to facilitate their learning.
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
- Digital: Apply what you learned today by designing a lesson, a student project or an assessment strategy involving the use of video.
- Social: Post to the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. It can be a comment, an answer to someone’s question, a resource, a picture of you and your students or a link to a completed project your students created.
- Spiritual: Be a resource to another teacher on your faculty by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
- Missional: Registration for the TEC21 Workshop Program for the 2021/2022 school is in full swing. Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Share with them the value of connecting with other teachers outside of your school building who are serving together in Lutheran education and the impact it’s having on you and your students. Thank you in advance for being an ambassador for TEC21 and supporting our vision and mission for the sake of the Gospel! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
Dismiss at 2:00pm