February 2020 Agenda—Seward, Nebraska (EC-12 Cohort)
Begin at 9:00am
- To Wifi: Concordia NonSecure Code: TEC21Workshop
- How to get to today’s agenda:
- To each other – 1. Share a National Lutheran Schools Week highlight with another TEC21 teacher. 2. Think of someone in your school or another Lutheran school that you could encourage to participate in TEC21 next year. Practice your elevator speech.
- Lunch in the Doghouse Grill. Submit your lunch order before we begin so I can forward it to the Grill. Meals will be ready when we go to lunch at 11:30. Click here for the link:
- LUNCH ORDER
1. The next workshop date is scheduled for Thursday, April 2, 2020 (9 A.M. to 2 P.M.)
2. The spring NETA conference is March 26-27 in Omaha. The details are available on the website: http://netasite.org/
3. The Google Summit is July 16-17, 2020 in Lincoln. Registration opens February 14. The link is http://gpsummit.org/.
4. The ISTE conference is in Anaheim, California. The dates are June 28-July 1. The link is https://conference.iste.org/2020/
Let’s take some time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. Share a success, a challenge you experienced or a lesson learned.
1. Engage your students in a collaborative learning activity to enrich a lesson or unit. You might even consider teaming with another teacher on your faculty or one from anywhere around the world.
2. Post to the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. It can be a comment, an answer to someone’s question, a resource, or a picture of you and your students engaging in a collaborative learning activity.
3. Be a resource for one of your colleagues at your school by sharing a digital tool, a teaching strategy, or learning activity.
4. Registration for the TEC21 Workshop Program for the 2020/2021 school year opened on January 2, 2020. Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Share with them the value of connecting with other teachers serving in Lutheran schools and the impact it’s having on you and your students. Thank you for supporting our mission and vision and being an ambassador for TEC21! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
1. Discover the educational value of student-created video activities.
2. Explore video creation tools and resources to use with your students.
3. Design a student-centered project or assessment involving the use of video.
4. Be a resource to another teacher by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
Stop Motion Video
Digital Citizenship Integration
What aspects of digital citizenship need to be addressed when integrating video creation in the classroom?
- Internet Safety
- Privacy & Security
- Relationships & Communication
- Digital Footprint & Reputation
- Self-image & Identity
- Information Literacy
- Creative Credit & Copyright
TEC21 provides the opportunity for educators to explore technology tools and implement those into a meaningful project that enhances their current pedagogy and content. This gives educators the opportunity to make choices based on their interests and adapt those to benefit students. This concept is a natural pairing with Genius Hour.
Genius Hour Unit 4: Learn and Explore
Follow your plan for your project. Answer any questions you may have through personal research or by asking a colleague. Investigate and explore your options. Begin with those first few steps as a guide for development. Be sure to record your roadblocks and resolutions as well as your golden moments in the process.
- “What is Genius Hour?” (Genius Hour)
- How to Build Community Leaders of Today – And Tomorrow – Through Genius Hour (EdSurge, 2017)
- Genius Hour in Elementary School (Edutopia, 2017)
- Tips and Tricks to Keep Kids on Track During Genius Hour (MindShift, 2017)
- Inspire Drive, Creativity in the Classroom with 20-Time (20-Time in Education)
- 20-Time Projects in Education: 41 Projects in 4 Minutes (YouTube, 2014)
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
Digital Tools & Resources
Adobe Spark Video is a free web tool or app that allows you to combine videos, pictures, text, and provided icons with music and audio to create a video. Here is a tutorial video to explain how. Only one component per slide. Automatically includes a list of references for images selected. Students can create these quite quickly and add their voice to tell about what they learned. (app & website)
Toontastic is both an app for iOS and a Google Play app on Chromebooks. It lets you create animated stories by selecting setting and characters, then using your voice to tell the story as you move the characters. Select Historical Films, Mysteries, Social Studies, School Reports, Documentaries, and more!
ChatterPix Kids. Make anything talk — pets, friends, doodles, and more. Simply take any photo, draw a line to make a mouth, and record your voice to make a video. Then share your Pix with friends and family as silly greetings, playful messages, creative cards, fancy book reports, or retellings of learning about anything. And best of all, it’s FREE!
Google Expeditions gives you access to many online field trips. Google Expeditions is an immersive learning and teaching tool that lets you go on VR trips or explore AR objects. Explore historical landmarks, go down to the atomic level, get up close with sharks, even visit outer space! Some instructions for using this experience if you click HERE.
Check out this YouTube 360 channel to pan around Mars or other topics! Search a topic to add to your classroom content.
YouTube channel of Bible Story videos on many Bible stories. Check it out!
|Vizmato is an easy to use Movie maker for iOS that lets you add filters, themes, music, effects, and text to make your videos super cool. Share these videos with your friends on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Whatsapp and other social media channels!|
|Make videos in minutes with Powtoon. Use our library of styles, characters, backgrounds and video, or upload your own! Free. Easy. Awesome.|
|Free android video editor app available from the Google Play store|
The interactive whiteboard platform where people collaborate, share, and learn without boundaries. Turn ideas into understanding with Explain Everything.
Games, mind, strategic activities, competition mode organized by grade level
Try in your math center to teach fractions, money, geometric shapes, math vocabulary and much more! This site offers each of these free apps as web apps, Apple apps, and Chrome apps! Click on the site and start trying these tools out! Note that you need to provide problems and feedback to students to facilitate their learning.
How to Obtain 3 Graduate-level Credits Through Your TEC21 Experience
Will you be needing to renew your teaching license soon? Are you wanting to advance a step on your school’s salary schedule? Are you thinking about pursuing a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, consider applying to Concordia University, Nebraska, to receive three graduate-level credits for your TEC21 experience. There is no additional work that is required of you and the process is simple. The online application is open now and runs through May 1, 2020. Follow these four short steps to apply:
- First, select the “Apply Here” link below to create an account.
- Next, complete the fields. Where it asks for Academic Level, select “Non-Degree Coursework”. Where it asks for Entry Term, select “Summer Semester 2020”. After completing the remaining fields, select “Create Account”.
- Now, check your email for confirmation that your application came through successfully.
- Lastly, select the link provided in the confirmation email to make your online payment in the amount of $240 ($80/credit hour) using a debit or credit card.
- That’s it! You’re done!
On June 1, transcripts will be available upon request. If you ever have questions regarding how these three graduate-level credits could be applied to a master’s degree program in the coming years, contact Anna Boriack, Director of Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Innovation Specialist. She will be happy to help you. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Concordia University, Nebraska is a ministry partner of TEC21, so they may email you from time to time to share opportunities of how these credits could be applied toward graduate-level programs they offer.
Please note: The opportunity detailed above is optional. Additionally, all TEC21 participants will receive a certificate on the final workshop day stating 35 professional development hours have been completed through the TEC21 Workshop Program. How state board of education departments and the 35 LCMS districts recognize these 35 hours of professional development vary from state to state and district to district. (For example, see how the Kansas District’s (of the LCMS) Licensure Renewal has a distinct process in place for the teachers serving in this district.) So, be sure to contact your respective state’s board of education department or your LCMS district office if you have any questions on how to renew your certificate or license using your TEC21 experience!
1. Apply what you learned today by designing a lesson, a student project or an assessment strategy involving the use of video.
2. Post to the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. It can be a comment, an answer to someone’s question, a resource, a picture of you and your students or a link to a completed project your students created.
3. Be a resource to another teacher on your faculty by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
4. Registration for the TEC21 Workshop Program for the 2020/2021 school year opened on January 2, 2020. Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Share with them the value of connecting with other teachers serving in Lutheran schools and the impact it’s having on you and your students. Thank you in advance for being an ambassador for TEC21 and supporting our vision and mission for the sake of the Gospel! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
Dismiss at 2:00pm
My Contact Info