February 2020 Agenda—Roseville, Minnesota
Begin at 9:00am
Welcome to February’s TEC21 Session!
- To WiFi: 6514849206
- How to get to today’s agenda: This IS today’s agenda!
- To each other – Grab a breakfast item! Meet your fellow TEC21 participants!
This is a Backchannel: TEC21 Backchannel
Use it to do the following:
1. List some of the notable historical events of the last 100 years.
2. Does one stand out as having impacted you more than others?
Also..make a diamante! Diamante Poem
1. Upcoming events:
- The next workshop date is scheduled for Thursday, April 2nd, 2020!
How to Obtain 3 Graduate-level Credits Through Your TEC21 Experience
Will you be needing to renew your teaching license soon? Are you wanting to advance a step on your school’s salary schedule? Are you thinking about pursuing a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, consider applying to Concordia University, Nebraska, to receive three graduate-level credits for your TEC21 experience. There is no additional work that is required of you and the process is simple. The online application is open now and runs through May 1, 2020. Follow these four short steps to apply:
- First, select the “Apply Here” link below to create an account.
- Next, complete the fields. Where it asks for Academic Level, select “Non-Degree Coursework”. Where it asks for Entry Term, select “Summer Semester 2020”. After completing the remaining fields, select “Create Account”.
- Now, check your email for confirmation that your application came through successfully.
- Lastly, select the link provided in the confirmation email to make your online payment in the amount of $240 ($80/credit hour) using a debit or credit card.
- That’s it! You’re done!
On June 1, transcripts will be available upon request. If you ever have questions regarding how these three graduate-level credits could be applied to a master’s degree program in the coming years, contact Anna Boriack, Director of Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Innovation Specialist. She will be happy to help you. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Concordia University, Nebraska is a ministry partner of TEC21, so they may email you from time to time to share opportunities of how these credits could be applied toward graduate-level programs they offer.
Please note: The opportunity detailed above is optional. Additionally, all TEC21 participants will receive a certificate on the final workshop day stating 35 professional development hours have been completed through the TEC21 Workshop Program. How state board of education departments and the 35 LCMS districts recognize these 35 hours of professional development vary from state to state and district to district. (For example, see how the Kansas District’s (of the LCMS) Licensure Renewal has a distinct process in place for the teachers serving in this district.) So, be sure to contact your respective state’s board of education department or your LCMS district office if you have any questions on how to renew your certificate or license using your TEC21 experience!
Let’s take some time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. Share a success, a challenge you experienced or a lesson learned.
1. Discover the educational value of student-created video activities.
2. Explore video creation tools and resources to use with your students.
3. Design a student-centered project or assessment involving the use of video.
4. Be a resource to another teacher by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
1. Salmon Khan TED Talk Let’s Use Video to Reinvent Education
a. Check out Khan Academy for subject by grade level from K-12.
A Bunch of Video Resources
Adobe Spark Video allows you to combine videos, pictures, text, and provided icons with music and audio to create a video. Here is a tutorial video to explain how. Only one component per slide. Automatically includes a list of references for images selected. Students can create these quite quickly and add their voice to tell about what they learned.
Interactive, engaging Pear Deck presentations stimulate discussion with formative assessment in real time. Google Slides Add-On. Create slides where students input short answers or numbers, explore websites, or answer multiple choice questions. Displays student responses anonymously. When you close the session it saves student responses in a spreadsheet. Let’s try it out! joinpd.com Works like Nearpod. Now try making your own Pear Deck using this tutorial.
Digital Citizenship Integration
What aspects of digital citizenship need to be addressed when integrating video creation in the classroom?
- Internet Safety
- Privacy & Security
- Relationships & Communication
- Digital Footprint & Reputation
- Self-image & Identity
- Information Literacy
- Creative Credit & Copyright
TEC21 provides the opportunity for educators to explore technology tools and implement those into a meaningful project that enhances their current pedagogy and content. This gives educators the opportunity to make choices based on their interests and adapt those to benefit students. This concept is a natural pairing with Genius Hour.
Genius Hour Unit 4: Learn and Explore
Follow your plan for your project. Answer any questions you may have through personal research or by asking a colleague. Investigate and explore your options. Begin with those first few steps as a guide for development. Be sure to record your roadblocks and resolutions as well as your golden moments in the process.
- “What is Genius Hour?” (Genius Hour)
- How to Build Community Leaders of Today – And Tomorrow – Through Genius Hour (EdSurge, 2017)
- Genius Hour in Elementary School (Edutopia, 2017)
- Tips and Tricks to Keep Kids on Track During Genius Hour (MindShift, 2017)
- Inspire Drive, Creativity in the Classroom with 20-Time (20-Time in Education)
- 20-Time Projects in Education: 41 Projects in 4 Minutes (YouTube, 2014)
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
Digital Tools & Resources
Educreations is a simple tool to use! Change backgrounds, write while you talk, capture images and voice. Students can use to explain their process in math, or expand upon a picture story they created. Simply take a picture of the child’s work or let them work it on the iPad or laptop, then record the student’s voice explaining process. Engage students with video to capture ideas, share instantly, replay anytime. Publish current Educreations video before beginning a new one (only one new project may be worked on at a time). Here is a sample made by my daughter, Jaden, using Educreations. She was about 5 when she made this video about a cow. Keep it short, less than 4 minutes for teaching and 1 minute for students demonstrating learning, and it doesn’t have to be perfect.
Toontastic 3D is both an app and a Google Play app on Chromebooks. It lets you create animated stories by selecting setting and characters, then using your voice to tell the story as you move the characters. Select Historical Films, Mysteries, Social Studies, School Reports, Documentaries, and more! Look fabulous.
MSQRD (Masquerade) is automatic selfie video recording app where your students can put on a mask and tell a story as a character. When they are finished it will save to photos where you can export it to Seesaw, Google Drive, any place you can share photos! And it’s so fun! Try it out.
Goose Chase is the easiest way to organize and run a scavenger hunt. Participants can search for videos, images, text, or GPS locations!
Create authentic-looking text message conversations! Very easy to use and extremely detailed and customizable!
MIT App Inventor is an intuitive, visual programming environment that allows everyone – even children – to build fully functional apps for smartphones and tablets. Those new to MIT App Inventor can have a simple first app up and running in less than 30 minutes. And what’s more, our blocks-based tool facilitates the creation of complex, high-impact apps in significantly less time than traditional programming environments. The MIT App Inventor project seeks to democratize software development by empowering all people, especially young people, to move from technology consumption to technology creation.
This is a free mobile video editor available on Android or iOS.
One click to create stunning videos from your pictures, set to the music you love. There is also a VIRTUAL REALITY option for your own media!
This is another easy-to-use online/app video editor!
Using Video to learn history. Explore the battlegrounds of history at this digital location. Watch the map come alive following a timeline of events in this 360 video. With links to other battle interactive maps.
Discover one of the most exciting and fun ways to express yourself through art. The complicated process of producing cartoons just became an easy task. The app takes care of every aspect of creating cartoons, from drawing characters to publishing.
This app has tutorials and apps to help with animations!
PicsArt is the #1 photo editor and pic collage maker on mobile. Download PicsArt and enjoy our tools, effects, collage maker, camera, free clipart library, millions of user-created stickers and our drawing tools. PicsArt’s all about making awesome pictures and having fun by remixing free-to-edit pictures into awesome collages and memes.
FlipaClip makes you relive your childhood and express your creativeness or professional skills in a much cooler way!
Draw your cartoon using frame-by-frame animation. It works just like the old school flipbook but with a modern twist!
Whether you are sketching, storyboarding, animating, or simply playing around FlipaClip offers intuitive tools and is the perfect platform for your creative ideas.
Anitales – Read Story & Make Story is a unique and exciting free cartoon story maker (cartoon video creator), which encourages kids to create animated story by using their imagination and improve their creative writing skills.
Turn your tablet into your personal interactive whiteboard!
ShowMe allows you to record voice-over whiteboard tutorials and share them online. It’s an amazingly simple app that anyone can use, no matter how young or old!
Lensoo Create turns your iPad or Android tablet into a virtual whiteboard with voice recording and smooth digital writing. Using Lensoo Create you can quickly share your ideas through email, Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn from virtually anywhere. Whether you are a teacher looking to instill knowledge, a student wishing to present your ideas or simply a person with an impressive skill to share, Lensoo Create is for you.
Games, mind, strategic activities, competition mode organized by grade level.
Try in your math center to teach fractions, money, geometric shapes, math vocabulary and much more! This site offers each of these free apps as web apps, Apple apps, and Chrome apps! Click on the site and start trying these tools out! Note that you need to provide problems and feedback to students to facilitate their learning.
1. Apply what you learned today by designing a lesson, a student project or an assessment strategy involving the use of video.
2. Post to the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. It can be a comment, an answer to someone’s question, a resource, a picture of you and your students or a link to a completed project your students created.
3. Be a resource to another teacher on your faculty by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
4. Registration for the TEC21 Workshop Program for the 2020/2021 school year opened on January 2, 2020. Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Share with them the value of connecting with other teachers serving in Lutheran schools and the impact it’s having on you and your students. Thank you in advance for being an ambassador for TEC21 and supporting our vision and mission for the sake of the Gospel! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
Dismiss at 2:00pm