February 2020 Agenda—Rockford, Illinois
Begin at 9:00am
“But I have raised you up for this very purpose, that I might show you my power and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth” (Exodus 9:16).
Philippians 2:11 “And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.”
The Lord and His purposes are perfect, but we are not. We are assailed by doubts and fears that many times keep us from living out the purposes that He has established for us. However, we can overcome this by consistently reading and studying His word so that our faith will be made stronger day by day.
1. The next workshop date is scheduled for Thursday, April 2nd.
How to Obtain 3 Graduate-level Credits Through Your TEC21 Experience
Will you be needing to renew your teaching license soon? Are you wanting to advance a step on your school’s salary schedule? Are you thinking about pursuing a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, consider applying to Concordia University, Nebraska, to receive three graduate-level credits for your TEC21 experience. There is no additional work that is required of you and the process is simple. The online application is open now and runs through May 1, 2020. Follow these four short steps to apply:
- First, select the “Apply Here” link below to create an account.
- Next, complete the fields. Where it asks for Academic Level, select “Non-Degree Coursework”. Where it asks for Entry Term, select “Summer Semester 2020”. After completing the remaining fields, select “Create Account”.
- Now, check your email for confirmation that your application came through successfully.
- Lastly, select the link provided in the confirmation email to make your online payment in the amount of $240 ($80/credit hour) using a debit or credit card.
- That’s it! You’re done!
On June 1, transcripts will be available upon request. If you ever have questions regarding how these three graduate-level credits could be applied to a master’s degree program in the coming years, contact Anna Boriack, Director of Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Innovation Specialist. She will be happy to help you. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Concordia University, Nebraska is a ministry partner of TEC21, so they may email you from time to time to share opportunities of how these credits could be applied toward graduate-level programs they offer.
Please note: The opportunity detailed above is optional. Additionally, all TEC21 participants will receive a certificate on the final workshop day stating 35 professional development hours have been completed through the TEC21 Workshop Program. How state board of education departments and the 35 LCMS districts recognize these 35 hours of professional development vary from state to state and district to district. (For example, see how the Kansas District’s (of the LCMS) Licensure Renewal has a distinct process in place for the teachers serving in this district.) So, be sure to contact your respective state’s board of education department or your LCMS district office if you have any questions on how to renew your certificate or license using your TEC21 experience!
Let’s take some time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. Share a success, a challenge you experienced or a lesson learned.
1. Discover the educational value of student-created video activities.
2. Explore video creation tools and resources to use with your students.
3. Design a student-centered project or assessment involving the use of video.
4. Be a resource to another teacher by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
Do Ink – Some great student projects. Film them in front of a green screen, then insert any picture that they can tell what they learned about it: historical location, weather map, diagram of human body, etc.
Touch Cast – Create a newscast or other video with video apps you can bring in: websites, pictures, calendar, Twitter, maps, etc.
Augmented Reality vs. Virtual Reality
Flipping Your Classroom
Digital Citizenship Integration
What aspects of digital citizenship need to be addressed when integrating video creation in the classroom?
- Internet Safety
- Privacy & Security
- Relationships & Communication
- Digital Footprint & Reputation
- Self-image & Identity
- Information Literacy
- Creative Credit & Copyright
TEC21 provides the opportunity for educators to explore technology tools and implement those into a meaningful project that enhances their current pedagogy and content. This gives educators the opportunity to make choices based on their interests and adapt those to benefit students. This concept is a natural pairing with Genius Hour.
Genius Hour Unit 4: Learn and Explore
Follow your plan for your project. Answer any questions you may have through personal research or by asking a colleague. Investigate and explore your options. Begin with those first few steps as a guide for development. Be sure to record your roadblocks and resolutions as well as your golden moments in the process.
“What is Genius Hour?” (Genius Hour)
Genius Hour in Elementary School (Edutopia, 2017)
Tips and Tricks to Keep Kids on Track During Genius Hour (MindShift, 2017)
Inspire Drive, Creativity in the Classroom with 20-Time (20-Time in Education)
20-Time Projects in Education: 41 Projects in 4 Minutes (YouTube, 2014)
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
Digital Tools & Resources
WeVideo is probably one of the most popular web apps available for free. The reason behind is that it’s user-friendly, has an intuitive interface, and packed with a number of great features. It has three editing views, namely: Timeline Simple, Timeline Advanced, and Storyboard. Furthermore, aside from your own media files, you can also access WeVideo’s database that’s filled with audio, graphics, and complete themes that are available for download.
Chrome, Android, iOS
Interactive, engaging Pear Deck presentations stimulate discussion with formative assessment in real time. Google Slides Add-On. Create slides where students input short answers or numbers, explore websites, or answer multiple choice questions. Displays student responses anonymously. When you close the session it saves student responses in a spreadsheet.
Let’s try it out! joinpd.com
Have Chromebooks? Check this list of best video tools for use on Chromebooks. WeVideo is the top recommended video app for Chromebook, paid premium version gives you Green Screen capabilities and templates. Check it out!
Simply sketch a character, then select the character and move it across the screen. It automatically records as an animation movie.
Chrome, Android, iOS, Web
Royalty free images.
MSQRD (Masquerade) is automatic selfie video recording app where your students can put on a mask and tell a story as a character. When they are finished it will save to photos where you can export it to Seesaw, Google Drive, any place you can share photos! And it’s so fun! Try it out.
Chrome, Android, iOS
Superbook is an amazing online Bible that reads the whole Bible to students, features quality videos of stories, games to learn and go beyond, and questions and answers to help students develop in the faith.
Chrome, Android, iOS, Website
YouTube channel of Bible Story videos on many Bible stories. Check it out!
Using Video to learn history. Explore the battlegrounds of history at this digital location. Watch the map come alive following a timeline of events in this 360 video. With links to other battle interactive maps.
Games, mind, strategic activities, competition mode organized by grade level
1. Apply what you learned today by designing a lesson, a student project or an assessment strategy involving the use of video.
2. Post to the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. It can be a comment, an answer to someone’s question, a resource, a picture of you and your students or a link to a completed project your students created.
3. Be a resource to another teacher on your faculty by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
4. Registration for the TEC21 Workshop Program for the 2020/2021 school year opened on January 2, 2020. Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Share with them the value of connecting with other teachers serving in Lutheran schools and the impact it’s having on you and your students. Thank you in advance for being an ambassador for TEC21 and supporting our vision and mission for the sake of the Gospel! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
Dismiss at 2:00pm