February 2020 Agenda—Las Vegas, Nevada
Begin at 9:00am
- To WiFi-
Wireless Name: Guest_WiFiPassword: 21314151
- How to get to today’s agenda: This IS today’s agenda!
- To each other – Grab a breakfast item! Meet your fellow TEC21 participants!
- Catching Up! What’s been going on?
1. The next workshop date is scheduled for Friday, March 27, 2020
Let’s take some time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. Share a success, a challenge you experienced or a lesson learned.
- Collaborative Activity or Mystery Skype
- Any new technology your using in the classroom that has worked out well
- Post to Educators Group on Facebook
- Were you a resource to another teachers?
1. Discover the educational value of student-created video activities.
2. Explore video creation tools and resources to use with your students.
3. Design a student-centered project or assessment involving the use of video.
4. Be a resource to another teacher by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
Skip ahead to 1:04 for the start of the tutorials.
Here’s a link to the full playlist of Kevin’s channel for the 10 tutorials.
Screencastify – Free screen recorder extension for Chrome. Capture, edit and share screencasts. No software download required. Works on Mac, Windows and Chromebooks.
Screencastify has their own classroom resource link which is a collection of everything you’ll need to get the most out of Screencastify. Check out the various pieces at this link.
See some examples of how to use in the classroom.
SMART Notebook also has a record feature for those using SMART boards. Check out this tutorial for more information.
Stop Motion Video
The Paperslide Video. Rapid Video Creation for the Classroom by Dr. Lodge McCammon
Interactive, engaging Pear Deck presentations stimulate discussion with formative assessment in real time. Google Slides Add-On. Create slides where students input short answers or numbers, explore websites, or answer multiple choice questions. Displays student responses anonymously. When you close the session it saves student responses in a spreadsheet. Let’s try it out! joinpd.com Works like Nearpod. Now try making your own Pear Deck using this tutorial.
Adobe Spark Video allows you to combine videos, pictures, text, and provided icons with music and audio to create a video. Here is a tutorial video to explain how. Only one component per slide. Automatically includes a list of references for images selected. Students can create these quite quickly and add their voice to tell about what they learned.I am a text block. Click edit button to build out any additional topics.
Digital Citizenship Integration
What aspects of digital citizenship need to be addressed when integrating video creation in the classroom?
- Internet Safety
- Privacy & Security
- Relationships & Communication
- Digital Footprint & Reputation
- Self-image & Identity
- Information Literacy
- Creative Credit & Copyright
TEC21 provides the opportunity for educators to explore technology tools and implement those into a meaningful project that enhances their current pedagogy and content. This gives educators the opportunity to make choices based on their interests and adapt those to benefit students. This concept is a natural pairing with Genius Hour.
Genius Hour Unit 4: Learn and Explore
Follow your plan for your project. Answer any questions you may have through personal research or by asking a colleague. Investigate and explore your options. Begin with those first few steps as a guide for development. Be sure to record your roadblocks and resolutions as well as your golden moments in the process.
- “What is Genius Hour?” (Genius Hour)
- How to Build Community Leaders of Today – And Tomorrow – Through Genius Hour (EdSurge, 2017)
- Genius Hour in Elementary School (Edutopia, 2017)
- Tips and Tricks to Keep Kids on Track During Genius Hour (MindShift, 2017)
- Inspire Drive, Creativity in the Classroom with 20-Time (20-Time in Education)
- 20-Time Projects in Education: 41 Projects in 4 Minutes (YouTube, 2014)
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
Digital Tools & Resources
Answer Garden creates word clouds on the fly for brainstorming. Answer Garden is a simple Web 2.0 tool used for getting feedback from a group. It can be used in grades K-12 to determine the knowledge level of students on a given topic. No registration is required. … Students simply key in their answers to your question or click on existing answers to create a word cloud of answers.
More than just a standalone app, the GooseChase platform lets you create and facilitate a customized scavenger hunt in minutes. … Gather the participants together and have at least one person per team download the GooseChase app.
Push Button Writer’s Prompts. Try it now! Take as much time with each prompt as you need, or set a 10-minute timer to get you motivated. Your first prompt appears above. To generate another, click the “get next prompt” button.
Free android video editor app in Google Play Store. With the Quik app, you can create awesome videos with just a few taps. Choose your favorite photos and video clips then let Quik work its magic. In seconds, it finds great moments, adds beautiful transitions and effects, and syncs everything to the beat of the music
Vizmato is an easy to use Movie maker, that let’s you add filters, themes, music, effects and text to make your videos super cool. Share these videos with your friends on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Whatsapp and other social media channels!
YouTube channel of Bible Story videos on many Bible stories. Check it out!
Games, mind, strategic activities, competition mode organized by grade level
Ready-to-run K-12 lessons delivered through an award-winning interactive learning platform. Create your own interactive presentations by importing a Powerpoint or Google Slide deck into Nearpod and adding polls, questions, etc.
VocabularySpellingCity is an award-winning site with ongoing introduction of new features, many based on input from existing users. Our mission: efficient game-based study of literacy skills using any word list. The site was launched on the web as SpellingCity in 2008 and has grown primarily through word of mouth.
Where would you like to take your students on a virtual field trip for Digital Learning Day? Search for a location you study, look at street view by clicking on the person in the lower right corner, look at satellite view. For example: go to Washington DC, find the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Capitol, White House, Martin Luther King Jr Monument. See pictures on left, go inside the White House.
1. Apply what you learned today by designing a lesson, a student project or an assessment strategy involving the use of video.
2. Post to the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. It can be a comment, an answer to someone’s question, a resource, a picture of you and your students or a link to a completed project your students created.
3. Be a resource to another teacher on your faculty by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
4. Registration for the TEC21 Workshop Program for the 2020/2021 school year opened on January 2, 2020. Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Share with them the value of connecting with other teachers serving in Lutheran schools and the impact it’s having on you and your students. Thank you in advance for being an ambassador for TEC21 and supporting our vision and mission for the sake of the Gospel! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
Dismiss at 2:00pm
My Contact Info
Add a picture that shows you in your element and provide your contact information so your teachers can get ahold of you for support and encouragement (e.g. email address, cell phone number, and username/handle communication tools such as Twitter, Glide, Skype, etc.)