February 2020 Agenda—Decatur, Illinois
Let’s take some time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. Share a success, a challenge you experienced or a lesson learned.
1. Discover the educational value of student-created video activities.
2. Explore video creation tools and resources to use with your students.
3. Design a student-centered project or assessment involving the use of video.
4. Be a resource to another teacher by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
One of the more useful tools in today’s educational world, screencasting provides a way in which teachers or students can create videos of their screens.
An exciting new form of video creation, green screen vidoes provide the perfect vehicle for student creativity. There are an abundant amout of resources for this format out in the technological world today.
Stop Motion Video
Who doesn’t think of Gumby and Pokey or Christmas Specials when stop motion vidoes are mentioned? Stop motion videos provide a simplistic method of video creation for all ages.
Digital Citizenship Integration
What aspects of digital citizenship need to be addressed when integrating video creation in the classroom?
- Internet Safety
- Privacy & Security
- Relationships & Communication
- Digital Footprint & Reputation
- Self-image & Identity
- Information Literacy
- Creative Credit & Copyright
TEC21 provides the opportunity for educators to explore technology tools and implement those into a meaningful project that enhances their current pedagogy and content. This gives educators the opportunity to make choices based on their interests and adapt those to benefit students. This concept is a natural pairing with Genius Hour.
Genius Hour Unit 4: Learn and Explore
Follow your plan for your project. Answer any questions you may have through personal research or by asking a colleague. Investigate and explore your options. Begin with those first few steps as a guide for development. Be sure to record your roadblocks and resolutions as well as your golden moments in the process.
- “What is Genius Hour?” (Genius Hour)
- How to Build Community Leaders of Today – And Tomorrow – Through Genius Hour (EdSurge, 2017)
- Genius Hour in Elementary School (Edutopia, 2017)
- Tips and Tricks to Keep Kids on Track During Genius Hour (MindShift, 2017)
- Inspire Drive, Creativity in the Classroom with 20-Time (20-Time in Education)
- 20-Time Projects in Education: 41 Projects in 4 Minutes (YouTube, 2014)
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
Digital Tools & Resources
iMovie lets you enjoy your videos and tell stories like never before. Browse your video library, share favorite moments, create beautiful movies, and watch them on all your devices in iMovie Theater. And with the iMovie extension, it’s fast and fun to make every video more memorable — right in the Photos app.
A web-based tool that let’s you record on-screen activity for short tutorials, visual presentations, and communicate while you demonstrate! Free 15 minute recordings of screen only or videocamera of speaker in corner with screen. Publish to YouTube or save as a video file.
Make anything talk — pets, friends, doodles, and more. Simply take any photo, draw a line to make a mouth, and record your voice. Then share your Pix with friends and family as silly greetings, playful messages, creative cards, fancy book reports, or retellings of learning about anything. And best of all, it’s FREE!
Students can use to explain their process in math, or expand upon a picture story they created. Simply take a picture of the child’s work or let them work it on the iPad or laptop, then record the student’s voice explaining process. Engage students with video to capture ideas, share instantly, replay anytime. Publish current Educreations video before beginning a new one (only one new project may be worked on at a time).
Do Ink provides Creativity Apps -Green Screen by Do Ink and Animation and Drawing by Do Ink for students to show what they know in education.
Draw, animate, narrate.
Creates slideshows from your photo content.
Make videos in minutes with Powtoon. Use our library of styles, characters, backgrounds and video, or upload your own! Free. Easy. Awesome.
The interactive whiteboard platform where people collaborate, share, and learn without boundaries. Turn ideas into understanding with Explain Everything.
Clipchamp is an all-in-one video converter, video compressor, webcam video recorder, video editor and video uploader solution.
Vizmato is an easy to use Movie maker, that let’s you add filters, themes, music, effects and text to make your videos super cool. Share these videos with your friends on Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Whatsapp and other social media channels!
How to Obtain 3 Graduate-level Credits Through Your TEC21 Experience
Will you be needing to renew your teaching license soon? Are you wanting to advance a step on your school’s salary schedule? Are you thinking about pursuing a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, consider applying to Concordia University, Nebraska, to receive three graduate-level credits for your TEC21 experience. There is no additional work that is required of you and the process is simple. The online application is open now and runs through May 1, 2020. Follow these four short steps to apply:
- First, select the “Apply Here” link below to create an account.
- Next, complete the fields. Where it asks for Academic Level, select “Non-Degree Coursework”. Where it asks for Entry Term, select “Summer Semester 2020”. After completing the remaining fields, select “Create Account”.
- Now, check your email for confirmation that your application came through successfully.
- Lastly, select the link provided in the confirmation email to make your online payment in the amount of $240 ($80/credit hour) using a debit or credit card.
- That’s it! You’re done!
On June 1, transcripts will be available upon request. If you ever have questions regarding how these three graduate-level credits could be applied to a master’s degree program in the coming years, contact Anna Boriack, Director of Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Innovation Specialist. She will be happy to help you. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Concordia University, Nebraska is a ministry partner of TEC21, so they may email you from time to time to share opportunities of how these credits could be applied toward graduate-level programs they offer.
Please note: The opportunity detailed above is optional. Additionally, all TEC21 participants will receive a certificate on the final workshop day stating 35 professional development hours have been completed through the TEC21 Workshop Program. How state board of education departments and the 35 LCMS districts recognize these 35 hours of professional development vary from state to state and district to district. (For example, see how the Kansas District’s (of the LCMS) Licensure Renewal has a distinct process in place for the teachers serving in this district.) So, be sure to contact your respective state’s board of education department or your LCMS district office if you have any questions on how to renew your certificate or license using your TEC21 experience!
1. Apply what you learned today by designing a lesson, a student project or an assessment strategy involving the use of video.
2. Post to the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. It can be a comment, an answer to someone’s question, a resource, a picture of you and your students or a link to a completed project your students created.
3. Be a resource to another teacher on your faculty by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
4. Registration for the TEC21 Workshop Program for the 2020/2021 school year opened on January 2, 2020. Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Share with them the value of connecting with other teachers serving in Lutheran schools and the impact it’s having on you and your students. Thank you in advance for being an ambassador for TEC21 and supporting our vision and mission for the sake of the Gospel! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
Dismiss at 2:00pm
My Contact Info