February 2020 Agenda—Arlington Heights, Illinois
Begin at 9:00am
Next workshop date is scheduled for Thursday, April 2nd. (Happy spring break!)
Other ‘stuff’ going on…
Find an Edcamp – Edcamps never charge a fee, and are open to educators of all levels and subjects. Edcamp 101, a typical day…
PLEASE encourage colleagues to register for next year: Tec21 registration
Let’s take some time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. Share a success, a challenge you experienced or a lesson learned.
1. Discover the educational value of student-created video activities.
2. Explore video creation tools and resources to use with your students.
3. Design a student-centered project or assessment involving the use of video.
4. Be a resource to another teacher by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
A screencast is a digital recording of computer screen output, also known as a video screen capture, often containing audio narration.
Educators and students turn to Screencast-O-Matic for easy screen recording and video editing. Videos are used in the classroom for flipped/blended learning, student assignments, two-way mentorship and more!
Screencastify is the #1 free screen recorder for Chrome. No download required. Record, edit and share videos in seconds. Videos autosave to your Google Drive
(For Mac computers: Quicktime works great too!)
Green Screen by Do Ink makes it easy to create incredible green screen videos and images right on your iPad or iPhone. The app lets you combine photos and videos from the camera roll with live images from your iPad or iPhone’s camera.
Stop Motion Video
Using Google Slides to make a Stop-Motion Animation: Ditch That Textbook Tutorial
Stop Motion Animation is a technique used in animation to bring static objects to life on screen. This is done by moving the object in increments while filming a frame per increment. When all the frames are played in sequence it shows movement. … Stop motion animation is almost as old as film itself. (definition by Techopedia)
Get Stop Motion Studio, the world’s easiest app to get you into stop motion moviemaking today! With it’s easy to use interface Stop Motion Studio lets you create beautiful animated movies. (iOS/Android)
The Merge Cube lets you hold virtual 3D objects, enabling an entirely new way to learn and interact with the digital world.
Digital Citizenship Integration
What aspects of digital citizenship need to be addressed when integrating video creation in the classroom?
- Internet Safety
- Privacy & Security
- Relationships & Communication
- Digital Footprint & Reputation
- Self-image & Identity
- Information Literacy
- Creative Credit & Copyright
TEC21 provides the opportunity for educators to explore technology tools and implement those into a meaningful project that enhances their current pedagogy and content. This gives educators the opportunity to make choices based on their interests and adapt those to benefit students. This concept is a natural pairing with Genius Hour.
Genius Hour Unit 4: Learn and Explore
Follow your plan for your project. Answer any questions you may have through personal research or by asking a colleague. Investigate and explore your options. Begin with those first few steps as a guide for development. Be sure to record your roadblocks and resolutions as well as your golden moments in the process.
- “What is Genius Hour?” (Genius Hour)
- How to Build Community Leaders of Today – And Tomorrow – Through Genius Hour (EdSurge, 2017)
- Genius Hour in Elementary School (Edutopia, 2017)
- Tips and Tricks to Keep Kids on Track During Genius Hour (MindShift, 2017)
- Inspire Drive, Creativity in the Classroom with 20-Time (20-Time in Education)
- 20-Time Projects in Education: 41 Projects in 4 Minutes (YouTube, 2014)
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
Digital Tools & Resources
Flipgrid is simple. Engage and empower every voice in your classroom or community by recording and sharing short, awesome videos … together! (iOS/Android)
Adobe Spark is an online and mobile design app. Easily create stunning social graphics, short videos, and web pages. (Web-based)
Edit online faster & easier than ever. Use stock footage, animated titles & green screening. No software to download/install. (Web-based)
Use this text block to provide a description of a web- or a mobile-based application specific to the subject matter, interests, and needs of your respective group of teachers. Use links or embed code to show examples of completed projects or video tutorials explaining the digital tool whenever possible.
This FREE online course is aimed at all educators looking to get started using digital storytelling to engage students, and learning to tell compelling digital stories with Adobe Spark. The course is self-paced, so you can learn at your own speed, and should take no longer than 3 hours to complete.
(No prior knowledge of Adobe tools is required to take part.)
YouTube channel of Bible Story videos on many Bible stories. Check it out!
MSQRD (Masquerade) is automatic selfie video recording app where your students can put on a mask and tell a story as a character. When they are finished it will save to photos where you can export it to Seesaw, Google Drive, any place you can share photos! And it’s so fun! Try it out.
Easily find educational videos from TV shows and movies to use in your lessons
By Richard Byrne, (as of March 2017). Many links to other Chromebook resources within this article.
Games, mind, strategic activities, competition mode organized by grade level
A Richard Byrne resource – updated as of Feb. 11, 2020
Customize videos, add your voice to pre made videos, include comments and questions during the video to make a “during video quiz”
This will show a number of web applications that work well with younger students (kindergarten through grade three). From tried and true to brand new each teacher will find at least one that they can use next week in their classroom.!
Try in your math center to teach fractions, money, geometric shapes, math vocabulary and much more! This site offers each of these free apps as web apps, Apple apps, and Chrome apps! Click on the site and start trying these tools out! Note that you need to provide problems and feedback to students to facilitate their learning.
Google Books is a fantastic tool for students to use to locate books and search within those books. As is demonstrated in this video even if a book isn’t available to download in its entirety, students can still search within the book to determine if the book contains enough references to make it worth their time and effort to buy or borrow a copy of the book.
How to Obtain 3 Graduate-level Credits Through Your TEC21 Experience
Will you be needing to renew your teaching license soon? Are you wanting to advance a step on your school’s salary schedule? Are you thinking about pursuing a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction? If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, consider applying to Concordia University, Nebraska, to receive three graduate-level credits for your TEC21 experience. There is no additional work that is required of you and the process is simple. The online application is open now and runs through May 1, 2020. Follow these four short steps to apply:
- First, select the “Apply Here” link below to create an account.
- Next, complete the fields. Where it asks for Academic Level, select “Non-Degree Coursework”. Where it asks for Entry Term, select “Summer Semester 2020”. After completing the remaining fields, select “Create Account”.
- Now, check your email for confirmation that your application came through successfully.
- Lastly, select the link provided in the confirmation email to make your online payment in the amount of $240 ($80/credit hour) using a debit or credit card.
- That’s it! You’re done!
On June 1, transcripts will be available upon request. If you ever have questions regarding how these three graduate-level credits could be applied to a master’s degree program in the coming years, contact Anna Boriack, Director of Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Innovation Specialist. She will be happy to help you. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Concordia University, Nebraska is a ministry partner of TEC21, so they may email you from time to time to share opportunities of how these credits could be applied toward graduate-level programs they offer.
Please note: The opportunity detailed above is optional. Additionally, all TEC21 participants will receive a certificate on the final workshop day stating 35 professional development hours have been completed through the TEC21 Workshop Program. How state board of education departments and the 35 LCMS districts recognize these 35 hours of professional development vary from state to state and district to district. (For example, see how the Kansas District’s (of the LCMS) Licensure Renewal has a distinct process in place for the teachers serving in this district.) So, be sure to contact your respective state’s board of education department or your LCMS district office if you have any questions on how to renew your certificate or license using your TEC21 experience!
1. Apply what you learned today by designing a lesson, a student project or an assessment strategy involving the use of video.
2. Post to the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. It can be a comment, an answer to someone’s question, a resource, a picture of you and your students or a link to a completed project your students created.
3. Be a resource to another teacher on your faculty by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
4. Registration for the TEC21 Workshop Program for the 2020/2021 school year opened on January 2, 2020. Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Share with them the value of connecting with other teachers serving in Lutheran schools and the impact it’s having on you and your students. Thank you in advance for being an ambassador for TEC21 and supporting our vision and mission for the sake of the Gospel! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
Dismiss at 2:00pm