April 2021 Agenda—Fort Wayne, Indiana (6-12 Cohort)
- To Wifi:
- Network: TEC21
- Password: **given out in class**
- How to get to today’s agenda: If you can read this, you’re already there.
- A Quick Note: We will be pushing our morning teaching and celebration time into the lunch hour and ending with lunch today! You can chose Panera or anywhere else you would like to eat for the day! Enjoy!
1. The next workshop date is scheduled for … wait…we are done! Congrats!
2. If you have never gone to a technology conference or connected with an educator technology group/organization I would encourage a few of the following options
- Indiana Connected Educators (ICE)
- Note: Annual fall conference held near Indy.
- Note: This year, because of COVID-19 it was held virtually in July. Click on the link above to learn more about ICE and maybe set a goal to go to their annual conference within the next few years!
- Michigan Association of Computer User Learning (MACUL)
- Note: Upcoming Regional Conference in March! This year it is scheduled to take place March 17th-19th, 2021 in Detroit, MI. To learn more or to register click here. UPDATE: this conference will now be virtual. In my opinion, it has consistently been my favorite conference to attend. The workshops and keynotes are exceptional.
- International Society of Technology in Education (ISTE)
- Note: Annual International Conference Held Each Summer.
3. We will be looking to finish today around 12:30 PM. If you do order your lunch ahead anywhere, make sure you note the time. We won’t be coming back together in the afternoon this month! Enjoy your summer!
4. This summer, we will be preparing our TEC21 website for “Season 13” so we encourage you to bookmark the “Season 12” workshop agendas now so you have access to them in the future. Here’s the link – https://tec21connect.com/2020-2021-workshop-agendas/ Please note: When we perform quarterly updates on our website’s theme, webpages, and various plug-ins, we do not include all of the previous years’ agendas (archived webpages) in the process as it would be a very time intensive process. The good Lutheran question is “What does this mean?” It means that over time past agendas may start to look a little wonky, but the links and resources will still be accessible for you 🙂
How to Obtain 3 Graduate-level Credits Through Your TEC21 Experience
The online application period ENDS May 15, 2021.
Will you be needing to renew your teaching license soon? Are you thinking about pursuing a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction? If you answered “yes” to either of these questions, we encourage you to consider applying to Concordia University, Nebraska, to receive three graduate-level credits for your TEC21 experience. There is no additional work that is required of you and the process is simple. Follow these four easy steps to apply:
First, select the “Apply Here” link to create an account.
Next, complete the fields in the form. Where it asks for Academic Level, select “Non-Degree Coursework”. Where it asks for Entry Term, select “Summer Semester 2021”. Where it asks for Academic Program, select “TEC21”. After completing the remaining fields, select “Create Account”.
Now, check your email for confirmation that your application came through successfully.
Lastly, select the link provided in the confirmation email to make your online payment in the amount of $240 ($80/credit hour) using a debit or credit card. That’s it! You’re done!
What happens next?
In the latter half of May, letter grades will be submitted to Concordia. Once the grades have been entered into their system, you will receive an email from the TEC21 Office providing you with your letter grade and a link to request a transcript in the event you need one.
If you ever have questions regarding how these three graduate-level credits could be applied to a master’s degree program now or in the coming years (they are good for 5 years), contact Anna Boriack, Director of Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Innovation Specialist. She will be happy to help you. Her email address is email@example.com. Concordia University, Nebraska is a ministry partner of TEC21, so they may email you from time to time to share opportunities of how these credits could be applied toward graduate-level programs they offer.
Please note: The opportunity detailed above is optional. Additionally, all TEC21 participants will receive a certificate on the final workshop day stating 35 professional development hours have been completed through the TEC21 Workshop Program. How state board of education departments and the 35 LCMS districts recognize these 35 hours of professional development vary from state to state and district to district. (For example, see how the Kansas District of the LCMS Licensure Renewal has a distinct process in place for the teachers serving in this district.) So, be sure to contact your respective state’s board of education department or your LCMS district office if you have any questions on how to renew your certificate or license using your TEC21 experience!
Let’s take some time to reflect on the past month and share experiences. Share a success story, a challenge you experienced, or a lesson learned.
1. Continue to be both a consumer and a contributor in your professional learning network.
2. Plan how you will continue to be a connected, resourceful life-long learner.
3. Celebrate each other’s TEC21 achievements through today’s mini-conference format.
Throughout this program, we have emphasized the value of being connected educators in Lutheran education today. We have shared specific platforms in which TEC21 facilitators and teachers connect online to further build and strengthen their professional learning networks. As we wrap up this series of workshops, what a great time to reflect on the benefits of being able to gather together for these monthly sessions to be equipped, trained, encouraged, and supported. We hope the relationships that have been built this year will continue to be a blessing to your teaching ministry for many years to come! And know that as a team of facilitators, we will always be here for you! #LutheranSchoolsThrive
Facebook Group: Engage with TEC21 Educators going all the way back to “Season 1” to ask questions and share ideas to support one another!
Facebook: Please help us get the word out to as many teachers as possible about the TEC21 Workshop Program by “Liking” us on the TEC21 Facebook Page!
Instagram: Follow TEC_21 so you can enjoy the fun pics taken at our workshop centers from year to year.
Collaboration! We are each other’s BEST resources 🙂
Today we will be working on lessons I developed inside of Google Classroom!
Today we will be looking at several final tools and resources. While for more of the season we focus on long standing vetted tools, this final workshop is meant to share with you some up and coming tools. Here is a list of those things we are exploring inside of Google Classroom today.
- Sutori – Interactive Presentations for the Classroom
- Threadit – An upcoming video integration tool for Google Docs
- Advanced Web Search – A built in feature that just came out to help bring clarity to web search sources.
- An Article from “Ditch that Textbook” about avoiding burnout.
- Digital Board Game Templates that allow students to play from anywhere, even remotely.
Mini-conference Style Presentations
This is the opportunity for you to share what you have learned and how you have grown as an educator through the processes of inquiry, investigation, implementation, and reflection.
Time to gather your…
Click on the SHARED DOCUMENTS to access everyone’s presentation links from all the workshop centers.
Digital Tools & Resources
This collection of genius hour resources was created by a TEC21 Facilitator, Jerrita Staehr. It guides you through the entire process from early brainstorming sessions all the way to the final presentation.
Plum’s Creaturizer from PBS Kids is a free iOS and Android app that lets students create fun cartoon creatures then place them into outdoor settings through the use of augmented reality. The purpose of the app is to have students learn and show how the characteristics of an animal help it thrive in its environment.
Learnia’s world consists of a number of islands, each with a distinct feel. Each island contains one grade year of spelling or math. A path meanders from island to island giving kids a sense of progress as they learn. This path is blocked by skill stones. When kids master a skill stone it steps aside and the next segment of the path opens up.
3D Bear will enable students to…
- become content creators in 3D themselves, 3D modeller being one of the top 20 Jobs in the future and as important as coding.
- learn spatial cognition.
- change their mindset to creative problem solving and storytelling.
- learn 21st century job skills in a way where technology is redefining learning.
60 Second Presidents PBS produced 60-second videos on each president. It’s a fun way to summarize each presidency. Could your students then make their own 60-second video on a topic you are studying and share!
C K-12 Free Open Education Curriculum. Direct students and parents to this free open educational curriculum for Math, Science, English, and more. e-flex books for each subject and lots of materials. Also switch to Teacher view to see all the teacher materials. Check it out this summer!
The Story of the United States Told in 141 Interactive Maps. This site features 141 interactive maps chronicling the expansion of the United States from March 1789 to August 1959. When you click on any of the maps you will see the new territories acquired in that year and month. Each map is accompanied by a brief description of how the new territories were acquired.
Book Snaps. BookSnaps are a digital, visual representation used to annotate and share reflections on an excerpt of a book. Students use a variety of tools to create a note about something they are reading and post to your school social network: Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Seesaw.
The Digital Pirate Teach Like a Pirate digital resources. Great book for you to read over the summer, and great activities to share with students or plan for next year’s curriculum!
Google Tour Builder SAMPLE. Google Tour Builder allows you and your students to input locations and create a tour. At each location you can upload up to 25 pictures or videos! What a vacation idea! Or book idea!
skribbl.io. A free multiplayer drawing and guessing game. One game consists of a few rounds in which every round someone has to draw their chosen word and others have to guess it to gain points! The person with the most points at the end of game will then be crowned as the winner!
Instagram Stories with Google Slides. You don’t need the Instagram app to create the Instagram Stories experience. You just need Google Slides! Check out this template and how you can use it in class. Credit Matt Miller at Ditch That Textbook.
Lunch Hour at 12:30 PM
The bestowing of award, praise and adulation.
We officially dub you TEC21 Teachers–connected, resourceful life-long learners!
1. “Pomp & Circumstance”
2. Presentation of “diplomas”
3. Presentation of TEC21 Digital Badges
Dear TEC21 Teachers,
As educators, we all know how hard it is to keep up with the needs of students. TEC21 recognizes the extra effort it takes to learn, stretch and grow to provide Technology Enriched Classrooms. We applaud every principal who has given the green light to allow teachers to participate in our workshops, and every teacher who has stepped outside his or her comfort zone to be vigorously challenged. Our goal with you is a contagious classroom full of motivated students.
You have earned this badge. We have provided it in two sizes each for school administrators and teachers. We hope you’ll proudly display it on your school website, personal classroom website, and your email signature.
Thank you for making a TEC21 classroom a badge of honor.
Serving Him with you,
The TEC21 Facilitators
Pictured above are the TEC21 Facilitators as we gathered virtually for our annual summer academy in June of 2020.
For School Administrators
Small School Badge
<div align="center"><a href="https://tec21connect.com/" title="Tec21"><img src="https://tec21connect.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/TEC21-School-Badge-256x75.png" alt="Tec21" style="border:none;width:100%;max-width:256px;height:auto;" /></a></div>
Large School Badge
<div align="center"><a href="https://tec21connect.com/" title="Tec21"><img src="https://tec21connect.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/TEC21-School-Badge-256x256.png" alt="Tec21" style="border:none;width:100%;max-width:256px;height:auto;" /></a></div>
Small Teacher Badge
<div align="center"><a href="https://tec21connect.com/" title="Tec21"><img src="https://tec21connect.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/TEC21-Educator-Badge-256x75.png" alt="Tec21" style="border:none;width:100%;max-width:256px;height:auto;" /></a></div>
Large Teacher Badge
<div align="center"><a href="https://tec21connect.com/" title="Tec21"><img src="https://tec21connect.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/TEC21-Educator-Badge-256x256.png" alt="Tec21" style="border:none;width:100%;max-width:256px;height:auto;" /></a></div>
Final TEC21 Challenges
1. Digital: Continue to be a connected educator!
2. Social: Continue to be a life-long learner!
3. Spiritual: Continue to be a resource to others!
Dismiss at 2:00pm