November 2021 Agenda—Livermore, California
Begin at 9:00am
As we approach this Christmas season, how can we let our light shine to those around us?
Let’s take some time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. Share a success, a challenge you experienced or a lesson learned.
1. The next workshop date is scheduled for Thursday, January 20, 2022.
2. LEC in Palm Springs is only a couple of weeks away! Looking forward to seeing you there and having an opportunity for more collaboration and connecting.
3. 2022/2023 cohorts are now forming!
(Letter from Brent Dieckhoff, founder and executive director of TEC21)
Dear TEC21 Participants,
“Oh give thanks unto the Lord, for He is good; for His mercy endureth forever.” Psalm 118:29
It’s always at this time of the year that I find myself extra thankful for the TEC21 ministry. Perhaps it’s because the workshop program is well on its way during another school term or maybe it’s because Thanksgiving is right around the corner. Either way, I am so thankful for the MANY ways God has blessed our work over the past 13 years and am now waiting in expectation for the plans he has in store for us in Season 14.
I want to take this opportunity to say thank you for joining us this year and for all that you do for Lutheran school ministries for the sake of the gospel. Thank you for modeling to your students your desire to continue to learn for their good. It is my prayer that the relationships you are forming and the learning that is taking place as you gather together each month through our workshop program has been and will continue to be a blessing to both you personally and to your teaching ministry not only for this year, but for many years to come. Personally, I find that being able to connect with other teachers is vital to my teaching ministry. It is a boost to my spiritual, intellectual, and emotional well-being. I love learning with and from others and the relationships that have formed through my TEC21 connections help to keep me feeling fresh and excited to serve in Lutheran education. It is my hope and prayer that this is the case for you, too.
The facilitators and I are now forming our next cohorts that will begin in September of 2022. We’d like to ask you for your help by being an ambassador for our program. Personal testimonies go a very long way, so I would be most grateful if you would help us by thinking of a fellow teacher or teachers that you could encourage to register for Season 14. They could be teachers from your school or any other school. With your help we will be able to impact more teachers and their students. I thank you in advance for the support of our efforts and your partnership in ministry!
God’s peace be with you.
#TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
“I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel…” Philippians 1:4-5
Principals can register with their name to save spots for one or more of your teachers. To register, have them click here.
We look forward in Workshop #3 to SHARE resources and best teaching and learning practices with one another.
1. Explore and discover a variety of digital tools and learning activities to use in order to assess student progress and understanding.
2. Create a digital assessment activity which could be incorporated into an upcoming lesson or unit.
3. Be a resource to another colleague by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
Formative Assessment, Summative Assessment or Time Killers
Game show classroom: Comparing Kahoot!, Quizizz, Quizlet Live and Gimkit
Kahoot of course! We will try one.
Ghost mode– How to duplicate and edit public Kahoot quizzes – YouTube — Jumble Mode Is a New Way to Play Kahoot Games—How to use Kahoot! to teach new topics – Blind Kahoot!’ing – YouTube—Blind Kahoot Template WT – YouTube
Yeah, but, Google Forms
Did you fill out this one yet?
Resources to help with Google Forms
Your first day with Google forms
When the Shine is Gone
Create Madlibs with Google Sheets
Add your quiz to a video–Edpuzzle
create a presentation and put your questions in it– Nearpod
Add questions to Slides– Pear deck
Flipgrid is a social learning platform that allows educators to ask a question, then the students respond in a video. Students are then able to respond to one another, creating a “web” of discussion. … The students were using whiteboards to complete the work, then recording themselves on Flipgrid
- Kahoot – A collection of questions on specific topics. Created by teachers, students, business-people and social users, they are asked in real-time, to an unlimited number of “players”, creating a social, fun and game-like learning environment.
- Quizlet Live – Teams of students work together, racing to learn the material in a Quizlet study set.
- Quizizz – An alternative to Kahoot, with a few different features.
- Quizalize – A student response system (similar to Kahoot, Quizizz, Class Responder, etc.) that really engages students.
Coding made easy!
Coding– Hour of Code — December 6-12
Digital Assessments & Coding Activities
- Seesaw – A student-driven digital portfolio that empowers students to independently document what they are learning at school. FEATURES: Easily Capture Student Learning in Any Form ∙ Students can use photos, videos, drawings, text notes, links to show what they know.
- Student Portfolio Apps & Websites – Compiled by Common Sense Media, this useful article provides you with a chart of options for online portfolios for students complete with grade levels, platforms, and pricing!
- Google Folders/Google Classroom – Set up a Google account for each student so they log in once and save to the cloud. Allows Collaborative projects in Docs & Slides. Easy to share whole folder once with parents, then everything in the folder will be visible to them. To see how to use Google Classroom view Mobile Learning in the Classroom.
- Sesame – An online tool that helps compile student work. This site is available as an iOS or Android app, as well as online. Noteworthy feature: Students can work offline and the program will sync when WiFi is connected again!
- Take Three! 55 Digital Tools and Apps for Formative Assessment Success – If you want to find more, here’s a whole bunch!
- Google Sites – This is my favorite way to create ePortoflios! Here is a great explanation: Google Sites Portfolios
20 virtual field trip ideas and activities for your classroom
A Classic Geography Tool – Overlap Maps
NSTA-Approved Online Quizzes for Google Classroom
My colleagues and I have developed an online tool with hundreds of interactive self-grading Science quizzes! These have been shared by the National Science Teacher Association and are totally free.
Simply select the one you like and click on “send via Google Classroom”. This will automatically link the tools and that’s it! We really hope you like them.
7 Great Places to Make and Find Story Starters
How to Keep Students Safe Online While Learning Remotely?
Thanksgiving resources:Mine:—Larry Ferlazzo—Shelly Terrell
Mapping Thanksgiving www.freetech4teachers.com/2019/11/mapping-thanksgiving.html
6 Googley Wintertime Activities for Kids
Three Thanksgiving Science Lessons
A Handful of Games for Fun Typing Practice
Top Digital Tools & Resources on Digital Assessments & Coding
Center- and Educator-specific Digital Tools & Resources
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
1. Digital: Develop and incorporate a digital assessment and/or coding activity to use with your students in a lesson or unit you’ll be teaching before we meet again in January.
2. Social: Post to TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook or another social media platform. It can be a comment, an answer to someone’s question, a resource, a picture of you teaching and/or your students learning, or a sample of a digital assessment you used with your students.
3. Spiritual: Be a resource–an inspiration–to one of your colleagues.
4. 2022/2023 cohorts are now forming! Personal testimonies go a long way, so we would be most grateful if you would encourage a teacher to register for Season 14. We thank you in advance for the support of our efforts as we strive to encourage and support the many wonderful teachers serving in Lutheran education. #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
To open the reflection in its own tab, select HERE.
Dismiss at 2:00pm
My Contact Info
Please feel free to reach out if you ever need any help with technology integration or you have questions about something.
Cell Phone: (707)287-7994