February 2022 Agenda–Seward, Nebraska (EC-12 Cohort)
Begin at 9:00am
Riding down the River with Moses
Now a man of the tribe of Levi married a Levite woman, and she became pregnant and gave birth to a son. When she saw that he was a fine child, she hid him for three months. But when she could hide him no longer, she got a papyrus basket for him and coated it with tar and pitch. Then she placed the child in it and put it among the reeds along the bank of the Nile. His sister stood at a distance to see what would happen to him.
Then Pharaoh’s daughter went down to the Nile to bathe, and her attendants were walking along the riverbank. She saw the basket among the reeds and sent her female slave to get it. She opened it and saw the baby. He was crying, and she felt sorry for him. “This is one of the Hebrew babies,” she said.
Then his sister asked Pharaoh’s daughter, “Shall I go and get one of the Hebrew women to nurse the baby for you?”
“Yes, go,” she answered. So the girl went and got the baby’s mother. Pharaoh’s daughter said to her, “Take this baby and nurse him for me, and I will pay you.” So the woman took the baby and nursed him. When the child grew older, she took him to Pharaoh’s daughter and he became her son. She named him Moses, saying, “I drew him out of the water.”
1. Moses got his name from being “drawn out of the water” if you got a new name recently what would it mean?
2. “Take this baby and nurse it for me” sounds like our jobs! What are we doing that “nurses” our students?
3. Music is the sound track for life. The power of music in movies can make or break any scene. What song or songs would be the sound track of your life right now?
Stop! Collaborate and Listen! Check out my Wakelet and let’s add super cool resources! Click here.
1. The next workshop date is scheduled for March 24.
2. The Nebraska Ed Tech Conference is coming in April.
3. This summer, we will be preparing our TEC21 website for “Season 14”, so we encourage you to bookmark the “Season 13” workshop agendas now so you have access to them in the future. Here’s the link – https://tec21connect.com/2021-2022-workshop-agendas/ Note: When we perform quarterly updates on our website’s theme, webpages and various plug-ins, we do not include all of the previous years’ agendas (webpages) in the process. This means that over time past agendas may start to look a little wonky, but the links and resources will still be accessible for you 🙂
4. Three graduate-level credits available through Concordia University, Nebraska:
How to Obtain 3 Graduate-level Credits Through Your TEC21 Experience
Will you be needing to renew your teaching license soon? Are you considering starting a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction within the next five years? If you answered “yes” to either of these questions, you might consider applying to Concordia University, Nebraska, to receive three graduate-level credits for your TEC21 experience. There is no additional work that is required of you and the process is simple. The application period will open during February’s workshop day and run through May 15, 2022. For your convenience, a link to the online application will be included on our final three agendas (February, March and April).
First, select the “Apply Here” link to create an account.
Next, complete the fields in the form. Where it asks for Academic Level, select “Non-Degree Coursework”. Where it asks for Entry Term, select “Summer Semester 2022”. Where it asks for Academic Program, select “TEC21”. After completing the remaining fields, select “Create Account”.
Next, check your email for confirmation that your application came through successfully.
Last, select the link provided in the confirmation email to make your online payment in the amount of $240 ($80/credit hour) using a debit or credit card. That’s it! You’re done!
On June 1, transcripts will be available upon request. If you ever have questions regarding how these three graduate-level credits could be applied to a master’s degree program now or in the coming years (they are good for 5 years), contact Anna Boriack, Director of Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Innovation Specialist. She will be happy to help you. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Concordia University, Nebraska is a ministry partner of TEC21, so they may email you from time to time to share opportunities of how these credits could be applied toward graduate-level programs they offer.
Please note: The opportunity detailed above is optional. Additionally, all TEC21 participants will receive a certificate on the final workshop day stating 35 professional development hours have been completed through the TEC21 Workshop Program. How state board of education departments and the 35 LCMS districts recognize these 35 hours of professional development vary from state to state and district to district. In light of this, be sure to contact your respective state’s board of education department or your LCMS district office if you have any questions on how to renew your certificate or license using your TEC21 experience.
1. Discover the educational value of student-created video activities.
2. Explore video creation tools and resources to use with your students.
3. Design a student-centered project or assessment involving the use of video.
4. Be a resource to another teacher by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
Use one of the following tools to create a screencast to explain what you learned in the devotion today. This should be an example of how students can create screencasts to demonstrate understanding and processes. If you finish early, make another! Post your examples on today’s Google Doc.
Educreations. Here is an Educreations screencast that teaches the process of making a screencast and the importance of keeping the length short. Educreations is both a tablet app and a website so works on all devices. Noted as being the easiest screencast tool so even early childhood students can use it. You can take a picture of their work and they can record their voice telling about it, or demonstrate how they do a math problem.
Flipgrid is a simple, free, and accessible video discussion experience for learners and families. Set up an educator’s account and create your first topic for your class! Getting Started Guide.
Set up a Seesaw educator’s account on your laptop or mobile device. Record a video of yourself reading. Think about how students can use this site to demonstrate learning. Try taking a picture of a piece of work, then using the video tool to describe what you did and how you did it! Best classroom platform for meaningful student engagement.
Working with a partner, use one of the following tools to create a green screen video to teach about a system of the body. This should be an example of how students can create screencasts to demonstrate learning. (15 minutes). If you finish early, make another! Post your examples on today’s Google Doc.
DoInk is the #1 Green Screen app for the iPad and iPhone in Education and is also a 2019 Winner of the Best Apps for Teaching and Learning by the AASL (American Association of School Librarians). Classroom-tested by kids and teachers, this app emphasizes ease-of-use and simplicity while still enabling fantastic results. With Green Screen by Do Ink, you can tell a story, explain an idea, and express yourself in truly creative and unique ways. Watch this video to see how kids can use this app to make videos using green screen.
Using iMovie, provide a description of a web- or a mobile-based application specific to this month’s theme or to the subject matter, interests, and needs of your respective group of teachers. Use links or embed code to show examples of completed projects or video tutorials explaining the digital tool whenever possible.
Making a Movie
Collaborating with other TEC21 teachers, create a movie to tell a story you are reading in class or a fairy tale. This should be an example of how students can create videos to demonstrate comprehension. (30 minutes). If you finish early, make another! Post your examples on today’s Google Doc. Then we will view each other’s videos and try to guess what story they are acting out!
Using WeVideo, make videos on any device, including Chromebook, Windows, Mac, and mobile. Edit on the go with mobile apps for Android and iOS devices. Cloud-based flexibility means you get unlimited storage for your media and there’s no download or software to install. Add features like green screen for a big-budget look without the cost or difficulty. How-to Video
With iMovie for iOS and macOS, you can enjoy your videos like never before. It’s easy to browse your clips and create Hollywood-style trailers and stunning 4K-resolution movies. You can even start editing on iPhone or iPad, then finish on your Mac.
iMovie Trailers are short 1 minute movie trailers that have the professionalism of being in a movie theatre. Templates are provided complete with editable scripts and music. Create a new trailer project in iMovie on the app or Mac. How to video
Top Digital Tools & Resources on Video Creation
Center/Educator-Specific Digital Tools & Resources
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
- Digital: Apply what you learned today by designing a lesson, a student project or an assessment strategy involving the use of video.
- Social: Post to the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. It can be a comment, an answer to someone’s question, a resource, a picture of you and your students or a link to a completed project your students created.
- Spiritual: Be a resource to another teacher on your faculty by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
- Missional: Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Personal testimonies go a long way, so we would be most grateful if you would help us by thinking of a fellow teacher or teachers that you could encourage to register for the 2022/2023 school year. They could be teachers from your school or any other school for that matter. With your help we will be able to impact more teachers and their students for the sake of the gospel. Share with them how valuable it’s been to you to be able to connect with other teachers serving in Lutheran schools outside of your school building and the positive impact it’s having on you and your students. We thank you in advance for any support of our efforts that you can give to us. Thank you for supporting our mission and vision and being an ambassador for TEC21! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
My Contact Info
Please feel free to reach out if you ever need any help with technology integration or you have questions about something we did this year! I am always happy to help.