February 2022 Agenda–Fort Wayne, Indiana (EC-8 Cohort)
Do we need Jesus?
WE NEED JESUS!
Let’s take some time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. Share a success, a challenge you experienced or a lesson learned.
1. The next workshop date is scheduled for Thursday, March 24.
3. This summer, we will be preparing our TEC21 website for “Season 14”, so we encourage you to bookmark the “Season 13” workshop agendas now so you have access to them in the future. Here’s the link – https://tec21connect.com/2021-2022-workshop-agendas/ Note: When we perform quarterly updates on our website’s theme, webpages and various plug-ins, we do not include all of the previous years’ agendas (webpages) in the process. This means that over time past agendas may start to look a little wonky, but the links and resources will still be accessible for you 🙂
4. Three graduate-level credits available through Concordia University, Nebraska:
How to Obtain 3 Graduate-level Credits Through Your TEC21 Experience
Will you be needing to renew your teaching license soon? Are you considering starting a master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction within the next five years? If you answered “yes” to either of these questions, you might consider applying to Concordia University, Nebraska, to receive three graduate-level credits for your TEC21 experience. There is no additional work that is required of you and the process is simple. The application period will open during February’s workshop day and run through May 15, 2022. For your convenience, a link to the online application will be included on our final three agendas (February, March and April).
First, select the “Apply Here” link to create an account.
Next, complete the fields in the form. Where it asks for Academic Level, select “Non-Degree Coursework”. Where it asks for Entry Term, select “Summer Semester 2022”. Where it asks for Academic Program, select “TEC21”. After completing the remaining fields, select “Create Account”.
Next, check your email for confirmation that your application came through successfully.
Last, select the link provided in the confirmation email to make your online payment in the amount of $240 ($80/credit hour) using a debit or credit card. That’s it! You’re done!
On June 1, transcripts will be available upon request. If you ever have questions regarding how these three graduate-level credits could be applied to a master’s degree program now or in the coming years (they are good for 5 years), contact Anna Boriack, Director of Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Instructional Innovation Specialist. She will be happy to help you. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Concordia University, Nebraska is a ministry partner of TEC21, so they may email you from time to time to share opportunities of how these credits could be applied toward graduate-level programs they offer.
Please note: The opportunity detailed above is optional. Additionally, all TEC21 participants will receive a certificate on the final workshop day stating 35 professional development hours have been completed through the TEC21 Workshop Program. How state board of education departments and the 35 LCMS districts recognize these 35 hours of professional development vary from state to state and district to district. In light of this, be sure to contact your respective state’s board of education department or your LCMS district office if you have any questions on how to renew your certificate or license using your TEC21 experience.
1. Discover the educational value of student-created video activities.
2. Explore video creation tools and resources to use with your students.
3. Design a student-centered project or assessment involving the use of video.
4. Be a resource to another teacher by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
Gimkit was a requested tool to review this month. Let’s start with doing a Gimkit as a “class” (student perspective) and then we’ll create one together.
We did Flipgrid back in the Fall, but it bears to be repeated. Flipgrid is a fantastic tool for students to demonstrate knowledge through video. Students can give an oral response to a reading passage, explain a math process/concept, and so much more. This can be a valuable tool for students who struggle with the writing process, not developing thoughts and ideas.
Paper Slide Videos
Our main focus/project today is going to be creating a newscast. As a group, we will decide what events we want to report (historical, today, a “normal” day), what elements should be in our newscast (weather, sports, Mr. Food, etc.), and more.
We have access to an iPad with iMovie. We can use any other devices we brought with us as well. We also have green screen capabilities as well.
Let’s develop a script and start recording!
Here are directions for using the green screen with iMovie.
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
- Digital: Apply what you learned today by designing a lesson, a student project or an assessment strategy involving the use of video.
- Social: Post to the TEC21 Educators Group on Facebook. It can be a comment, an answer to someone’s question, a resource, a picture of you and your students or a link to a completed project your students created.
- Spiritual: Be a resource to another teacher on your faculty by sharing with them a digital tool, a resource, a learning activity, or an assessment strategy you learned about at today’s workshop.
- Missional: Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Personal testimonies go a long way, so we would be most grateful if you would help us by thinking of a fellow teacher or teachers that you could encourage to register for the 2022/2023 school year. They could be teachers from your school or any other school for that matter. With your help we will be able to impact more teachers and their students for the sake of the gospel. Share with them how valuable it’s been to you to be able to connect with other teachers serving in Lutheran schools outside of your school building and the positive impact it’s having on you and your students. We thank you in advance for any support of our efforts that you can give to us. Thank you for supporting our mission and vision and being an ambassador for TEC21! #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd