Go to Word Cloud to create a piece of word art that describes you. Play around with the website. Ask questions if needed. Download and attach your finished project and send it to my email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Upcoming events:
2. Concordia University-Nebraska has a heart for TEC21’s mission which is to invest in the lives of teachers serving in the Lutheran schools. This is why they have partnered with us in support of our efforts. Together, we have developed a special arrangement where you may receive three graduate credits for your participation in The TEC21 Workshop Program at a cost of $80/credit hour. Some teachers have used these credits toward attaining an endorsement (option #1) or an M.Ed. (options #2, #3, and #4). Additionally, many teachers have simply used their TEC21 experience as a means to help them meet their state’s recertification requirements (option #5). Listed below are the options your graduate credits can be used for should you choose to take advantage of this opportunity:
3. Wow! Look at how many Lutheran school teachers are now a part of the TEC21 Educators community! Isn’t it awesome what technology can afford us to do? This is powerful and a game changer for Lutheran educators today. It’ll enable us to support one another in-between workshops this school year and for many years to come #TEC21lcms #LutheranSchoolsThrive #LuthEd
Any “How to” questions regarding the Google+ community? How do I add a picture to my profile? How do I link a web page when I post? How do I manage my notifications?
4. Let’s take some time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. What were some successes? Tell us about any challenges you faced?
Each month, we’re going to provide several relevant resources for you to digest in advance of our workshops as a means to get your creative juices flowing. They’ll be included in the pre-workshop emails you receive the week prior to each session. Our intent is that they help you to grow as a life-long learner and lead to practical applications for your teaching ministry. Enjoy!
2. NMC Horizon Report 2017 K-12 Edition -trends in education
3. 8 Things to Look for in Today’s Classroom: George Couros
4. Connected Educator Month – October
1. Discover the value of digital storytelling.
2. Explore digital storytelling tools and resources to use with your students.
3. Identify a tool or resource to share with another teacher at your school.
Storytelling has been around since the beginning of time. People have passed down stories from generation to generation. Now, with using technology, stories can be shared instantly to the world and not just to the person standing closest to us. Also, students are able to express their writing in new and creative ways that were not available before which empowers them to be innovative and develop the critical thinking skills needed for the 21st century. 6 Reasons You Should Be Doing Digital Storytelling with Your Students
“Digital storytelling has emerged as a fundamental, cross-curricular technique that provides structure for both sharing and understanding new information. It has become an essential way of providing information and enhancing education…by making abstract or conceptual content more understandable. In all disciplines, it offers more ways to engage students and enrich learning through the inclusion of digital media that represents, illustrates, and demonstrates. Digital storytelling brings together text, graphics, audio, and video around a chosen theme, often with a specific point of view. Bernard Robin observes that a digital story may be a personal tale, a depiction of a historical event, or simply a way to creatively impart information or provide instruction. In the classroom, they can also foster collaboration when students are able to work in groups, and enhance the student experience through a personal sense of accomplishment (Robin, 2006). The National Council of Teachers of English in 2003, challenged teachers to develop instructional strategies for students to master composing in nonprint media that could include any combination of visual art, motion (video and film), graphics, text, and sound—all of which are frequently written and read in nonlinear fashion (Porter, 2008, p. 11). Included was the process of digital storytelling, where information is conveyed in a way that is more engaging than plain text.”
Common Core writing standards require writing and publishing using digital tools beginning already in Kindergarten and continuing through Grade 12.
Stopmotion Video is a fun and interesting way to have students create stories using the same animation process of frame by frame shooting that students see in animated cartoons and movies. The process of creating a stopmotion video is a very innovative and creative process.
To create a “Paper Slide Video” all you need is paper, drawing utensils, and a way to record. This process can be quick and take one class period and is an awesome way for students to take responsibility for their own learning. Videos can be shared with the class so students learn from each other. Let’s make one together!!
What aspects of digital citizenship need to be addressed when creating digital storytelling projects?
Adobe Spark is an integrated suite of storytelling applications for the mobile and web developed by Adobe Systems. It comprises three separate design apps: Spark Page, Spark Post, and Spark Video.
Comicheads enhances students’ abilities to create and share their stories through designing comics, photo comics, storyboards, digital slides and classic projects with this awesome free app.
Simply take any photo, draw a line to make a mouth, and record your voice. Students can use to act as a person in a book or history or even as an animal! This can be used for so many subjects!!
Clips is a great app for making fun videos to share with friends, family, and the world. With a few taps you can create and send a video message or tell a quick story with animated text, graphics and emoji, music, and more.
Storybird lets anyone make visual stories in seconds. They curate artwork from illustrators and animators around the world and inspire writers of any age to turn those images
into fresh stories.
My Simple Show transforms any text into an animated video you will love. The website adds graphics based on the text you enter or you can change the graphics that you want. It has never been easier to create your own explainer video.
Storyboard That is a graphic organizer and storyboard creator that reinforces english and history concepts in elementary school and beyond. Versatile materials and drag-and-drop technology make this program applicable across grade levels.
Create a simple stop-motion video using this easy to use app. You can save the videos to share for later.
Tinycards is an app and website where students can make their own decks using text and images or use 10,00 existing decks of flash cards on languages, science, art and more.
Billions of images, videos, and digital documents can be found and integrated into projects.
Setting the usage rights shows images that are labeled with a Creative Commons license or those that are considered public domain.
Anyone who grew up reading Highlights magazine in the dentist waiting room will quickly recognize a rebus. Basically it is a story where some of the words are replaced by images. This can be a fun activity for students, both to create and to read. It may even help with younger students who are not proficient at spelling but can choose the image for the word they want.
A music sharing site of all legal to use songs. Great to use with Apple Imovie or Clips.
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
1. Engage your students in a digital storytelling activity or project. Share your experience by posting for others to see!
2. Post a question, an answer, a resource, a picture of your students working on digital storytelling, or an example of student project to the TEC21 Educators Google+ community.
3. Be a resource to at least one new person on your faculty before we meet again.
If the embedded form isn’t cooperating with your device, you can also complete the form HERE.