1. Upcoming events:
2. Let’s take some time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. What were some successes? Tell us about any challenges you faced?
4. Hour of Code – First week of December
1. Discover the educational value of engaging students in coding activities in today’s classroom.
2. Explore a variety of digital assessment tools and learning activities that could be used to assess student progress and achievement.
3. Identify web- and/or mobile-based coding applications to engage your students with during the upcoming international Hour of Code (December 3-7).
4. Create a digital assessment activity which could be incorporated into an upcoming lesson or unit.
Hour of Code provides a variety of fun, student-guided tutorials for all age groups and experience levels. Students do the activities on their own, though many activities include lesson plans for teachers (you’ll see the link when you click the activity) to guide discussion or extend the activity.
Using technology to develop and hone your assessment strategy is one of the most popular topics in education today. There are many tricks to the trade when it comes to creating these assessments. Here are some helpful questions for you as you begin this process:
Students today are goal oriented if you know how to drive them. Using a gaming mentality, students will be more likely to gain the grasp of the process than traditional methods. Listed below is a way to integrate gaming into your classroom.
Student portfolios create a historical account of a student’s path to learning. The students can see the beginning, middle, and the end of the process. There are many resources to assist in this process but you must figure out what is the major goal you are hoping to accomplish.
Authentic assessments are one of the most useful tools for students who struggle with traditional methods of learning. This style of assessment allows the student to show what they have learned using terms of their own devising. Students who show gifts in other areas can utilize their talents to show what they have learned.
What aspects of digital citizenship need to be addressed when conducting formative assessments with your students?
A real-time group brainstorming and decision making website.
The clear way to share complex information. Coggle is a collaborative mind-mapping tool that helps you make sense of complex things.
Code.org increases diversity in computer science by reaching students of all backgrounds where they are — at their skill-level, in their schools, and in ways that inspire them to keep learning.
Kahoot! makes it easy to create, share and play fun learning games or trivia quizzes in minutes.
Flipgrid is where social and emotional learning happens! The leading video discussion platform for millions of PreK to PhD educators, students, and families.
Scratch is a free programming language and online community where you can create your own interactive stories, games, and animations.
Collaborate better. Be more productive. Make beautiful boards, documents, and web pages that are easy to read and fun to contribute to.
Student driven digital portfolios and simple parent communication.
Build wonderful classroom communities with parents and students.
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
1. Develop and incorporate a digital assessment activity to use with your students in a lesson or unit you’ll be teaching before we meet again in January.
2. During the week of December 3–7, have your students join millions of students around the world in participating in an “Hour of Code” (An awesome activity to engage your students in during the craziness of December.)
3. Post to TEC21’s online Google+ community. It can be a comment, an answer to someone’s question, a resource, a picture of you teaching and/or your students learning, or a sample of a digital assessment you used with your students.
4. Be a resource–an inspiration–to one of your colleagues.
5. Registration for the TEC21 Workshop Program for the 2019/2020 school year opens on January 2, 2019. Please encourage a fellow teacher to join us next year! Share with them the value of connecting with other Lutheran school teachers and the impact it’s had on you and your students. Thank you in advance for supporting our mission and vision and being an ambassador for TEC21! #TEC21lcms #LuthEd #LutheranSchoolsThrive