1. Upcoming events:
2. For anyone interested in receiving college credit? The application period is OPEN! Remember that TEC21 is considered a second semester class–EDUC 513. To receive college credit, apply online between today – January 31, 2018.
Degree completion options:
Non-degree completion option:
3. Let’s take this time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. What happened? Were you successful? Did you come across any challenges?
1. Explore the value of coding and assessment tools.
2. Discover coding and assessment tools and resources to use with your students.
3. Implement coding and assessment tools, resources and/or teaching strategies in your classroom.
How to Run an Hour of Code
The Hour of Code takes place each year during Computer Science Education Week. The 2017 Computer Science Education Week will be December 4-10, but you can host an Hour of Code all year round. Computer Science Education Week is held annually in recognition of the birthday of computing pioneer Admiral Grace Murray Hopper (December 9, 1906).
Sample Coding Lessons:
Sphero is a robot (about $100-$120) that allows kids to control it with a remote control or can learn programming.
Make any video your lesson. Find a video and crop it to use only what you need, insert audio notes or record over a video with your voice, and add questions at any point in the video and track your students’ understanding.
Ask a variety of questions throughout your lessons: multiple choice, true-false, and short answer. Write questions out in advance or ask orally on the go. All responses record and can be displayed on the screen during the lesson to get every student response. Then download all data in a spreadsheet to see which students need additional instruction and practice. Website, teacher app, student app.
A simple and powerful tool to help teachers collect real-time data without the need for student devices.
Quizzizz is a fun multiplayer classroom activity, that allows all your students to practice together. Teachers are able to get more detailed feedback than with Kahoot.
Seesaw empowers students to independently document their learning and provides an audience for their work—their peers, parents, or the world. Seesaw saves you time on organization and parent communication, makes formative assessment easy, and provides a safe place to teach 21st Century skills.
6 Easy Steps to Set Up Google Portfolios – Tips on how to use Google Sites to create student portfolios.
Class Dojo – behavior monitoring–YouTube channel
Let’s work together to help build our Chapel resources for each other!
Daisy the Dino is a fun app to use to help teach younger students coding. Used as young as kindergarten with success!
A very basic block coding app that simplifies coding for younger students. Available in iOS, Android, Google Chrome, and Amazon.
Pear Deck works like any slide presentation program you’re used to. In fact, you can even import your old PowerPoints, Google Slides, and PDFs to turn them into powerful interactive Pear Decks right from your Google Drive.
Looking for some inspiration? Take a look at our example activities for many subjects and grade levels.
While we are coming up on the Thanksgiving holiday, it might be hard to do some of these before the break. See how you could format some of these to work for Christmas though!
Again, hard to implement this in time for the actual Geography Awareness Week, but might be a good source for games to incorporate throughout the year to help utilize geography skills.
Socrative is your classroom app for fun, effective classroom engagement. No matter where or how you teach, Socrative allows you to instantly connect with students as learning happens.
Poll Everywhere transforms one-sided presentations into two-way conversations with the audience. This web-based audience response system lets you embed interactive activities directly into your presentation. The audience responds on the web or via SMS texting on their phones.
Poll Everywhere is used by millions of audience members and students every year. It’s trusted by over 60 percent of the Fortune 500, along with more than 300,000 educators worldwide, during meetings, classes, and events.
ExamTime is an online learning platform that gives you the tools you need to prepare, study and succeed.
A free plagiarism checker , grammar checker, and writing guide – I’m checking it out as an alternative to TurnItIn.
A link to 9 word cloud generators to use in your classrooms.
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
1. Design a formative or summative assessment strategy or activity to use with your students and have it include a technology component to it (web- or tablet-based app).
2. During the week of December 4–10, plan to have your students join millions of students around the world in participating in an “Hour of Code” (A great activity to engage your students in during the craziness of December.)
3. Post a comment, link, or student work to the TEC21’s online Google+ community.
4. Be a resource to at least one new person on your faculty before we meet again.
5. TEC21 Registration for the 2017/2018 school year opens on January 2, 2018. Encourage a fellow teacher to be a TEC21 participant next year! Share with them the value of being connected with other Lutheran school educators and the impact it’s had on you, your classroom and your students. Thank you for being an ambassador for TEC21!
Emily Hollendoner – firstname.lastname@example.org