Clinton Township, Michigan
1. Upcoming events:
2. For anyone interested in receiving college credit? The application period is OPEN! Remember that TEC21 is considered a second semester class–EDUC 513. To receive college credit, apply online between today – January 31, 2018.
Degree completion options:
Non-degree completion option:
3. Let’s take this time to reflect on last month’s TEC21 Challenges and share experiences. What happened? Were you successful? Did you come across any challenges?
1. Explore the value of coding and assessment tools.
2. Discover coding and assessment tools and resources to use with your students.
3. Implement coding and assessment tools, resources and/or teaching strategies in your classroom.
Code.org is a great resource for getting you and your students coding easily
The Hour of Code takes place each year during Computer Science Education Week. The 2018 Computer Science Education Week will be December 4-10, but you can host an Hour of Code all year round. Computer Science Education Week is held annually in recognition of the birthday of computing pioneer Admiral Grace Murray Hopper (December 9, 1906).
I have three of these available for you to code with! I pitched these to the principal and he had the tech fund cover the cost since they can be used to code by nearly any grade. I also got one through a MEEMIC grant.
What aspects of digital citizenship need to be addressed when conducting formative assessments with your students?
9 activities for students to create based on the work of real artists makes brilliant use of the iPad. Create mobiles, sound compositions, chance collage, draw with scissors, experiment with paint and more. This can be an art class in itself.
Checks grammar and offers tips. Also can catch plagiarizers!
A fun iPad app that teaches kids how to program and animate by dragging blocks together and watching Daisy preform the action. FREE!
A FREE! iOS app that teaches kids how to program and create animations by dragging-n-dropping blocks together.
LOTS of resources. Many of them are free. I’ve used some of them in class. The random name picker is fun to watch while you make groups or select students for a task.
Instant coding! Simple, but fun and easy. FREE!
A great site for students 4th-8th grade learning how to program.
Probably the most popular site on the list as 1000’s of students have created online games through their very easy to use web interface.
This code based game is not free, but it turns coding into gaming.
A fun iPad app designed for younger kids that has them controlling fuzzballs to complete each level. Each level deals w/ a simple concept of programming and gets more advanced as they get higher. FREE
Lunch Hour at 11:30am/Back to Work at 12:30pm
1. Design a formative or summative assessment strategy or activity to use with your students and have it include a technology component to it (web- or tablet-based app).
2. During the week of December 4–10, plan to have your students join millions of students around the world in participating in an “Hour of Code” (A great activity to engage your students in during the craziness of December.)
3. Post a comment, link, or student work to the TEC21’s online Google+ community.
4. Be a resource to at least one new person on your faculty before we meet again.
5. TEC21 Registration for the 2017/2018 school year opens on January 2, 2018. Encourage a fellow teacher to be a TEC21 participant next year! Share with them the value of being connected with other Lutheran school educators and the impact it’s had on you, your classroom and your students. Thank you for being an ambassador for TEC21!
Contact me if you need anything throughout the month!
Email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone/Text to (586)-413-1276